Moscode 402AU

Bigfish

Moscode 402AU
« on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:00 pm »
Guys:

I am writing to ask if any of you have experience with the Moscode 402AU Amp?  I recently purchased the Usher Dancer Mini II's which are 4 ohm, 90 db efficient a much easier on the power requirements that my former 85 db speakers.  The reason I am writing is I am considering the amp and have read all the reviews but would like to hear the pluses and minuses from owners.

Thanks,

Ken

TONEPUB

Re: Moscode 402AU
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:02 pm »
I've had mine for about a year now.  Bought the review sample and it's been a great amp.  There hasn't been a pair of speakers I couldn't drive with it, including my magnepan 1.6's or Martin Logans.

Just slightly on the romantic side but a lot of drive, so it really does combine the benefits of solid state output with a touch of tube warmth.  Very musical and no problems after a year of use.

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm »
I've had mine for about a year now.  Bought the review sample and it's been a great amp.  There hasn't been a pair of speakers I couldn't drive with it, including my magnepan 1.6's or Martin Logans.

Just slightly on the romantic side but a lot of drive, so it really does combine the benefits of solid state output with a touch of tube warmth.  Very musical and no problems after a year of use.

Jeff:

Thank you for the response.  I read your excellent review of the amp.  It speaks volumes you continue to live with the amp after a year given the amount of equipment you are exposed to in the reviewing process.

A local audio dealer is allowing me to audition the Moscode 402AU for a few days.  It is extremely impressive sounding and I was/am just looking for some confirmation of my impressions before taking the plunge.

Thanks Again,

Ken

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:36 pm »
  Ken a great amp but tbe changes are required t make it really sing. Before you make the plunge listen to a Mc Intosh, then decide. my 2 cents.

charles

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:54 pm »
A local audio dealer is allowing me to audition the Moscode 402AU for a few days.  It is extremely impressive sounding and I was/am just looking for some confirmation of my impressions before taking the plunge.

Thanks Again,

Ken

If you already tried and liked it, go for it.  BTW, borrow a few tube alternatives from your dealer to try, at least in the first tube position.  6H30Pi may be a "Super Tube," but a decent NOS 6922 tube is preferred by many in Moscodes, including myself :)

Rob S.

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:59 pm »
Ken-  Full Speed Ahead!!   Go for it, nice pricing always tips it in your favor.  Nice talking to you on the phone today.

Rob

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:26 pm »
Actually, my fav. combination was putting a pair of NOS 6H30's in the Moscode...

I used to run them in my CJ ACT2 with excellent luck and also have a pair in my ARC SP-17.  The NOS 6H30's are a little spendy, but in every situation I've tried them, they retain the punch that tube is known for, but reduces the grain and takes away the ever so slight edge that the standard issue EH 6H30 has.

The really cool thing about the Moscode is that it is probably the easiest power amp to tube roll and you can get a wide range of sound, depending on the tubes you select.  This makes it really easy to dial it right in to your room, speakers and the tonal balance you prefer.

Definitely one of my favorite power amps of all time...  Awesome performance, easy to customize and reasonably priced.  And the guys at Moscode are very nice as well.  Designer George Kaye is always fun to chat with....

Hope it works out to your liking...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:39 pm »
A friend who owned it told me that this amp should not be used with speakers having impedances that drop below 4 ohms to avoid problems with it.