« on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:20 pm »
Hello,

The wyred 4 sound STI-1000 has more watts than a sane person will probably
ever need.  But for the additional $500, over the STI-500, the watts doubled,
and at that incremental price I decided to future proof.  My current 4 ohm
speakers, Axiom M80V2s love the power, and sound better than I ever thought
a less than audiophile speaker could sound.  I bought the STI-1000 with the
intent that this will be my last electronic up-grade.  Now for my last set of
speakers.  I am totally awed by the quality, and reviews, of the Salk HT2-TLS.
The wyred for sound integrated amp has "tube like" qualities even with the
forward, somewhat bright, axiom speakers.  This is a living room set-up with
a subwoofer.  My system is 100% for music.  The room is 2450 cu. ft.  Is it
reasonable that the HT2-TLS would supply enough bass without a sub?  Does
anyone have any feed-back on the wyred 4 sound amp and salk combo?

Thank You,

Gad-

writeface

Re: wyred 4 sound sti-1000 and HT2-TLs
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
I was going to buy STI but ended getting STP-SE preamp and SX-500 monos. I use them with HT-3. I do not use a sub.
I am quite pleased with what I have (even though I am curious about Joule Electra tube preamp). One thing I notice is the details/resolution are improved at higher volume levels.

floresjc

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:05 pm »
I don't have any experience with the Wyred4Sounds, but they had offerings I was really looking at before I went with AVA.

I do have the HT2-TL's and they bump. I mean really dig down deep. I'm in a 33x18 room with 8 ft ceilings that also has an opening to another 30x15 room (my basement is split into two halves with stairs in the center). They have no problem filling the space with as much sound as I want. I'm driving them with an AVA double 440, so roughly 240wpc.

I think TJ Hub is in some 4300 cubic feet and he uses a sub, although he has mentioned he wouldn't need to I believe. Perhaps he'll chime in here.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:38 pm »
TJHUB's room is quite large, and I think he'd agree that he doesn't need a subwoofer at all for music.  In fact, he DOES have an SVS PB13 Ultra, but the bass is so powerful he no longer uses it for music.  I've heard it plenty of times, and I can't blame him; it sounds great!

I have not heard the Wyred/HT2 combo, but I have heard the Wyred (500 watters) SongTower RT combo (my ST's, warpdrv's Wyreds) and it sounded very good in his basement.  The Wyred's can easily make the woofers bottom before the amp would ever clip.  I enjoyed the combo quite a bit.

greenhouseman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2010, 11:21 pm »
I think you will be absolutely be fine without a sub. I have used my W4S ( ST-500 ) with both STRT's and HT2's (non-TL version) and have subs available for both and for music i prefer to leave them off. The HT2TL's offer considerably more punch so i do not envision any problems at all. As reported above the Wyreds seem to excel as the volume level increases, so in your size room i feel you will have very few if any limitations to the amount of low end available. Happy listening :D

rahimlee54

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2010, 12:17 am »
If a sub is a concern, I'll let you know that last night my wife was listening to some bass heavy pop music on the radio and the HT2-TLs in the other room were vibrating papers in this room, that is about 20 feet away from them in a straight line.  I am running a AVA 550 EX amp, so a W4S amp would be fine.

Thanks
Jared

GhostintheToast

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:15 pm »
My brother owns the Axiom M60v2s powered by a modest Boston AV-7100 (a Sherwood Newcastle rebrand that puts out an honest 100w per @ 8 ohms).  I've got the AV-7120, which you might have guessed pushes 120w per, and about 200w per at 4ohms.

I would imagine the m60s sound similar to the M80s, just more effortless, and with more bass authority, especially with that kind of power. 

I'm now the proud owner of some beautiful TL2s.  I also ordered a custom Rhythmik 15", which Jim and friends took and made a superior down-firing enclosure for to match the TL2s.  I replaced a coffee table with it, and it is a BEAST!   

I listened to the TLs without a sub for some time.  I still turn it off on occasion and listen to them full-range.  They will do lots of different types of music perfect justice.  Infact the 'coherence' is better without the sub for music that doesn't have extended bass. 

There's no black & white answer here.  I prefer the lower end to have authority and listen to some bass heavy music.  The TLs w/o a sub playing that material are lacking lower end authority with the power I'm giving them. 

This might be a dumb question, but is that amp going to have any negative impact on your speakers?  The output is FAR above the recommended level @ 4ohms. 

_______________________________________ _______
Currently listening to:
Bibio - Dwrcan (Eskmo Remix)

TJHUB

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:44 pm »
I do run my HT2-TL's without a sub.  My room is more like 6,500cF plus a large opening to my dining room/kitchen area.  I'm currently using a pair of Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos to power them (~260wpc ??) and I could fool anyone into thinking my sub was playing.  I've measured down to 22Hz at reference level in my room.  I have never had the HT2-TL's do anything but play clean and clear even at 95db+ at a 14' listening distance.  These speakers are just plain impressive.

However, I wouldn't tell someone not to run a sub with them.  There are so many benefits to doing so.  Is a sub *needed*?  Certainly not in my room. :wink: