Tube vs SS preamp and soundstage

Delta Wave

Re: Tube vs SS preamp and soundstage
« Reply #20 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:31 pm »
Yes "Moron" is reserved for when you blow something up, like a $1500 modified DCX, or try to rewire an amp and when testing whether it works you use a $50 audiophile grade Furutech fuse forgetting that it is installed and blow it because your wiring was not done correctly. Those are moronic moves, and... uhh... I'm just using them as uhhh... random examples... Yeah random examples, not something I have actually done myself.  :roll:
I've heard about things like that... like say at the 2010 CES in the VMPS room... ouch indeed!

How's this one... as an "example"... painstakingly positioning your awesome vintage M&K S1Bs in your new home only to bump into one and see it come crashing to your newly installed solid hardwood floor so the tweeter cabinet completely breaks off from the main driver cabinet. That's one of MY personal favs.  :duh:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:20 pm »
Put a couple hundred hours on the tubes and call me in the morning. 8)

Agreed. At least 100 Hrs before they open up. You should be getting better decay of notes, air, and a fuller meat on the bone sound. Enjoy and welcome to the world of tubes.

charles

sanjaygolf

« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:52 pm »
I got everything used so there should be no problems with having to break in.

kach22i

• My Site
« Reply #23 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:49 pm »
If you have no idea how old the tubes are, or if someone scavaged the pre-amp for parts like the tubes (replacing them with old or new bad tubes) then perhaps you need to retube.

I'm no expert but if you wait until you hear something seriously wrong then chances are there will be.

FYI: I needed a full 125 hours for my amp tubes to break-in. I'm just guessing that pre-amps tubes which run at a lower stress level (they last longer) may take even more time to break in.

Bigfish

« Reply #24 on: 23 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm »
Thanks. It's been fun listening to my music collection again. I was always afraid of tubes since I thought it would color the sound too much and not provide accurate music reproduction. But my fears have been washed away by what I've been hearing so far. I'm really glad I took a chance.

I hate to tell you but valves will likely be a part of your long-term audio future.  Once you try them and hear what you have been missing there is only one direction - more tubes!  I use a ModWright Transporter (tube output stage) and the Mapletree preamp in my system with Odyssey Monoblocs.  The Odyssey's are up for sale because I have heard tube amps in the system and I have to have that sound. 

Good luck on your journey!

Ken

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:04 am »
These fellows are correct: if you're unsure how old the tubes are, replacements would be a really good idea, the break in period will be tedious but worth it and it's very easy to get hooked on the tube sound. 

Bigfish

« Reply #26 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:22 am »
Sanjaygolf:

In an earlier message you indicated you have some 12SN7 and 6SN7 tubes which the Mapletree will utilize with a simple flick of a switch.  The 12SN7s are essentially sonically equivalent of the 6SN7s at approximately 50% of the price.  If you can find a pair of Tung-Sol 12SN7 round plates for a couple of hundred dollars or so you should jump on them because you are going to love them! 

Have fun!

Ken