plans wanted for curved laminated horn

versus rider

plans wanted for curved laminated horn
« on: 26 Mar 2010, 07:17 am »
Hi all, I am looking for detailed drawings for a carfrae little big horn type of horn. i.e. a curved horn made possible by cutting several layers and laminating them to produce a curve like the carfrae. A design for lowthers or fostex FE126 or 127  would be good. I intend to make a jig of the shape and then cut all the panels roughly and trim to the jig with a laminate cutter with a guide wheel. A laborious task but when I have plenty of time and patience not a problem.

chrisby

Re: plans wanted for curved laminated horn
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010, 07:00 pm »
If you're talking about the fabrication method described elsewhere as "layertoning" (stacked laminations of flat sheet goods),  be aware that regardless of your patience and skills with router /sanders it is extremely wasteful of materials, and while it can allow some very interesting designs, there's no consensus as to the sonic advantage for a back loaded horn.

OTOH if you're talking curved as in bending thin sheets of veneer, rubber ply or thicker KerfCore, etc.,  the material yield can be much better -although the time factor will still be higher than conventional rectilinear /flat panel construction.  (and the last portion of the previous paragraph would still apply)