Are product expectations and FOTM syndrome getting the best of us?

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
The pattern is a familiar one:

1. A new product is released.
2. A few people buy it and are quick to write glowing appraisals of its performance and how it is better than anything they have heard before.  Their enthusiasm is so great that they respond to every post, and it spills over into other threads.  They cross post on other forums.
3. The early product buzz is so deafening that there seems to be little room for critical analysis.

I am getting to the point with equipment reviews, both amateur and professional, where I essentially think of them as marketing materials.  Yes, I have written a few reviews myself, most recently of the Eastern Electric Minimax phono preamp, and I don't think I do it better than anyone else.  I was most recently tempted by the buzz on the Ray Samuels Audio F-117 Nighthawk phono preamp.  Until, that is, I came to my friggin' senses.  I already have three excellent phono preamps, why would I bother with a fourth?  I don't know what it is that drives us to throw caution and common sense to the wind with audio gear.  Perhaps genetics plays a role and we are predisposed to this behavior.

I'm definitely getting more and more jaded about an owner's enthusiasm for a new product.  And this gushing over with gear love is becoming so pervasive that people who do it have taken to qualifying their comments.  You've seen it too, I'm sure, when people acknowledge they are shamelessly gushing over their new doohickey but then go on to say that they have been an audiophile for decades, and therefore their gushing is more meaningful and relevant than that of the average person.  I suppose.

Does anyone in this hobby use equipment for more than 6 months before looking for greener pastures?  Two years?  Five years?  I have to admit that I've been caught up in this too.  But not lately.  Recently I decided to buy a new pair of speakers to replace the Omega Max Hemps that I have been listening to for two years.  That decision, however, was not made rashly or based on FOTM buzz.  I didn't read a few reviews of other speakers and then suddenly become dissatisfied with my Omegas.  As much as I love my Omega speakers, I have been contemplating a change for three or four months.  And after a lot of research and thinking about what sort of change or improvement I was after, I decided to buy from Audiokinesis.

I also wonder how many audiophiles here and on other forums have accumulated a closet full of gizmos that they no longer use because they went from one FOTM to another, searching for perfection.  They are happy with their latest toy until someone else has a newer toy and suggests it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I know of one person who admitted to buying seven different digital sources in one year, all based on FOTM buzz.  I'm sure all of those sources were great, but I am having a hard time understanding how someone else's enthusiasm for a product compells others to instinctively reach for their wallet.  Does our endless quest for audio perfection mean we are never satisfied with what we have?

--Jerome

*Scotty*

For many people a large part of this hobby's allure is the thrill of the hunt. There is also a "grass is always greener" syndrome at work in many cases. It becomes a self defeating behavior when a person sells something in order to finance a new purchase of something they have never heard and they can't do an AB comparison between the new component and old component because they sold it. This is a real Homer move,D'oh.
 The flavor of the month also happens as a by-product of a lack of experience on the part of the listener. Their reaction,it's the best thing I have ever heard may be valid,but what have they heard? Billions of people have purchased Big Macs,but that doesn't mean I want one. A buzz about a product does not automatically bestow sonic superiority upon it.
My 2cents.
Scotty

ohenry

And so it goes...

Everything is the best at its price point.   :wink:

JohnR

DIY is a good antidote - not necessarily any cheaper tho ;)

chadh

I'm sure there are as many ways to explain and understand this phenomenon as there are audiophiles.  I know I have an explanation - and it's probably just as wrong as the next one.  I hope people will forgive me for sharing it.

Despite all of the exclamations that "It's all about the music," I don't think it's all about the music for many of us.  Many of us like toys.  We like the excitement of acquiring new toys, and of experimenting with new toys, and enjoy the experience of trying the new toys and learning about them in order, ultimately, to make a decision about what each of us likes best. 

Personally, I engage in relatively little of this behavior (I've had the same speakers for 4 years, the same amp for 2, the same pre-amp for about 6 years and am now experimenting with new digital sources after about 5 years with the same one) - but this has more to do with financial and familial constraints than inclination.   If I had the chance, I'd have a new set of speakers each week to try out - and I could list about 15 models of speaker I'd love to spend time with without even thinking about it (which would, of course, necessitate experimenting with alternative amplification as well, and...)

