Odyssey Stratos Monos or Plinius SA-100 to mate with Dynaudio Contour S3.4?

fredorama

In this corner we have a 7 year old mint condition Plinius SA100 (which I might pay to have modified but that is another story), a single chassis Class A amp weighing in at 85 lbs which I can get for about $2000.  And in the other corner, we have a (practically new) twin pair of Odysssey Stratos Monos upgraded by Klaus to have virtually every upgrade available in them (95% of the Kismets he says), weighting in at 65lbs each, and which I can get for about $2400.

Speakers are the Dyn Contour S3.4. Preamp/DAC the Peachtree Nova. My tastes are rock, blues, and jazz mostly.  I owned a Plinius 9200 before and the sound was amazing with this setup. But now I want to do better.

Has anybody had the opportunity to compare both of these (Extremes would be closest match re Odysseys) powering the Dyn S3.4 or 5.4? What are your thoughts?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
I've not heard the Dynaudio's with the Plinius though I have heard it on a variety of other speakers.  Very nice amp.

I have Contour 3.3's and a friend has the Confidence C2.  He was running a bit Krell amp until he heard my Odysseys.  Sold them within a few weeks and bought a pair of the Odysseys and has been very happy. I always thought they were a good match for my Dynaudios.  Overall amp to amp comparison, the Odyssey's are a bit warmer in the mids and fuller in the bottom end but still tight.  To me, that's a good combination with the Dynaudios which can be a bit tipped up with some amps.

Bryan

fredorama

Thank you Bryan. That was very helpful. The C-2s are a very nice speaker. The Plinius has such incredible control over that bottom end and throws such a big sound stage that I am just skeptical as to whether the Stratos would do the same - or possibly better. I know that certain Krell gear can be rather forward sounding, some might even call it bright.... and I understand that the Odysseys are warmer sounding. But you're saying there is plenty of bass which is manhandled firmly by those monos? And that they will deliver goosebumps and a big ol grin?

I so want to pull the trigger on one of these choices this weekend! Thanks again for your help!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
It's still some personal preference. Bass extension and slam was never an issue with the SE's and the Contuor 3.3's - nor is it with the C2's.  The mono configuration helps throw a very nice image.  My 3.3's pretty much disappear - but keep in mind that I listen relatively nearfield.  My music choices are similar to yours. 

The one big advantage to the SE's is Klaus.  Having a 20 year warranty and someone who WILL take care of you - even not as the original owner is worth a good amount to me. 

Bryan