sa-xr45 ??

hows-ur-momma

sa-xr45 ??
« on: 1 Feb 2004, 06:20 am »
Yesterday I was searching for a sa-xr45 and found this site.  I was really interested in buying one then and now I bet you can imagine exactly how interested I am now....:wink:

I'm mainly going to use this receiver for HT, but I will also use it a little for music.

I couldnt find the price for these mods so my question is this...
Wayne, is there any way that can make a list for me like this....
_______________________________________ __________________

Mod---------Parts used, #, and where bought---------Total effect on sound
_______________________________________ ____________________

I would like to do most of the mods myself.  I'm not trying to keep you from making your money on this, but you could also make an installation "manual" with detailed install info and pics that you could sell to DIY'ers(just an idea) for $100-150.

thanks

dwk

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2004, 01:27 am »
You can't be serious.

"Hi Wayne. I know you've spent a long time listening and experimenting and evaluating various mods and doing all the important work, but can you please give away all your secrets for free AND spend a bunch of extra time putting together a manual to tell me exactly how to do everything so I don't  have to give you any money? Please?"

Dude, IMHO Wayne's already shared more than enough info on his mods for anyone with talent/experience to 'go it alone', and that's more than fair given that he has to cover his costs and his time.

I know that $700 or whatever it will be for the mods can seem a bit steep, but really - between here and diyaudio you shouldn't have much trouble figuring out the important elemnts to look at, and the time you'll spend experimenting is the price you pay for doing it yourself rather than paying Wayne to do it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2004, 01:47 am »
dwk, if you reread his post his didn't ask to get it for free- he did suggest a charge of $100-$150.  Of course there'd be no guarentee that someone wouldn't use that info to mod units for profit, but then you could buy one and pop the top and do the same.

I can't speculate whether or not Wayne would go for this, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea.  Once you factor in all the parts and labor Wayne has wrapped up in the mods you may not be able to do it a lot cheaper yourself, but it would be easy money to sell the plans.

Such a concept isn't without precedent in audio.

dwk

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2004, 02:29 am »
AAAAHHHHH. Mea culpa.  I did in fact miss the $100-150 proposal.  Profuse apologies for misunderstanding the intent.

It's an interesting idea, along the lines of what Sigfreid L did with some of the Orion design material.   If Wayne put together parts packages to go with it, it might be an attractive adjunct to his mod business, given that he is likely to be time-constrained during the time the mods are 'hot'.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2004, 03:54 am »
Yeah, I get the impression Boulder is mostly just him, so I'm not sure how many mod's he can crank out, especially given that his cables are a hot commodity, too.

Possibly he could even sell the parts & instructions together to those with the electronics know-how to DIY.

JoshK

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2004, 03:57 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Yeah, I get the impression Boulder is mostly just him, so I'm not sure how many mod's he can crank out, especially given that his cables are a hot commodity, too.

Possibly he could even sell the parts & instructions together to those with the electronics know-how to DIY.

I'd be first in line but unfortunately I don't he really wants to sell his intellectual property.  I understand why.

Wayne1

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2004, 06:45 pm »
The BOLDER Cable Company is Wayne Waananen and Wayne Waananen is The BOLDER Cable Company :D

There is a bit of what Josh says and what dwk says about my thoughts on offering DIY stuff. I started out trying to support the DIY community with bulk cable sales. It ended up really being a PITA to deal with. Way too many hours spent with very little monetary return.

I do not have the time to spend writing down a "mod manual" for the Panny. I am also somewhat hesitant to offer any more advice than I have on what to change. There is a very good chance on doing some severe damage with the mods.

I have foolishly offered to look at some ART DI/Os that people have tried to mod themselves. It ended up taking about 3 times the amount of time for me to fix their work and mod it to my specs than if I started from a fresh unit.

I have spent quite a bit of time working out what I like in the mods to the Panny. Some people may not follow recomendations as to what parts to use. This would change the sound of the unit. Then they would say that a BOLDER modded Panny sounds terrible.

I hope I am backed up on Panny mods. That is one of the good problems for a business, having too much work. :)

There is a lot of information out there about mods in general and the Panny in specific. If you search just this Circle you can see a fair amount of what I am doing for mods. I have not posted everything I have done, nor will I pass on all the information.

I do not want to get into selling parts. There are already quite a few vendors of parts out there. I would have to mark up the parts to make a profit and then the die-hard DIYers would say that I was just ripping people off and you can buy X from Y quite a bit cheaper.

I am also fairly sure that others will get into the Panny modding business. There may be some that will be doing less extensive mods for less money. They will not sound the same and should not be confused with what I will offer.

JoshK

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2004, 08:02 pm »
I, for one, totally understand where Wayne is coming from and find no fault in this.  I would do the same.

hows-ur-momma

sa-xr45 ??
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2004, 08:49 pm »
I guess I understand.  Was worth a try though.....

Is it going to be $700?

I read alot of stuff and am not sure exactly what the mods are for...are they going to be generally for HT, bi-amping or do they just improve the overall sound and performance of the receiver?

are there more than 1 level of mods?

Are there going to be 6 pairs of binding posts for each channel?

What other info can you disclose to the public that will give us a better idea of what your offering?

thanks