hi end gear newbie questions

caper334@hotmail.com

hi end gear newbie questions
« on: 31 Mar 2010, 06:54 pm »
I am just trying to find some great gear as to what to buy...I plan on ordering ht2 tls very soon as soon as I'm done working and get home...sucks to have to leave home to work but anyway....I read alot of things about dac and things like that...i currently have emotiva amp xpa3 200 watt and a yamaha v863 home theater amp....anyway that is the gear I have and am wanting to know what else I'm missing without having to sell any of the kids lol  and get the best sound I can...well maybe 1 of them anyway lol...thanks for your input and suggestions

kip_

Re: hi end gear newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2010, 07:32 pm »
Not a bad choice on your amp. To further improve sound quality, you could do any of these things for a very reasonable cost:

Room Treatments
Preamp with HT bypass
DAC (not sure how this would work with a AVR).

What is your budget?

gerald porzio

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2010, 07:34 pm »
You need to set a budget for yourself so you don't spin your wheels. The size of the rm. would help along w/ your taste in music.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2010, 07:40 pm »
CD Player, Squeezebox, etc.  What are your sources?  I too plan on ordering the H2-TL's in the next few weeks.   I have a lot of the other stuff already though I may upgrade the amp, and pre.

Start with a budget, from there, you will get tons of recommendations.

kip_

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2010, 07:44 pm »
Since you are running an AVR, are you doing a full surround setup? If so, you may want to consider a subwoofer for movies. The HT2-TL has great bass for music but lacks extension for movies.

fsimms

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:56 pm »
I read alot of things about dac and things like that...i currently have emotiva amp xpa3 200 watt and a yamaha v863 home theater amp

A DAC would be no use to you while you use the AVR.  The AVR takes analog signals and converts them to digital to be processed internaly.  You will get the best sound feeding signals digitally into an AVR.

Bob

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2010, 10:14 pm »
for speakers my budget is the ht2 tl and and the matching center..I think that is around 5500 and for amps I was thinking on another emotiva amp another xpa3 to bi amp the fronts and center...unless there is another alternative....so I guess after the speakers I was probably willing to pay another 2000...I currently just use a PS3 for playing bluray and everything else like music cd's...so that is pretty much all I am willing to spend so hopefully with the addition of another amp I think the emo amp cost me 800 shipping the last time so I was planning on another one....will the ps3 play just as good as a dedicated cd player or should I be looking for something there as well...so with a setup like this with the salk and matching center how should it all sound my room is about 14 wide by 22 long and it is all just gyproc with a area rug on the floor in my basement....thanks for your input....this is where I learn from all you guys where I live there is no real high end audio store ..future shop stuff that's it so if people have suggestions for gear please share their secrets .... I currently have a paradigm sub which I plan on using and then using my current paradigm mains as surrounds ..............thanks cory

mathgeek97

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:18 am »
I currently just use a PS3 for playing bluray and everything else like music cd's
If the PS3 can easily be heard during quiet scenes of movies, I'd buy the Oppo Blu-Ray player of my choice, depending on your needs.  If you have a lot of DVDs get the BDP-83, otherwise save some money and get the BDP-80.
I'd also look at room treatments, either build them yourself or buy from GIK or RealTraps (see the Acoustics Circle here at AC).
I wouldn't bother bi-amping, but that's me.  I'd spend more to get a better 3 channel amp.
Btw, my room with my HT2-TLs is also 14x22 and I don't have any serious bass issues due to the dimensions.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:23 am »
I wouldn't bother bi-amping, but that's me.  I'd spend more to get a better 3 channel amp.

That's what I would do as well.

Steve

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:53 am »
A nice DAC could certainly improve on 2ch sound from an AVR. 
CD-DAC- analog input of the AVR.  I'm sure a good DAC would sound better than the internal DAC of his AVR by a wide margin depending upon the DAC. A nice tube DAC or a warmer SS DAC like a PS Audio Digilink III would warm that Emotiva amp right up.

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:31 am »
In my opinion, a good preamp is your next logical step.  Based on what you have written here a Parasound 2100 preamp would make good sense. 

Order speakers from Jim, hang on to your amp, don't waste money on another amp unless you add channels (speakers), use the PS3 as a player and pick up a preamp.  Get everything in place (new speakers and pre), listen to the Salks, learn about room acoustics, save money and work on your front end when you have the funds.  I wouldn't recommend a DAC with your current setup.  Now, if you had an older CD player and you didn't enjoy the sound of the DAC living in it then a DAC would make sense.  Or if you were planning on going the computer front end route a DAC is a must but IMO everyone should throw as much of their budget at speakers as possible and build around them. 

So, HT2-TL's w/ center channel, Emo XPA-3, a good preamp, mix in your Sub and PS3 player then get acquainted with the system then move forward.

TJHUB

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm »
In my opinion, a good preamp is your next logical step.  Based on what you have written here a Parasound 2100 preamp would make good sense. 

Order speakers from Jim, hang on to your amp, don't waste money on another amp unless you add channels (speakers), use the PS3 as a player and pick up a preamp.  Get everything in place (new speakers and pre), listen to the Salks, learn about room acoustics, save money and work on your front end when you have the funds.  I wouldn't recommend a DAC with your current setup.  Now, if you had an older CD player and you didn't enjoy the sound of the DAC living in it then a DAC would make sense.  Or if you were planning on going the computer front end route a DAC is a must but IMO everyone should throw as much of their budget at speakers as possible and build around them. 

So, HT2-TL's w/ center channel, Emo XPA-3, a good preamp, mix in your Sub and PS3 player then get acquainted with the system then move forward.

This is some great advise with one exception.  With a PS3 as a CD player, if he went the preamp route, an external DAC would be must.

