Wild Burro Audio Labs-Betsy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Wild Burro Audio Labs-Betsy
« on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:05 am »
Who has built these?  I'm very interested in a simple diy project...how do they sound?

Lets hear it!  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Wild Burro Audio Labs-Betsy
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:21 pm »
nobody?

:scratch:

rjbond3rd

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:43 pm »
I built the Betsy three-panel hinged OB's and have really loved them.  The bass is tuneful and ear-pleasing, the midrange and treble are awesome, and the only possible issue is that the bass does not have great weight or thump.  But that's a natural limitation of single-driver OB's.

A woofer is definitely a huge step up if you like your bass to have weight.  I'm now fixing up some LaScala bass bins to supplement a driver on OB.  Check out OB woofers here:http://www.quarter-wave.com/Projects.html

Betsy's on a big hinged panel are a great introduction to the sonic bliss of OB.  I have no regrets having started that way because they "just worked."  Other drivers, by comparison, seemed to need a lot of EQ to bring the top down (e.g., Visaton B200's).  An 8" on OB does not have slam or thump, but you do get a beautiful midrange and that effortless dipole boxless sound.  You can always add woofers (or a sub) later to round out the frequency response.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:47 pm »
I built the Betsy three-panel hinged OB's and have really loved them.  The bass is tuneful and ear-pleasing, the midrange and treble are awesome, and the only possible issue is that the bass does not have great weight or thump.  But that's a natural limitation of single-driver OB's.

A woofer is definitely a huge step up if you like your bass to have weight.  I'm now fixing up some LaScala bass bins to supplement a driver on OB.  Check out OB woofers here:http://www.quarter-wave.com/Projects.html

Betsy's on a big hinged panel are a great introduction to the sonic bliss of OB.  I have no regrets having started that way because they "just worked."  Other drivers, by comparison, seemed to need a lot of EQ to bring the top down (e.g., Visaton B200's).  An 8" on OB does not have slam or thump, but you do get a beautiful midrange and that effortless dipole boxless sound.  You can always add woofers (or a sub) later to round out the frequency response.

That's what I was planning on starting with...I have two servo subs that I can use with them.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:47 pm »
I've also built the folding wing Betsy and a picture of mine is posted on the WBL forum. The Betsy will get you hooked on OB and is a piece of cake to build. HD made all the cuts free of charge when I bought my plywood there.

I liked the Betsy so much in OB I also sprung for a pair of the Tang Band W8-1808. Tried them in the same folding wings and they sound very impressive but with more bass. As far as bang for buck though the Betsy is hard to beat. I use a fast little sub with the Betsy but don't feel a need for it yet with the TB's. The TB's like the Betsy don't need EQ.

I may try the boomer option but it loses out in the WAF vs the folding wings.