When was the Bryston BP6 introduced?

jaxwired

When was the Bryston BP6 introduced?
« on: 12 Mar 2010, 12:59 pm »
I have a Bryston BP6 preamplifier that I purchased from an authorized dealer, but it was a floor demo unit.  It has a very early serial number, 0000096.  I was wondering how old this thing actually is?  How long was it on demo I'm wondering?

servingko

Re: When was the Bryston BP6 introduced?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:21 pm »
It should have a 4 digit date code on the rear panel with the first two digits being year and the second two the week of manufacture.

werd

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:43 pm »
Hello

Date stamping i think is relatively new, i don't have a 4 digit date on my bp25.

Alphonse

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:02 pm »
Check the upper left corner of the back panel. That's where my BP6 has a sticker with date and serial number.   

Al

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2010, 05:54 pm »
My B60 has a date stamp and it was built in '99.  There's a lot older gear than mine with some sort of date stamp.

As far as I know, the code was changed a while back.  They had a different system than the current one which is year and week - ie 9932 - year 99, week 32.

Every one I've seen has been right next to the serial number.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2010, 07:44 pm »
I have a Bryston BP6 preamplifier that I purchased from an authorized dealer, but it was a floor demo unit.  It has a very early serial number, 0000096.  I was wondering how old this thing actually is?  How long was it on demo I'm wondering?

Serial number 0000096 was manufactured on Nov 21 2006

james

jaxwired

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:44 am »
Thanks James, yeah, it has the date code.  I read it a few days ago.  I was a little disappointed to find out it was a "demo" for so long, but, since it's a Bryston, 3 years on it is nothing.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:58 am »
Not to steer you off topic, Jaxwired, but how is the Benchmark/Bryston pairing working for you?  Its a DAC I'm interested in.

jaxwired

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:16 pm »
Hi Stu,

I love the Benchmark.  I was only considering the BP6 internal DAC as a possiblity because I may be sending my unit in to have the face plate swapped.  But I've since decided against the internal DAC on the BP6. 

I highly recommend the Benchmark.  Also, as I'm sure you know, they have a 30 day money back policy if you don't like it.  If you buy a used one, you can always resell it for about what you paid.  Either way, not much to lose in trying one out.

I purchased mine new about 6 months ago and I never thought twice about returning it after I listened to it...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2010, 09:28 pm »
Can you bypass the volume control on the Benchmark?

jaxwired

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2010, 10:45 pm »
Yes, it has both variable (vol controlled) and fixed output settings. 

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2010, 12:46 am »
Ok, cool. Any reason why you chose the DAC1 over the BDA1?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:00 am »
Thanks for the info, Jaxwired.  I'm aware of the return policy, but I'd rather hear one in a store before ordering.  I'm not a fan of buying unheard and having to deal with the return hassles.  I should be more open to it, but I can't get around it.

As for buying used, there have been some changes over the years.  The new ones reportedly don't sound as harsh and grainy as the older ones.  They reportedly sound a bit smoother, which makes it more appealing to me. 

I'm not sure when the changes were made.

I want to hear the Simaudio 300d, Arcam's DAC that's due this summer, and Rega's reportedly got one that may come out late summer/early fall.  If Regas DAC comes out soon and it sounds at least as good as my Apollo, that'll be the one to beat IMO.  I'd love a BCD-1, but my finances won't swing it anytime soon.

jaxwired

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:08 am »
As for buying used, there have been some changes over the years.  The new ones reportedly don't sound as harsh and grainy as the older ones.  They reportedly sound a bit smoother, which makes it more appealing to me. 

I'm not sure when the changes were made.

Exactly why I bought a new one and not a used one...

jaxwired

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:13 am »
Ok, cool. Any reason why you chose the DAC1 over the BDA1?

Well, at the time I didn't own the Bryston gear.  I had just read a DAC group test in Hi Fi World (I think it was HFW) that said the Benchmark was miles ahead of the pack.  Then I researched on the internet and rarely have I ever found a product so universally praised.  On top of all that, it was cheaper than most "high end" DACs.  And the final kicker, was the 30 day return policy.  So the BDA1 wasn't really even in the running at the time.  If I was doing it right now, I'd consider the Bryston just for brand consistency.  But I really do think the Benchmark is great.  Of course that's my amateur opinion.  I'm far from an expert on DACs.  Hard to get a lot of ear time with different DACs...

vegasdave

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2010, 03:08 am »
Well, at the time I didn't own the Bryston gear.  I had just read a DAC group test in Hi Fi World (I think it was HFW) that said the Benchmark was miles ahead of the pack.  Then I researched on the internet and rarely have I ever found a product so universally praised.  On top of all that, it was cheaper than most "high end" DACs.  And the final kicker, was the 30 day return policy.  So the BDA1 wasn't really even in the running at the time.  If I was doing it right now, I'd consider the Bryston just for brand consistency.  But I really do think the Benchmark is great.  Of course that's my amateur opinion.  I'm far from an expert on DACs.  Hard to get a lot of ear time with different DACs...

I see. Well, as long as you're happy. I haven't heard the Benchmark, so I can't comment. I have heard the BDA1, and if I could afford it, I would have that unit. It is excellent in every which way.