Viewed in this way, the frequency of experimentation may not be a sign of dissatisfaction, but is a metric some audiophiles' enjoyment.  Or, in my case, the infrequency of experimentation is indicative of my own frustrations.

At the risk of stirring up some real controversy (this is not my intention, honestly), I often think that it is the fascination and enthusiasm for experimenting with new toys that explains the widespread aversion to double-blind testing.  It's not a question of whether double-blind testing works.  The problem is that if we use objectively verifiable methods to determine what works and what doesn't, then it completely invalidates the "fun" people can have experimenting with new gear and getting new toys.  We have a case of cognitive dissonance.  Why would anyone ever experiment with amp X if it is known that amp X and Y are sonically equivalent, and amp X is twice the price?  By denying our capacity to know that X and Y are sonically equivalent, we are able to justify buying both X and Y and enjoying the process of trying them out.  Those who stick with X enjoy feeling that they've paid more in order to get the better amp, and those that choose Y enjoy feeling they've found a great deal.  Everyone is happy.

While this story sounds like a criticism of how we work, I don't think of it that way.  I just think audiophiles are expressing preferences for the fun of experimentation over the ability to make the ultimate, objectively verifiable statements about how optimally to enjoy reproduced music.  It's not all about the music at all - it's about having fun.

Chad

Nuance

It happens to all of us because we're excited we found "the one."  But then "the one" becomes "the next one," and many people continue to swap things out, sometimes multiple times in a short period of time.  I am not one of those, but I assume I am one of the people you were alluding to when you said they gush over a product (as I did with my speakers).  Well, I still gush over them, and its been a year and a half, so I guess that's a good thing. 

Like Scotty said, some people care more about the thrill of the hunt; something I'll never fully understand.  I did what I did to achieve the best possible music experience I could within my price range.  That's all I wanted (and got).  Yes, experimenting is fun, but there is such thing as overkill.  We need to find that fine line, as it will vary for everyone.

We need to be careful about taking other's opinions as fact, but that doesn't mean we can't share them.  It's up to the viewer/reader to use common sense and take those opinions with a grain of salt.  It also helps to encourage others to audition and only use writer's and forum members opinions as suggestion guidelines.  The responsibility to put in the proper research and listening time is on the consumer.  If they want to buy based on someone else's opinion, that's their decision (as unwise as some may think it is). 

For what its worth, I do not have a closet full of gizmo's, 10 pairs of speakers cables and power cables that I swear make differences, and certainly am not unsatisfied with what I have.  However, it doesn't mean down the road I won't experiment with different technology or "upgrade" to the next speaker model in the line; its just something that won't be happening every year or two.  Right now I can enjoy the music, and I'm happy.  I'd like to think eventually people stop searching for the holy grail and instead be thankful for what they already have.  The more time we spend worrying that the next buzz product is better than ours, or listening for extremely minute differences between gear that may not even be there, the less time we have to actually enjoy the music/movies.  But again, some prefer the thrill of the hunt, and there is nothing wrong with that.  In the end, it all comes down to sheer enjoyment; whether you're enjoying the music or the hunt, it doesn't matter. 

turkey

I think being thrilled with a new purchase and wanting to share knowledge of it with others is normal. So is seeking to improve your stereo system.

Sometimes it seems that people get carried away with this, and they are then never happy with what they've got.

I know there are people who just enjoy experimenting, but I always wonder what is going on when I see someone go through half a dozen or more different amps (for example) in a year. I wonder if perhaps they don't have a firm idea of what they're looking for and how to find it.

BobM

I found my antidote several years ago. I go to local audio club meetings to hear a wide variety of systems and components (and to meet others with this affliction). I get my fix for the flavor of the month that way.

Then I go home and DIY and mod until I get a sound that I like and am comfortable with. Then I stick with it for years, occasionally modding again for a different flavor. Occasionally as technology advances or as a good deal on a component that I respect and like becomes available I may upgrade. Sometimes that stays and sometimes it gets sold off.

I consider myself lucky to be able to enjoy the DIY/modder side of the hobby. I've learned a lot about how to listen and what kind of "tweak" seems to make a difference and how I would expect it to change the sound overall. It's all trial and error, but it is fun and experiential.

pjg66

Does our endless quest for audio perfection mean we are never satisfied with what we have?
Good topic because it touches on something every audiophile experiences - the yearning to try something new and different (hoping, of course, we always find "improvement").

