Tube pre and sub

sanjaygolf

Tube pre and sub
« on: 26 Mar 2010, 04:10 pm »
Just got my first tube gear, Mapletree preamp. I have my sub hooked up to it and what strikes me about the setup is how less localized the sub is then when I had a SS preamp. My mains are running full but my sub is crossed over at 100Hz but even still it seems to blend in a lot better than before. I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind this?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Tube pre and sub
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010, 05:33 pm »
 could be many things. Maybe the Mapletree has less gain. The outputs are not wired together [ common ground and positive]. Correct phase.

charles

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:54 pm »
What were you comparing the preamp to?  A SS preamp, or a receiver?

sanjaygolf

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2010, 06:20 pm »
SS preamp. Emotiva RSP-1 to be exact. For both I had the crossover set the same and for both I adjusted the level on the sub to match the mains. Yet, with the tube preamp the sub blends in a lot better.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2010, 08:08 pm »
SS preamp. Emotiva RSP-1 to be exact. For both I had the crossover set the same and for both I adjusted the level on the sub to match the mains. Yet, with the tube preamp the sub blends in a lot better.

Just not with subwoofers, I find that to hold true for loudspeakers in general. SS gear for me seems to focalize the drivers with their ultraclear linearity while tube gear adds both fullness and 3D to the sound stage which all go hand in hand with hiding the loudspeakers (my take anyways). It's all a personal preference thing, I like a little bit of both myself in my system.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:44 am »
The USP-1 has both a high and low pass filter built in and it could be you may have had it set to where a gap in response was happening.  With the tube pre you are running the speakers full and just crossing the sub.  If I understood what you are saying it's two different set ups because the USP-1 has a crossover where the tube pre does not.

The USP-1 has me curious, I'd like to get my hands on one to see exactly how that crossover set up works.

scp2

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm »

while tube gear adds both fullness and 3D to the sound stage which all go hand in hand with hiding the loudspeakers 

Robin

I hope this is true..I am in the process of replacing my S/S pre for a tube unit. That is exactly what I am hoping to gain.

Barry

Cheers,
Robin

sanjaygolf

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2010, 01:40 pm »
The USP-1 has both a high and low pass filter built in and it could be you may have had it set to where a gap in response was happening.  With the tube pre you are running the speakers full and just crossing the sub.  If I understood what you are saying it's two different set ups because the USP-1 has a crossover where the tube pre does not.

The USP-1 has me curious, I'd like to get my hands on one to see exactly how that crossover set up works.

I had a RSP-1, but it should be the same as the USP-1 and I tried it at full range+sub as well and there was still localization.