Listening to new 7BSST-2

Waker

Listening to new 7BSST-2
« on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:40 am »
Just got my new 7's going today and, compared to my 2003 4BSST, they are more relaxed and detailed out of the box.  How much better should I expect these to become after a couple of weeks? 

Waker

Re: Listening to new 7BSST-2
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:31 pm »
To rephrase the question:  After the rigorous factory burn in of Bryston amps, is there an additional period of time in which these amps will continue to break in and improve?  It would be interesting to hear listeners' describe their sonic experiences with new Brystons.   

Dilbert

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:49 pm »
To rephrase the question:  After the rigorous factory burn in of Bryston amps, is there an additional period of time in which these amps will continue to break in and improve?  It would be interesting to hear listeners' describe their sonic experiences with new Brystons.

IMHO - yes. Don't ask me to explain why, though. :banana piano:

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm »
Hi Waker,

I installed my new 7B2's last June and noticed right away the relaxed and detailed presentation but did not experience that breathtaking wow factor some people use to describe the introduction of a new component.  Over time I sensed a significant improvement in imaging, increase in the size of the soundstage, purity and clarity at the high end.  The closest I got to a wow factor was with solo piano and female vocals.  I can't tell you how much of the "over time" improvements were actually break in related or the fact that I had more recordings listened to under my belt.  That is to say maybe the 7's were good to go out of the box and it took a couple months of listening before concluding they were a major improvement in my system.  BTW I didn't transition from another Bryston amp as you did.  Variables, variables, what to do? :scratch:

Your post implies without saying it that you are underwhelmed at this point.  From my experience its way to soon to panic. :nono:

Bill

Waker

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:20 pm »
Your post implies without saying it that you are underwhelmed at this point.  From my experience its way to soon to panic.

I am truly impressed, and more so the next day.  I am hearing more of the instruments, the stage is bigger, the low end is huge and rich.  I look forward to even more discoveries.   

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:46 am »
Burn in may be part of it, but I think it takes about 2 weeks for your brain to learn to process a new sound. I think you'll come to realize with music you're familiar with, that the SST/2 processes subtle detail that the SST doesn't.

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:58 am »
Burn in may be part of it, but I think it takes about 2 weeks for your brain to learn to process a new sound. [...]

Exactly my thoughts  :eyebrows:

I got a new 4B SSt2 last week. I don't think that it "breaks in". How would it know when to stop doing so? :scratch: Or is this "break-in" just the process of slow degradation until a component will completely fail?

But I think that I was able to hear a difference from the "cold" state to the "warmed up to normal operating temperature" one. So I keep it "on" when I'm home.

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:14 pm »
Exactly my thoughts  :eyebrows:

I got a new 4B SSt2 last week. I don't think that it "breaks in". How would it know when to stop doing so? :scratch: Or is this "break-in" just the process of slow degradation until a component will completely fail?

But I think that I was able to hear a difference from the "cold" state to the "warmed up to normal operating temperature" one. So I keep it "on" when I'm home.

Nap.  :thumb:

:icon_lol: not laughing at you, that was just hilarious....

math-geek

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:06 am »
I don't know that I am "down" with break in but I did hear a fantastic difference in "sound" quality quite recently.  I recently sold a Krell 300iL and bought a Krell 400xi from a friend of mine.  I listened to the 400 xi on a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1s and it souneded great, that is until I heard his new Krell FBI powering the C1s.  That combo left me wanting, big time!  Big amps seem to bring a level of control that lesser amplifiers cannot seem to achieve.

I am used to my "sound" now but I cannot get that other "sound" out of my head. :green:  I know that a Bryston 14BSST , 28BSST or FBI can bring me to another level but how do I afford it?

Congrats on the powerhouses that you own!

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:26 am »
Hmmm,how to afford it,WORK,WORK and more WORK.that works for me (no pun).
I seem to put something in my head and whether it calls for working weekends or evening to finish a job,that's what I'll do.
I use to eat out all the time,breakfast,lunch ect.That adds up to quite a bit of coin in a month.
Even a couple of coffees a day adds up to a bit in 30 days.
I think my Chinese wife is slowly converting me to her way of thinking :o..
We eat at home,pack a lunch to work ect and it sure pays as in a short time I aquired alot of Bryston gear.I know a person who eats just lunch everyday 10-11.00=50.00 a week=200 a month.
And the the 2 coffes a day=60.00.
I didn't realize how much I was spending till the wifey whacked me on the head :nono:.
Of course all the extra cash had to go on gear :lol: 8).

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:21 am »
That makes lots of sense.  You ended up feeling healthy with home cooked meals. :thumb:  More money to buy Bryston gear.  Save up, then buy. 