And yes, as some posters have pointed out, there is something to the "thrill of the hunt".  The upgrade/improvement merry-go-round is full of excitement, discovery, AND frustration!  Because sooner or later the yearning starts again.  It really is a kind of addiction.  A friend of mine (a non-audiophile who is mostly amused by it all) calls it "hiferocious" and refers to the afflicted as "hiferotics".

But after many years of chasing the holy grail (and actually enjoying every minute of it), I finally made the decision that for the sake of my sanity and fiscal solvency I was going to be satisfied with what I have.  I decided to just focus and concentrate on the music and what my systems do right in presenting that music.  That was about ten years ago, and I have never looked back.  Believe me, it's very LIBERATING!  So my oldest still active audio component is 38 years old (an amplifier) and my youngest audio component is 10 years old (a pre/pro). 

Yesterday I had the house to myself (except for my faithful pooch Deepo - a beautiful Great Pyrenees that we rescued from the Gulf Coast).  So I just spent the day listening to music on my main rig - including some Mozart, Haydn, Gene Harris, Herbie Mann, Ray Bryant and the Screaming Blue Messiahs (fabulous British rock from the 80's).  It didn't matter one whit that by contemporary standards this system is old and "obsolete", because it still satisfies.

I still enjoy keeping up with what's going on in audio and haven't totally excluded that I may buy more audio stuff (I recently bought some new video pieces - an HD1080p display and a Blu-ray player).  But I consider that mostly my days of seeking audio perfection are over.  But at this point in my life, who needs it?

Sorry for rambling on so.  Happy listening.

Paul G.

Jon L

Often, "different" is perceived as "better," and it takes first-hand experience and wisdom over time to catch this early on in the game.

bummrush

That's what i thought when i tried a couple dig amps,,live and learn ,,,,they sucked,i'd like to see C and J make some or Van Alstine or any number of manufacturers,i think its mainly a cost saving deal and not in the best interest of the music,but hey i've been wrong any number of times!!!!!!!!!! 

mjosef

Some of us, yes...now what the hell is FOTM? Float or tote me? Fatty on the mountain? Ummm... :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Don't bother with what people buy, check out what they keep.

hmen

Some of us, yes...now what the hell is FOTM? Float or tote me? Fatty on the mountain? Ummm... :scratch:

Flavor Of The Month?

laserboi

Don't bother with what people buy, check out what they keep.

This guy has it right!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

Foaming of the mouth. :dunno:

Nuance

Good topic because it touches on something every audiophile experiences - the yearning to try something new and different (hoping, of course, we always find "improvement").

And yes, as some posters have pointed out, there is something to the "thrill of the hunt".  The upgrade/improvement merry-go-round is full of excitement, discovery, AND frustration!  Because sooner or later the yearning starts again.  It really is a kind of addiction.  A friend of mine (a non-audiophile who is mostly amused by it all) calls it "hiferocious" and refers to the afflicted as "hiferotics".

But after many years of chasing the holy grail (and actually enjoying every minute of it), I finally made the decision that for the sake of my sanity and fiscal solvency I was going to be satisfied with what I have.  I decided to just focus and concentrate on the music and what my systems do right in presenting that music.  That was about ten years ago, and I have never looked back.  Believe me, it's very LIBERATING!  So my oldest still active audio component is 38 years old (an amplifier) and my youngest audio component is 10 years old (a pre/pro). 

Yesterday I had the house to myself (except for my faithful pooch Deepo - a beautiful Great Pyrenees that we rescued from the Gulf Coast).  So I just spent the day listening to music on my main rig - including some Mozart, Haydn, Gene Harris, Herbie Mann, Ray Bryant and the Screaming Blue Messiahs (fabulous British rock from the 80's).  It didn't matter one whit that by contemporary standards this system is old and "obsolete", because it still satisfies.

I still enjoy keeping up with what's going on in audio and haven't totally excluded that I may buy more audio stuff (I recently bought some new video pieces - an HD1080p display and a Blu-ray player).  But I consider that mostly my days of seeking audio perfection are over.  But at this point in my life, who needs it?

Sorry for rambling on so.  Happy listening.

Paul G.

That was very well stated.  Thank you for sharing that.

