Bugle up and running.

sl_1800

Bugle up and running.
« on: 21 Mar 2010, 12:05 am »
I purchased a Bugle and Power Supply kit complete with all the parts from jcb0322 (Jack).  The kit arrived in just a couple of days and was complete with everything needed other than a case.  I had not assembled any electronic kits in some time so I started with the power supply and then the Bugle.  I'm happy to say it all worked perfect on my first try, no problems at all.  If you are thinking about building one of these kits be sure to get a really, really, really small tipped soldering iron and very small diameter solder.  Follow the instructions and all should go well.

Now for the sound, this is a very first impression as it has been playing only a hour or so.  It sounds great, I only had two different late 80's Adcom preamps with phono stage as of lately and a just built Bugle is much better to my ear than either of the other two.  And to me it's fantastic for such a small amount of money.  Now I am in need of a nice case that will do it justice.

rhombus

Re: Bugle up and running.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm »
Have you seen this write up in diyaudio. It has a parts list and some pictures for an enclosure.

Barry

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=611&view=previous
 :thumb:

nelsdave

Re: Bugle up and running.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2011, 09:53 pm »
I was the author of that post on diyaudio. I have used my Bugle very satisfactorily to rip LPs to digital.

Others have used separate cases for the power supply and for the Bugle. I have found that the one case I used, with sufficient stand-off distance between the power supply and the bugle and with attention to grounding, lead length, and dressing, is dead quiet with headphones and high gain. The ground connection between the turntable and the bugle is important. If I remove that wire, noise goes way up.

If you design your own case and are pleased with it, why not post pictures so others can learn.