ICE Power Amp Differences

Dan Banquer

Re: ICE Power Amp Differences
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2010, 05:29 pm »
Dan, are you referring to the curves on page nine of the 500ASP module data sheet? Can you be more specific about what we should look for?
http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/files/solutions/icepower500aspdata.pdf
Page 9 has the data I posted on earlier. Note that the ICE amp has good linear response up to about 1 kHz and becomes non linear after that, which is why many of us recommend it as a subwoofer amp.
Regards;
   Dan Banquer

mhconley

« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2010, 07:32 pm »
I recently replaced my home theater's 110 watt per channel MOSFET Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi AV receiver with a 140 watt per channel ICEpower Pioneer Elite SC-25 and I love it.  I use Paradigm Studio Reference speakers in my home theater and found through critical listening that I did not particularly like the upper treble produced by the aluminum dome tweeter on the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.4's I had in my Parasound A 21 amplified stereo system.  Perhaps the ICEpower's higher output impedance (0.350 ohms at 20kHz vs. 0.009 ohms at 1kHz) has provided the high frequency attentuation the Paradigm's need.

In any case the SC-25 is audibly clearer and definitely provides more visceral impact at similar sound pressure levels than the receiver it replaced.  Music is far more musical and generally more involving.  I did not really care for music played on the prior receiver.

Perhaps ICEpower amps are a better match for today's brittle sounding metal dome tweeters than traditional solid state amps.

Martin
« Last Edit: 5 May 2010, 12:05 am by mhconley »

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2010, 05:49 pm »
PAT from ART posts here a fair bit... or used to, not sure any more

Missed this thread when it was active. Hope no one minds jumping in after it has cooled off.

Good for subwoofer only? Well, to be honest, I think that applies to 2 of the 3 power level modules. I have futzed with these things, for way too long, trying to solve that problem. At the present, I am building a set for a customer, that we are also doing a electronic crossover for. I finally threw my hands up, about a week ago, and said "Screw it!!!!!!!!!! It won't see anything above 400 Hz, so who cares about what the damn output filter does, above 10 kHz?"

Back in the day, when we were perhaps only one of three companies who sold amps using these modules, I cautioned everyone about their frequency response "problems". Some folks called me every dirty word in the book. Which, I did not understand. Potentially, I was costing us sales, by 'fessing up to their shortcomings. So, who was I hurting, by doing so. Some guy who plunked down $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on Jeff Rowland's version? (No, it was some guy who bought an amp from the 4th or 5th outfit to make an amp with these modules.)

OK, in summation, and as is our policy to be up-front with our customers, I seriously would not advise using the 500W or most definitely the 1000W versions for full-range amps. Yes, I know other companies (some of whom are buddies of mine) sell amps, that way. If that is what you desire in a full-range amp, then continue to buy their fine products. If you want full-range, from us, you are only going to get the 100W (8 ohm) one.

Now..........on top of that.............having heard all the different ones, many times, over many years, I stand by my initial judgement:

1.) The 100W is the smoothest of the 3. Not only just in frequency response, but also it just sounds cleaner.

2.)The 500W, and obviously the 1000W, can drive the hell out of any LF driver. The 1000W more so than the 500W. In the development stage, we ran the 500W at a lower voltage, to see how much the rail voltage was part of the reason why it was better on the bottom than the 100W.

Q= 0.5*C*V^2.

Yep, the voltage is the reason. The 500W sounded a lot closer to the 100W, as we ran the rail down.

3.) If you look at their published specs, the 1000W ASP is rated for "20 to 20" service. But, the stand-alone 1000W "hanger" module is only rated to 1 kHz.

HUH??

What is different? Well, to me: nothing. Except if you factor in these modules were in all likelihood developed for powered loudspeaker applications. If the big amp was only for the LF driver, who cares what it does (or doesn't do) at 20 kHz? Even if the 500W has a droop, it can be corrected! But, when you try to make a "one size fits all" stand-alone amp, you get problems.

4.) They still..........for some odd reason.............sound best on planar speakers. Such as the Maggies. Perhaps it is because the Maggies really need that punch in the bottom, to make them sound right. Or the Maggies don't expose the potential flaws, the modules have. Or maybe it is just because the modules exhibit their best FR into 5-6 ohm loads.

Or, all of the above.

Mind you, they do work with other speakers. We recently did a local audio show, with Van Zyl:

http://www.vanzylaudio.com/

It was a good match. The Van Zyls do not have a choke, in series with the woofer, and the control of the ICEpower modules came through. While I have not measured their impedance, it must have been a good match, as the FR sounded right.

(Or, it could be it also had a ribbon tweeter. Nice, smooth Z.)

So, there you have the latest inside scoop. Those of you who have been waiting 5 years or so on the upgrade(s) now know I really have been working on them. Just still frustrated as hell. If all goes well, on the set we are working on, we should be ready to announce the upgrades are ready, in the near future. They are quite extensive, but will not require any new PCBs. Haven't listened to it yet, as they are not anywhere near ready to do that. Stay tuned.

Pat

whell

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2010, 06:08 pm »
Here's mine:

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=5&Tab=2&Pic=1

It uses two of the 1000ASP ICEpower modules.  I LOVE the sound that this amp is capable of.

Mike

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2010, 06:47 pm »
I've not critically listened to them as of yet, but for the secondary basement system (even though it does not see tons of use), I'm probably getting close to wanting a more modern receiver (I currently have an old Marantz SR-7300 OSE down there with a bunch of other things including a PS3, a Marantz DV9600 and an old Micromega DuoPro DAC - generally the system gets hand me downs vs. selling and i'll end up giving away or selling something that is cheaper, less high end and less aggravating to get rid of) and while I largely use the projector and 88 inch screen in the basement for daytime sporting events typically during football system the idea of the new Pioneer Elite SC-35 intrigues me and would probably work well down there.  I have old B&W P6s as mains and I just got used LM-1s for height channels (for the heck of it) and mounted but of course not hooked them up yet (probably will end up hooking them to an old NAD power amp as the room is large, I only have 6.1 and it will relieve the receiver a little if I crank it).  My bigger concern not being familiar with them is more for home theater vs. music.  If I'm using 6 of 7 channels for home theater will it run out of gas in a large room (the speakers of course are reasonably efficient all around 90db - I have a couple of B&W CDMs - one for the center and one for the rears).  I would think it be good enough power wise for 2-channel music listening.  I follow threads like these to get input and various point of view with people using different speakers and sources with them

muralman1

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2010, 07:13 pm »
ART is correct. The 100 ICE is very good according to a reviewer. H2O fits that module with it's great power supply for $2k. There is a review pitting it against a tube amp costing twice as much. The reviewer bought the H2O.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2010, 10:27 pm »
Caveat:

On the right system. On our Maggies, folks say the amps sound very "tube-like". Just with more "oomph".

On other systems *.............I have cringed, at times.

Just like anything else in audio: it takes the right mix to get the sound that you want.

Pat

* = horn systems, mainly