Sound 80 version of Appalachian Spring

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Sound 80 version of Appalachian Spring
« on: 20 Mar 2010, 10:10 pm »
I suspect that this vinyl may be hard to find, but I highly recommend it.  Apparently Copeland originally wrote Appalachian Spring for an ensemble of just 13, mostly woodwinds, strings, piano, and one flute.  The recording is done by the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra in the studio of Sound 80 using one of the earliest digital recorders- a prototype created by 3M. 

It has an intimacy that lets you savor each closely miked note.  The recording is incredibly clear and detail, capturing each vibrato and decay- reminding me of some of the best of the direct to disc recordings.  Look for this and buy it.  :thumb:

Randy

Re: Sound 80 version of Appalachian Spring
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:13 am »
Not positive, but I believe an ensemble made a recording of this version for Reference Recordings, long time ago, but it did come out on CD - I think.

Yes, here it is from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Clark-cnd-Pacific-SO/dp/B00000157C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269152129&sr=1-1

blackzarg

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:48 pm »
The Keeping Score Series by Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony has a full performance of the chamber version of Appalachian Spring. A very good documentary, and performance as well!

The original version is also written for a ballet, and the typical orchestral version ommits a ~8 minute fugue after the famous "Simple Gifts" part.

blackzarg

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:52 pm »
Not positive, but I believe an ensemble made a recording of this version for Reference Recordings, long time ago, but it did come out on CD - I think.

Yes, here it is from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Clark-cnd-Pacific-SO/dp/B00000157C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269152129&sr=1-1

That one is the Appalachian Spring suite, not the original version. The original runs for about 35 minutes.

Daverz

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:41 am »
I have this on Lp.  It really is beautiful sounding, particularly all the string overtones that are reproduced.  Too bad 50kHz didn't become the standard CD sampling rate.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:34 pm »
I have this on Lp.  It really is beautiful sounding, particularly all the string overtones that are reproduced.  Too bad 50kHz didn't become the standard CD sampling rate.

Aha! someone else can confirm.  This is a very nicely recorded and performed Lp.  Snag it if you see it.