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:32 pm »
Hmmm,how to afford it,WORK,WORK and more WORK.that works for me (no pun).
I seem to put something in my head and whether it calls for working weekends or evening to finish a job,that's what I'll do.
I use to eat out all the time,breakfast,lunch ect.That adds up to quite a bit of coin in a month.
Even a couple of coffees a day adds up to a bit in 30 days.
I think my Chinese wife is slowly converting me to her way of thinking :o..
We eat at home,pack a lunch to work ect and it sure pays as in a short time I aquired alot of Bryston gear.I know a person who eats just lunch everyday 10-11.00=50.00 a week=200 a month.
And the the 2 coffes a day=60.00.
I didn't realize how much I was spending till the wifey whacked me on the head :nono:.
Of course all the extra cash had to go on gear :lol: 8).

I agree with the spending bit.Besides those things there are other things that ebb away at funds.Booze,smokes,take out,gambling,joy riding,take out ,taxi's,expensive clothes, and the list goes on.I know all about scrimping.
Funny thing is,someone I know does all those things and complains he can't save.To that I say self control.

By the way drummer my brother has told me he is going to sell his Neil Peart snare drum since he is in the same boat as myself.No room to use his gear.If your interested it;s a fantastic snare.

drummermitchell

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:22 pm »
Hi 1 oldguy,appreciate the heads up.I did check out the Signature snare before.
Talking about snares,DW makes great drums for sure,as do others.
Looking at that snare it has Birdseye maple withwalnut inlays,gold plated hardware(24K).
Maple is a superb wood for drums(great tonal character,with great projection.
I personally like both the maple+brass snare drums(depending on the music).
As far as the DWs drum hoops,I like diecast(they are very ridgid)they seat the drumhead very well on
the shell of the drum.
Also for me,doing rimshots on the(rim-head)I prefer the solidiness of diecast.
The shell I like less plies as possible(glued seam joints),of course all that walnut inlay looks very nice indeed.
The 24K hardware doesn't do much for me,even though it's great eyecandy.
I guess what i'm saying is,I'm a meat and potatoes kinda drummer(simple with no glitter)
My Noble+Cooley avatar is quite a simple pc.She's a 1pc diecast aluminum shell,
same molding process they did in the 1800s.
my Maple Gretsch(diecast rims)is only 3ply(very little glue joints),no support rings on the upper+
lower shell(she resonates with no restrictions from bracing).
I guess they are like bryston in a way,they get to the music (without the eyecandy+glitter).
Simple+ to the point+they make gold records,wait a minuet,I never got quite that far :scratch: :lol:..,sorry for the ramblin,I do get carried away.

mclsound

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
I use Pear BLX in Sequoya Red(all birch,Dual 22 kick,18 and 16 floor,10,12,13 toms 6,8,10,14,15" rototoms,but...wait for it....a extra deep(11"deep) maple  in Sequoya red I got in 1991 at Cosmo's big sale in Toronto.MLX-ED 14"snare.You can get pretty close to the early Van Halen log snare sound.I will get pic in my gallery soon.

Dilbert

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:59 pm »
That makes lots of sense.  You ended up feeling healthy with home cooked meals. :thumb:  More money to buy Bryston gear.  Save up, then buy.

And, you'll still be alive to enjoy that 20 year warranty! :wink: :lol:

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:06 pm »

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2010, 09:02 pm »
Yes,Mitch Mitchell with Hendrix.I remember the first time I heard All along the Watchtower :drool:.
Way better than sex when the music is in the pocket,a totally different feel :lol: :o.
Mitch used Gretsch drums also.
My favorite album was Experience.and then I came across Little wing,the sparce tom fills between verses was just.........where's the wife.
                                             Great memories :thumb:.

95Dyna

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm »
Yes,Mitch Mitchell with Hendrix.I remember the first time I heard All along the Watchtower :drool:.
Way better than sex when the music is in the pocket,a totally different feel :lol: :o.
Mitch used Gretsch drums also.
My favorite album was Experience.and then I came across Little wing,the sparce tom fills between verses was just.........where's the wife.
                                             Great memories :thumb:.

Great memories indeed, drummer.  Little Wing is such a beautiful song and then there was Derrick and the Dominoes rendition featuring Duane Allman and Eric Clapton.  I just acquired a drumless (perish the thought) arrangement of the song on a Chesky Records SACD by Valery Joyce.  It is just hypnotic.  There is a shimmering sound effect moving back and forth at the back of the stage that just might be brushes on the snare but can't tell for sure.  All Along the Watchtower is one of my favorite Bob Dylan creations.  Did you know it was inspired by Chapter 21 of the Book of Isaiah?  When you read it you'll see references to horsemen riding in pairs and of course the watchtower itself.  Keeping with the topic they sound great through the 7B SST2's.

drummermitchell

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:35 pm »
95,i have to check that out,Thanks :thumb:.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2010, 02:21 am »
Noble & Cooley...beautiful drums.