Cable managment for drop down projector

Wardsweb

Cable managment for drop down projector
« on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:04 pm »
I need to determine how to retract the power and HDMI cables when the projector retracts back into the ceiling. The housing is a box within a box. The outer box is open on both ends and fixed to the ceiling rafters. The inner box holds the projector that will drop down about 30". This is accomplished with a linear actuator. I was thinking a coiled power cord would work for AC but the HDMI is an issue. Any suggestions?

srb

Re: Cable managment for drop down projector
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:14 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:22 pm »
That looks like a good suggestion.

The only DIY one I can think of would be a weighted pulley idea - kind of like the way the nozzle of the sink works - as you pull the nozzle out, the weight rises, and then when you allow the nozzle to go back in, the weight pulls the "cord" back into the sink area below the counter.

That could be made to work with a pulley, for your app I think.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:29 pm »
That looks like a good suggestion.

At first glance yes, but I didn't read far enough into the Flexicord description:

"... a Flexicord™ cable will hold the shape you put it in and won't recoil. Use it either stretched to its maximum length or as a short, mess-free coiled cable."

:oops:

Sorry.  Never mind!

Steve

Wardsweb

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:11 pm »
What about two pieces of hard plastic or aluminum cable chase that "scissor". I'll call them piece 1 and piece 2. Piece 1 is fixed in the attic on a pivot point. The other end is attached to piece 2 so they can bend (hinge of some kind). Piece 2 is fixed at the top of the projector box on a pivot point. So when the projector is up, they lay flat against each other. As the projector drops down, they "scissor" to resemble one straight piece. This would allow me to use plain straight cable. I hope this makes sense.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:12 pm »
Not knowing all the ins and outs of your design, an "e-chain" may help you keep those cables in line and in control when moving the projector up and down. Look for it on google.

Wayner  :D

Wardsweb

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:44 pm »
Not knowing all the ins and outs of your design, an "e-chain" may help you keep those cables in line and in control when moving the projector up and down. Look for it on google.

Way cool. I don't work in an industrial or robot environment, so this is the first I've heard of e-chain. Thanks

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:51 pm »
You maybe able to get some from McMaster-Carr. It's like a gigantic bicycle chain, hollow in the inside and made of plastic. Very durable and keeps the wires in tow. 1M flexes are not uncommon without breakdown.

This is the stuff you will find on robotic arms, CNC machines and junk like that.

Wardsweb

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2010, 09:44 pm »
I did find it for my application. http://www.mcmaster.com/#cable-carriers/=6h4pz5 They have three foot sections in stock. Thanks again it will make for a very professional and clean installation.