Do not bi-amp.  You have MUCH better places to put money than adding a completely necessary amp to your mains.  The HT2-TLs respond very well to "better" electronics.  They deserve a lot more than any AVR can deliver.  A nice 2-channel preamp with HT-bypass combined with a solid DAC would be the next best step.  Then measure and treat your room if you can. 

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2010, 01:06 pm »
This is some great advise with one exception.  With a PS3 as a CD player, if he went the preamp route, an external DAC would be must.

I didn't know the PS3 was video only, so it doesn't have an internal DAC.  Thanks TJ something new everyday.

kip_

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
I didn't know the PS3 was video only, so it doesn't have an internal DAC.  Thanks TJ something new everyday.

Huh? You can buy a cable for the PS3 with analog video and audio outs. Therefore it has an internal DAC.

I agree with everyone else, biamping would not be the best use of your money.

TJHUB

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:21 pm »

It's not the lack of audio outs, it's the quality of those outs.

divisionbell77

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:33 pm »
A DAC would be no use to you while you use the AVR.  The AVR takes analog signals and converts them to digital to be processed internaly.  You will get the best sound feeding signals digitally into an AVR.

Bob

That isn't really true.  Most mid to hifi AVR's all have a direct stereo feature that simply passes it on with out touching the signal.  Some even will turn off all video circuits, including the front AVR screen(I know my old Denon 3808 did that).

I am not sure on his particular AVR having the feature, but again the 'direct stereo' feature is now pretty much standard.

divisionbell77

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
If the PS3 can easily be heard during quiet scenes of movies, I'd buy the Oppo Blu-Ray player of my choice, depending on your needs.  If you have a lot of DVDs get the BDP-83, otherwise save some money and get the BDP-80.
I'd also look at room treatments, either build them yourself or buy from GIK or RealTraps (see the Acoustics Circle here at AC).
Btw, my room with my HT2-TLs is also 14x22 and I don't have any serious bass issues due to the dimensions.

I will second the Oppo.  I used a PS3 for BR only because I was waiting for the Oppo to be released.  Removing that damn fan sound was well worth it.

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:09 pm »
My yamaha rxv863 105 watt a channel ...I use that for ht but it does have a pure direct mode which uses just 2 channel and that's it...oh 2.1 because my sub stays on too.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:16 pm »
My yamaha rxv863 105 watt a channel ...I use that for ht but it does have a pure direct mode which uses just 2 channel and that's it...oh 2.1 because my sub stays on too.

Then you could use a DAC.  Thats what I do, squeezebox > DAC Magic > Onkyo 805 / Emotiva using Pure Audio mode

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2010, 10:15 am »
I am just trying to find some great gear as to what to buy...I plan on ordering ht2 tls very soon as soon as I'm done working and get home...sucks to have to leave home to work but anyway....I read alot of things about dac and things like that...i currently have emotiva amp xpa3 200 watt and a yamaha v863 home theater amp....anyway that is the gear I have and am wanting to know what else I'm missing without having to sell any of the kids lol  and get the best sound I can...well maybe 1 of them anyway lol...thanks for your input and suggestions

First, dittos on the need for room treatments!  Often the very best bang for the buck in home audio

Next, let me say that a crappy preamp section is the quickest way to kill even the best laid plans.
The problem is furthered by the fact the cheapest preamp that allows you to squeeze every ounce out of your source is the Parasound JC-2 which retails at ~$4000... but can be had for ~$2500 if you are patient and know where to shop. I never used to give the preamp much thought until I heard the JC-2 and realized how much music was shmooshed, veiled, muddied, etc...

As far as sources go I've spent a lot of time demoing over the years and have finally settled on the Wadia 381.  Best balance of transparency, neutrality and PRaT that I have yet to hear...and I really like the volume control that allows me to do away with a pesky preamp!

Some of the other units I have listened to within the last year or so

Pioneer Elite DV-47A, feeding Parasound JC-2...
plays any disk format, sounds exceptionally "average" playing CD/SACD but really shines with DVD audio? go figure. It's ten years old so I don't expect it to run with contemporary designs and keep it for watching DVDs in the guest bedroom.

NAD M-5 with/without Bryston BDA-1 DAC, both feeding Parasound JC-2...
NAD had decent PRaT but overly warm for my tastes with exaggerated bottom end.
Running the BDA-1 off the NAD AES digital out and HOLY COW!!! The BDA-1 ROCKS!!!
NAD had transport issues soon after I sold it (never again)

BAT VK-D5SE feeding VK-20 preamp...
The entry level BAT VK-20 preamp was highly veiled so the poor D5SE never had a fighting chance.
Regardless, the transport build, flimsiness,,etc.. is piss poor for a player at this price level and therefore both were sold after 3 months.

Cambridge Audio 650C feeding Creek EVO int amp...
Provided good PRaT and decent level of transparency. This was a great sounding budget setup  and something I could definately live with if on a tight budget. Also worth mentioning the Creek EVO was a ballsy little int amp and I now understand why they have a following and wonder how the higher priced Destiny with passive preamp section sounds???

If I had to put together a system I would start with a Cambridge 550C, get the best Creek int amp you can afford and then demo the Bryston BDA-1 when funds allow. The new custom servo/transport in the Cambridge 550/650C models is impressive. All can be demoed from AA!!!

The new Oppo 83SE sounds interesting with the Sabre32 DAC but I have never heard it so I can't comment.

The system I would most like to hear is the Ayre CX-5eMP feeding the amazing $18K KXR preamp.
Hopefully Charles Hansen will adapt the KXRs unique volume control to more reasonably priced models in the near future.

For the immediate future I'll stick with the 381 feeding a Parasound A23...while dreaming of the SimAudio W-7... as the little Halo punches well above its weight :thumb: