Component designers

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Component designers
« on: 15 Mar 2010, 01:08 pm »
 IF we could describe the type of person we would like to see building and designing the gear we use what would need to be for YOU ?
  For me first an open minded engineer who plays an instrument and has a life other than audio. A regular guy. Uses live music as their reference. Second must have a passion and love for their work. Third measures and listens to their work. Tells the truth and does not force their opinions. Does not come out with a Mk2 version soon after the Mk1. Last prices their work fairly.
   Your take ?

charles

turkey

Re: Component designers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:09 pm »
IF we could describe the type of person we would like to see building and designing the gear we use what would need to be for YOU ?
  For me first an open minded engineer who plays an instrument and has a life other than audio. A regular guy. Uses live music as their reference. Second must have a passion and love for their work. Third measures and listens to their work. Tells the truth and does not force their opinions. Does not come out with a Mk2 version soon after the Mk1. Last prices their work fairly.
   Your take ?

charles

They should be good engineers. That's the most important thing. I don't really care what their personality or private life is like.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:12 pm »
They should look, smell and think like Steve McCormack. Probably one of the best and most open minded designers out there. Thinking practically, with excellent circuit ideas both electrically and in layout, and still able to understand the importance of individual component selection by performance and sound and not just price point.

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:20 pm »
They should look, smell and think like Steve McCormack. Probably one of the best and most open minded designers out there. Thinking practically, with excellent circuit ideas both electrically and in layout, and still able to understand the importance of individual component selection by performance and sound and not just price point.

So how is he as an EE? Where did he get his degree?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:21 pm »
And what does he smell like?

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:26 pm »
They should be good engineers. That's the most important thing. I don't really care what their personality or private life is like.

^This.  Also, many years of proven experience in the field of audio.  A team of acousticians, builders and engineers would be ideal for me.

gerald porzio

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:26 pm »
A Panglossian view of what should constitute a designer will accomplish nothing. Audiophiles need to vote w/ their wallets. This is akin to bitching about compression & buying the product regardless. As a result there is no impetus for the producer or mfg. to change. More than 1/2 the posts on all audio forums merely constitute voices crying in the wilderness.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:24 pm »
 I believe as in life a well rounded person suits me. Not just a book and measurement nerd. A dreamer with an open mind versed in thier trade.
 One who appreciates the finer things in life. Eccentric too as in Harvey Rosenberg and Tim Di Pavarinci. Or ultra serious like Dave Wilson or the guy from Magico. Thinking out of the box. One that answers the phone himself.
  Now none of these qualities are worth a shit if they do not know circuitry and parts. Saying that I want all these qualities.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:32 pm »
A Panglossian view of what should constitute a designer will accomplish nothing. Audiophiles need to vote w/ their wallets. This is akin to bitching about compression & buying the product regardless. As a result there is no impetus for the producer or mfg. to change. More than 1/2 the posts on all audio forums merely constitute voices crying in the wilderness.

It does for me. When I pluck down my green it is because I like the gear as well as the designer and company. No ones crying or bitching here but you.  :duh:
 Just thought it would be fun describing our dream designer. Lets keep it that way, OK.

charles

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:45 pm »
One who appreciates the finer things in life. Eccentric too as in Harvey Rosenberg and Tim Di Pavarinci. Or ultra serious like Dave Wilson or the guy from Magico. Thinking out of the box. One that answers the phone himself.

It just goes to show you how people differ. I wouldn't buy any product that these 4 had anything to do with. :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »
It just goes to show you how people differ. I wouldn't buy any product that these 4 had anything to do with. :)

Why ? pricing ? Gear ? curious as to your reason. Have you heard the Magico speakers ? or any of the other pieces in your system ?

charles

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »
Left-handed, vegetarian and at least half Catholic. A woman would be O.K. but I prefer a designer who is at least 6'4" and few women would qualify there. Maybe this is why I never buy anything.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:54 pm »
Left-handed, vegetarian and at least half Catholic. A woman would be O.K. but I prefer a designer who is at least 6'4" and few women would qualify there. Maybe this is why I never buy anything.

Ok.  Now I'm really confused about you moniker.   :lol:

turkey

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2010, 08:19 pm »
  Why ? pricing ? Gear ? curious as to your reason. Have you heard the Magico speakers ? or any of the other pieces in your system ?

charles

I don't like their gear. I've heard a selection of it at various times and thought it wasn't very good, and certainly wasn't a good value.

In addition, I met Harvey once and felt he was a con man, pure and simple.

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2010, 08:26 pm »
They should have there own private hippity-hop to get around the office. And be accessible and not elitist. Try owning a hippity-hop and being elitist. Its dang tough to do!
:)
M

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2010, 08:48 pm »
They should have there own private hippity-hop to get around the office

Hippity-hop? Is this that big ball thingy with the handle on it that every kid the age of 6-10 had?

evan1

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:26 pm »
Hippity-hop? Is this that big ball thingy with the handle on it that every kid the age of 6-10 had?

You know you had one also.

Pez

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:34 pm »
I think the whole must be an EE thing is bogus. Not saying at all that being an electrical engineer is not a HUGE plus in the manufacturer realm because it is. I am questioning whether it is wise to require it when so many excellent manufacturers are not. They may consult with EEs or have a few on staff, but to say that it is absolute or no deal is a little short sighted. My brother is an EE and I wouldn't trust him to make me up a pair of cables.  :nono:

K Shep

« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:45 pm »
For me, having met the Principal of a company or someone involved in the building of a piece of gear brings me closer to that company and their (my) products.  That is one of the unique aspects of this website...we are able to converse with the guys making a living building our gear.

gerald porzio

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:06 pm »
Many products are designed by freelance hired guns (EEs).