TONEPUB

It's certainly easy to do.  As I own most of my reference components, I try to keep them for at least 2-3 years if not longer.  Some things I've kept for much longer (CJ PV-1 preamp, 30 years, original Rega Planar 3, 27 years - gave to close friend so he could spin records, then bought another, Oracle Delphi 2, 10 years, Oracle went out of business, gave up trying to buy spares, then three years after selling they came back, picked up a Delphi V that I've had for four years, etc etc.)

The toughest thing to try and get across to our readers and the mfrs. that advertise in our magazine is that once you get a system you are really happy with, hang on to it and get off the roller coaster!  Enjoy your music collection and introduce it to others.

So many people think that a component that they've enjoyed for years isn't good anymore just because something new is out.  Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean you have to change for change's sake.  That's why we never call a component "the best" only to call something else "the best" two months later.  It just feeds the anxiety.

While I am very pleased with my current system, there have been a number of times along the way over the last 30 years, I could have gotten off the train and been very happy.  I hope as many of you as possible can do the same!

doug s.

• makin' music
i bought my active subwoofer system ~15 years ago; upgraded the drivers from the factory about 10 years ago, upgraded the active x-over to dsp speaker/room correcting x-over about two years ago.

i bought my preamp about twelve years ago, upgraded it twice w/factory-recommended upgrades.

i bought my turntable about twelve years ago, upgraded it a couple time along the way...

i bought my fono stage about ten years ago.  the "fotm" thing has almost gotten me a few times here, but so far, i haven't succumbed.   8)

i bought my dac about ten years ago; modded it a lot the first year; bought a second one w/different mods a few years ago; i still have both.  i have used a couple different transports w/my dac; the one i have now is going on two years.  i wish there was something to succumb to regarding dacs, but nothing at anything less than silly prices will make any meaningful difference, imo. i keep looking, tho...

i have several different speakers; i have been listening to the same pair for about a year and a half now.  i haven't bought any new ones in about a year.  if i had more room, (i live in a studio apartment), i'd possibly have switched out more speakers, or even bought different ones to try.  for now, i am still enamoured of my horns, and they're too freaking big to easily move out of the way, if i want to hear, say, my piega's or gemme tanto's.  speakers are about the last frontier for me - so many different ways to skin a cat, so to speak, and i want to try them.  when i get back into a regular house, this may start up again.  but, definitely a reason to shop used - if you want to try a lot of different things, it can get wery expensive buying new.

i have several amps; but i haven't bought any new ones in quite some time.  i am pretty-much set now - i have amps that will work w/any speakers i might decide to try.

i listen to a different tuna every few weeks.    :green:  i presently have about fifty; they get rotated a lot.  i need to sell about half of them, but i find myself too lazy - it's much easier to buy than to write an ad to sell.   :lol:

ymmv,

doug s.

Mike Nomad

Great thread.

<rant>

I've never let it get the best of me. The bookshelf speakers I have, I've had for 10 years. The amp in my main system I replaced recently, after a 10 year run. The speakers in my main system are going to get replaced in the next couple of years, after a 10 or so year run.

The bookshelf speakers I keep because I haven't heard any others I like better. The amp got replaced because something a lot better came along. The speakers in the main system are getting replaced because of a significant change in room geometry. I audition, borrow, etc. I take a lot of time before making a buy. Money gets spent on that which I am going to keep. I think the shortest run I've had with a piece of gear is 3 years.

Part of what keeps me from "playing the game" is that I know that recording (and playing back recorded) music is, at best, an approximation. The part of the game I _really_ don't like, are the people who go on about "right and wrongs" of how gear performs when they've never worked in the recording industry, and their bias (sorry) has everything to do with how much money they've spent, along with what their friends think.

The Offenders are (for me) easy to spot: They talk more about the gear than the music. They hear, but they don't listen. They take in, but they don't understand.

If you like a piece a gear, great. Tell me the difference it made. Tell me what steps/process you went through to arrive at the conclusions you reached. If the change "moves" you, then it was a good change. Yes, things that trigger an emotional response are subjective. However, a response to change is not subjective.

I guess this is all tilting at windmills. With the recent move to insane amount of compression slathered on most music, the move to in-ear monitoring, and general downward spiral in quality of product(ion), I guess we should be thankful that we can hear Nero fiddle while Rome burns. Good or bad, This Thing We Have dies with us.

</rant>