4 Ohm Power?

boycephoto

4 Ohm Power?
« on: 23 Mar 2010, 07:35 pm »
I have an OmgeaStar EX 440H and I am wondering what the power output is into my 4 ohm Magneplaners?  Thanks

Dave

Wayner

Re: 4 Ohm Power?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2010, 07:48 pm »
Dave,

I'm sure Frank will chime in here at sometime, but at 4 ohms, I think your gonna get about 400 watts per channel. That should make the maggies bark like a dog for you.

Wayner

Minn Mark

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:22 pm »
I upgraded from an Omegastar 440H to Insight 440H, driving Maggies 3.6 R's.   IMHO, its overkill---way plenty headroom to drive to any reasonable (and sometimes UN-reasonable) listening levels.   But at the time I had the $$ to go for the AVA 'big gun', so I did it.  I am using single runs of Monstercable with the OM jumpers on the speakers, so no bi-wire, etc.

I LOVE the sound I get with this combo on all styles of music.

Whats your opinion?

Cheers,

Mark

boycephoto

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:20 am »
Hi Mark,
I  also have 3.6's and have considered upgrading to an Insight model.  Yes, the amp has plenty of power, I use Kimber 4tc as jumbers and Soundstring speaker cables (I won them in a drawing at AudioFest AK last year).  What difference did you hear when you upgraded to the Insight amp compaired to the Omegastar?

I am still wondering what the 4 ohm power output is of the Omegastar EX 440H is?  Any idea Frank?   

Dave

srb

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:39 am »
Hi Mark,
I am still wondering what the 4 ohm power output is of the Omegastar EX 440H is?  Any idea Frank?   

While you are waiting for Frank to answer, you can figure that most solid state class A/B amplifiers with a good power supply (and without transformer outputs) should be able to develop at least 60% more power at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms.

The 440H should be able to deliver at least 350W @ 4 ohms.  Wayner thinks it might be closer to 400W.  Somewhere in there.  And like he says, that "should make the Maggies bark like a dog".

Steve

Minn Mark

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm »
Hi boycephoto,

See mine and other responses in the topic in Feb 2010, " Omegastar updrades"....for my ears, everything is better since upgrading to Insight(DAC, pre-amp, amp). You will not be dissappointed.  :D

Cheers,

Mark