12AT7 Input Tube Recommendation

eichlerera1

« on: 31 Jan 2004, 07:31 pm »
Following a recommendation from an Audiogon thread, I acquired some Brimar 12AT7 input tubes for my EL34 based VTL 225 monoblocks. I had previously used both EI and JJ Tesla 12AT7's. The EI's were a bit too soft with good bass while the JJ's were detailed but too bright with a lean bass presentation.

I plopped the Brimars in and voila, they seemed to combine the best qualities of the EI's and JJ's. Beautiful balance throughout the frequency range with tight punchy bass and detailed yet fluid mids and highs. I have not tried the high grade Telefunken, Mullard or Bugleboy 12AT7's, but I suspect they would be hard pressed to top the Brimars. There seems to be a synergy with VTL amps and the Brimar. At any rate, you might want to give them a try as they won't break your bank.
                                                                          Paul G

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2004, 08:10 pm »
Siemens 12AT7's are the best I've heard in my AVA gear, besting the Mullards and the Brimars that I also have.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2004, 11:40 pm »
You may also want to try the Sylvania gold brand 6201. One of the best ever made. Hard to find but worth the effort also is the Raytheon or CBS 7728. Of course YMMV.