laser stylus turntable

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
laser stylus turntable
« on: 3 Feb 2004, 09:12 pm »
Brian,

Had an inquiry about the laser stylus turntable VMPS would be showing at CES - did you end up displaying it and can you share more info about it?

Regards,

jgubman

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2004, 09:39 pm »
He ended up displaying it alright. In fact the day I was in the VMPS room he was displaying it and saying "the #@%!ing thing won't work!"...

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
turntable
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2004, 02:11 am »
The laser turntable developed technical problems and did not sound very good.  We ended up not playing it for visitors to our booth.

Mathew_M

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2004, 02:27 am »
Why not a normal stylus based turntable?

What went wrong?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
laser stylus turntable
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2004, 02:58 am »
If it works well, one advantage would be laser playback wouldn't wear the LP out.  According to the professional review I read, the laser is every bit as sensitive to dirt and gunk on the disc as a stylus is- I was surprised by that.  Certainly if one wants their LPs to last it would be cool to be able to play the record without physical contact.

I've never heard one, though, so I can't comment on the sound.  Just that it's a cool concept.

nathanm

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2004, 03:07 pm »
You can get a free demo CD from them if you're curious.  It's kind of cheesy, but it shows how the thing can play problematic records which would be useless on a regular turntable.  Pretty interesting device, although way expensive.  I like the idea of being able to select tracks ala a CD player.

DARTH AUDIO

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2004, 03:22 pm »

JoshK

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2004, 03:52 pm »
Even given its $10G price tage for the standard version I think it is probably worth it for the vinyl collector that has a large prized collection.  They don't wear out their highly valued albums.  If I was into vinyl to this extent I would probably plunk down the cash for something like this.  Instead I prefer to buy new vinyl, burn a CD from it early on and then go ahead a play it traditionally.

nathanm

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2004, 03:54 pm »
Yep, it's the only one of its kind.  I felt slightly guilty about getting the CD considering I don't exactly have 14 grand laying around for a record player, but I was really curious about the technology.  It's just too bad these guys have a 'monopoly' on the technology cause with some competition the price might come down.  But if you have a HUGE record collection I suspect it might make all kinds of sense to own.

maxwalrath

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2004, 04:13 pm »
I would have never opened this thread if it wasn't in the VMPS forum...that thing is REALLY cool. Brian, did you get a chance to hear it before the show when it was functioning well?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
ttl
« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2004, 05:25 pm »
No, our only chance to hear it was Wednesday before the show opened.

PLMONROE

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2004, 05:54 pm »
I guess 14 grand just doesn't buy what it usta.  :lol:

RGordonpf

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2004, 05:42 am »
I heard the ELP laser turntable at their room at the 2004 T.H.E. Show.  The turntable was playing thru pro-audio gear of unknown quality.  I had with me a number of LPs.  We played one that I use for testing equipment - the Athena reissue of Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky, Slatkin/ St. Louis.  Uncleaned, the playback was very noisy.  The LP was then cleaned using their record cleaning machine.  The LP was replayed.  Less noisy this time.  However, there were still many tic and pops.  This record has been played many times, but still sounds good on traditional turntables.  I played the LP, uncleaned, in a number of rooms at the 2004 CES and it sounded great.  Besides the increased noise, I also heard incredible detail.  I heard things that I had never heard before, even when that LP was played on mega buck systems costing far more than the ELP.  I was very much impressed by the level of detail the ELP got out of the groove - at least an order of magnitude greater than I had heard on any other turntable.  However, the sound was analytical, it was not musical.  That could have been due to the other electronics with which I was not at all familiar.  Based on my brief exposure to the laser turntable, I would say that if you are an audiophile and have a library of pristine LPs the ELP might be what you want.  If you are a music lover with less than pristine LPs, you may want to hold off.  I would love to hear the ELP played in a system of known high end components with pristine LPs.  Until then I have to reserve judgement other than to say that technically, the ELP is a stunning achievement.

Mathew_M

laser stylus turntable
« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2004, 07:38 am »
hmmm perhaps then it is the distortion that makes a device 'musical'.  By using a laser instead of a stylus you've removed a lot of what makes vinyl sound the way it does.

errivera

Nostalgia
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2004, 04:12 am »
I remember this laser turntable being around for over a decade. I can't remember the original manufacture but I do remember reading about it way back when. If I recall, the price tag back then was about $40,000. I guess that's why it never really caught on.

I would have to assume with the advance of shorter wavelength lasers today, the performance has been fine tuned to a point where this is a viable option for the recording professional looking to transfer large libraries of discs to the digital format. I myself have a vast collection of 78 rpm discs that I would love to treat to this turntable. Alas, the finances do not permit this extravagence for my records. Maybe one day.

I do have a dedicated turntable for transfer purposes; a converted Technics 1200 II. This includes tonearm enhancements as well as variable speed control from approximately 65 rpm to 80 rpm. It's been doing well enough for me at this time. It keeps my discs wear-free.