Going through withdrawals

Tony1

Going through withdrawals
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:40 pm »
Sent my SP1.7 for repairs.  Trying to cope.  Need to hang in there. Listening to itunes on my computer is not cutting it. Need support group, lol.

Napalm

Re: Going through withdrawals
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:59 pm »
Hi Tony,

I'm Napalm and I'm an audioholic.

My 4B SSt2 will be shipped around March 26 and until then you'll have to put up with my ramblings here.

Nap.

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:13 pm »
Yes maybe that's what we need a new support group.lol My 7's are in boxes staring at me for months now.
This may be a great way to cope. :green: :thumb: :eyebrows:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2010, 11:34 pm »
Yes maybe that's what we need a new support group.lol My 7's are in boxes staring at me for months now.
This may be a great way to cope. :green: :thumb: :eyebrows:

Oldguy,

what will be your next amp? smaller or bigger than the 7B?
sorry, if you already mentioned it here...
al.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2010, 12:17 am »
I feel your pain, Tony.  My B60 went to Canada on Wednesday.  Here's to a quick and safe return :wine:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 12:38 am »
Hang in there.  I could not hack it.  That's why I have 3 systems, main, bedroom and basement.  If something is apart in one, at least I have another decent system.  No, it is not the main system, but it helps.

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2010, 01:02 am »
Oldguy,

what will be your next amp? smaller or bigger than the 7B?
sorry, if you already mentioned it here...
al.

HI

I certainly won't be selling and buying more amps.I may sell them if I were to get a reasonable offer though.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:17 am »
My B60 is getting some warranty work done, and while there will also get some extras - its being updated to SST.  I know it'll be worth the wait, but that doesn't make it easier right now.

James -

I have to compliment your company and Mike Pickett in particular.  Your guys (and ladies) run a world class organization.  Mike's a great guy who knows how to talk to people.  Most engineers I know have trouble speaking to non-engineers about technical stuff.  Not him.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2010, 04:35 am »
My B60 is getting some warranty work done, and while there will also get some extras - its being updated to SST.  I know it'll be worth the wait, but that doesn't make it easier right now.

James -

I have to compliment your company and Mike Pickett in particular.  Your guys (and ladies) run a world class organization.  Mike's a great guy who knows how to talk to people.  Most engineers I know have trouble speaking to non-engineers about technical stuff.  Not him.

Thank you I will pass that on to Mike.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:15 pm »
Thank you I will pass that on to Mike.

james

Dittos on Mike Pickett, James.  He is helping me out greatly in the selection of a phono cartridge that will work well with the BP26 phono stages.  I may soon be joining this support group since my 26 is currently a P and I'm contemplating sending it to Bryston to have the MC conversion done.  Will have to return my Adcom GFP 565 to the chain during the absence.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:39 pm »
I feel all of your pain, I had to go approximately 4 weeks with out my X-05 when it had to go into the shop for maintenance :cry:

Be well...

VOLKS

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:46 pm »
I feel all of your pain, I had to go approximately 4 weeks with out my X-05 when it had to go into the shop for maintenance :cry:

Be well...

Landrew....just curious........what happened to your X-05 that it needed service?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm »

Landrew....just curious........what happened to your X-05 that it needed service?

Hello VOLKS,

The X-05 has a clamping platter to stabilize the CD while it is playing - mine broke off around the 300 hour mark during playback,  what a horrible noise that was. I think that it may have been defective from the factory as it did make a little bit of noise during spin-up or spin-down. The new unit is much quieter than the old unit and is performing flawlessly - knock on wood :eyebrows:

Be well…

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:48 pm »
Dittos on Mike Pickett, James.  He is helping me out greatly in the selection of a phono cartridge that will work well with the BP26 phono stages.  I may soon be joining this support group since my 26 is currently a P and I'm contemplating sending it to Bryston to have the MC conversion done.  Will have to return my Adcom GFP 565 to the chain during the absence.

what cartridge Mike recommended? very interesting as i am still looking for a (MC) cartridge.

thanx,
al.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:25 pm »
I have a Dynavector 10x5, which is a high output MC (HOMC). Running it through my B60's MM stage sounds great to my ears. I'd immagine it would be different if it was a regular MC. If you don't want to make phono stage changes but want to try MC, HOMC may be the way to go depending on the cartridge.

95Dyna

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:11 pm »
I have a Dynavector 10x5, which is a high output MC (HOMC). Running it through my B60's MM stage sounds great to my ears. I'd immagine it would be different if it was a regular MC. If you don't want to make phono stage changes but want to try MC, HOMC may be the way to go depending on the cartridge.

Good point Stu just remember that the Bryston MM stage was designed around a 5.0 mV output so any output less than that will require proportionately higher volume settings to reach the same as a 5.0.  Put another way a cartridge with a 5.0 mV output will provide normal line level input that you have with your CD player or DAC.  Using the 41 db gain setting is not recommended due to the additional noise it introduces.  With a sub 5.0 mV cartridge you are better off keeping the gain at the factory set 35 db and turning the volume up higher and/or using the 1V gain setting on your Bryston amp(s) if available. 

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:59 pm »

95Dyna

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:46 pm »

That would be tomorrow.

Nap.  :drool:

Napalm

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:47 pm »