Mac Mini Server questions...

laserboi

Mac Mini Server questions...
« on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:40 am »
Hey Everybody,

I've been debating how I want to jump into the domain of streaming audio.  I want to be able to sit in the sweet spot, browse my entire music library ripped into lossless format and play any song at any time.  Here is my game plan and please, let me know what you think of this strategy in terms of whether or not it will work, and the level quality it can provide. 

Music ripped into apple lossless and stored on a Mac Mini Server
Mac Mini Server into a USB DAC (To be determined)
DAC to my Odyssey Candela tube preamp to amp to speakers

Music playing being controlled by a macbook and or Ipad/touch

My main concern is whether or not the mac mini server with Snow Leopard Server can output an audio signal to the DAC as it does not have itunes?  Can you install itunes on Snow Leopard Server?

Regards,

Pete

skunark

Re: Mac Mini Server questions...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:07 am »
Interesting question but I'm sure the answer is yes.  I would ask why you are after a mac mini server over a mac mini?    Do you plan to use it as a time machine server as well or like the larger capacity?

I would point out that if you plan to use a laptop to control iTunes on the mac mini you will have to use remote desktop so an ipad/touch/iPhone would be the most useful.  Of course could just buy the apple remote or any universal remote to control it.   

laserboi

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:33 am »
I like the idea of the mac mini because of the storage (1tb).

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:43 am »
If you don't plan to use any of the "server" features I would consider the barebones mac mini and pick up a large external disk.   At least then you would have a builtin CDROM to rip tunes.   And you would still have money left over for a timemachine drive and offsite backup if you are terminally worried about losing your tunes like I am.   :)

K Shep

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:12 am »
I use a 2gb Mac Mini and rip my music to a 1TB external hard drive.  The external has the same foot print as the Mini (see photo) I use an identical 2nd external for back up.  I connect the Mini via USB to an Ayre DAC and then on to my system.  Please explain why you would utilize a machine without a "means to rip"? 

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:10 am »
Please explain why you would utilize a machine without a "means to rip"? 

Apple offers a USB cd-rom for use with the mac mini server (and the macbook air), so there's a means to rip, just a bit different..

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2010, 10:28 am »
If you don't plan to use any of the "server" features I would consider the barebones mac mini and pick up a large external disk.   At least then you would have a builtin CDROM to rip tunes.   And you would still have money left over for a timemachine drive and offsite backup if you are terminally worried about losing your tunes like I am.   :)

I agree.

avta

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:48 pm »
I'm inclined to suggest a Mac Mini and external HD. You might want to consider a Squeezebox Touch, soon to be released. This would allow for wireless or wired connection between your computer and your DAC. You would not be limited to a usb connection and the Touch will be able to accept 24/96 files. You would also have access to internet stations music  and other sources via the Touch. I have a set up such as this using an older Squeezebox although I have a Touch on order. I've been very happy with the quality of the sound for what I consider a modest investment. I prefer the external USB HD because it offers flexibility at a reasonable cost.

laserboi

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:59 am »
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.  I think you are all correct I will go with a standard Mac Mini and go with an external hard drive.  Thanks again.

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:39 am »
To keep this topic going, I'm about to go down the same route.  I got a bare-bones Mac mini but I've been too busy with school to figure out what types of hard drives to buy, how to set them up, etc.  If anyone has any advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

PS, my f*&%cking 5 month old laptop keeps losing the ability to connect to the internet...looks like I'll be getting a mac laptop and returning my current piece of crap.  So long microsoft, you've screwed me for the last time.  Very excited!

maxwalrath

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:42 am »
...also, what 3rd party software do I need to burn cd's to Apple Lossless and mp3 files simultaneously? 

skunark

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2010, 05:41 am »
For HDD choices, I wrote this in another post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78352.msg742852#msg742852

As for ripping music:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50722.0
Might take a peak at Max from that list...

Keep in mind that the latest version of iTunes now has an option to convert higher bitrate files to 128kbps AAC when you sync the songs to an ipod/iphone.   To me at least this eliminates the need for  a compressed copy.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:13 pm »
Keep in mind that the latest version of iTunes now has an option to convert higher bitrate files to 128kbps AAC when you sync the songs to an ipod/iphone.   To me at least this eliminates the need for  a compressed copy.

So you're saying I can plug my ipod into the Mac Mini that I have all AIFF files and easily convert them to my ipod (compressed)? If so, how?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2010, 02:42 pm »
So you're saying I can plug my ipod into the Mac Mini that I have all AIFF files and easily convert them to my ipod (compressed)? If so, how?

When the iPod is connected to the computer for synching, there is a checkbox on the Devices > iPod > Summary tab > Options section in iTunes that says "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC".

It is a fixed option, there is no control over the bit rate or file type.  This is available only in the latest iTunes version (for Windows that is 9.1.0.79, not sure what the Mac version number is).

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:04 pm »
Steve,

So just to be sure, my 18k + tracks that are in AIFF Encoder will be only be converted for my ipod right?  When I play on my stereo they will still be AIFF Encoder files.  Right?

Sorry to ask again but I'd hate to have to rip all these Cd's again.   :duh:

BTW-I use Mac Mini with Snow Leopard

Mike Nomad

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:06 pm »
I have not had any problems with previous versions of OS X Server running iTunes. 10.6 should not be any different. As an aside, the streaming software that comes with Server is interesting to mess around with.

Not sure how much price is a motivator for the OP, but, there is a big reason why I never trust a slot loading drive with my music: I have had discs get stuck in drives. The solution involves taking the computer to the Apple store (so as not to potentially void the warranty), and have them perform the extraction.

(and)

I get _way_ better performance from an external media drive that the laptop-grade piece that comes in a mini. Which leads to...

You are stuck with the drive that comes in the mini. Bummer if you want to get into Blu-Ray.

I'm looking at the Mini Server for my next buy. I'd rather have the second .5 TB drive than the slot loader every time.

srb

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:16 pm »
So just to be sure, my 18k + tracks that are in AIFF Encoder will be only be converted for my ipod right?  When I play on my stereo they will still be AIFF Encoder files.  Right?

Sorry to ask again but I'd hate to have to rip all these Cd's again.   :duh:

Yes, this is an on-the-fly conversion when copying to the iPod.  Your library files are untouched.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:26 pm »

Yes, this is an on-the-fly conversion when copying to the iPod.  Your library files are untouched.

Steve

That's awesome!  Thanks.  Now I just need to get the courage up to do it.   :oops:

maxwalrath

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:09 pm »

When the iPod is connected to the computer for synching, there is a checkbox on the Devices > iPod > Summary tab > Options section in iTunes that says "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC".

Steve

How big are these files compared to mp3's?  Sorry if this is a dumb question...when it comes to computer audio, what I don't know could fill libraries.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:27 pm »
How big are these files compared to mp3's?  Sorry if this is a dumb question...when it comes to computer audio, what I don't know could fill libraries.

The AAC file format (an MPEG-4 compressed audio file) is Apple's proprietary the file type that Apple uses as an alternative to the MP3 file.  A 128 kbps AAC would be approximately the same size as a 128 kbps MP3.

Edit:  I just did a conversion comparison, and the AAC version was only 80% the size of the MP3 version (both at 128 kbps), so the AAC compression seems to be a little more efficient than the MP3.

Steve
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2010, 09:03 pm by srb »