Problems Setting Up HiFace

Audioclyde

Problems Setting Up HiFace
« on: 10 Mar 2010, 03:05 pm »
OK; I'm not completely computer illiterate, but will admit I haven't used/set up Apples audio midi before.

I received my new HiFace; installed what I believed to be the latest drivers for Mac off of the M2Tech website on my Mac mini.  Plugged in the Hiface (its connected to the bnc digi input of my DAC--MW Transporter).

The HiFace now shows up in the audio midi setup; I can choose among the sampling rates (my library is 96kHz, so that's what I chose); however, 32 bit shows up in that section, and it won't let me change (my DAC is of course limited to 24 bit).

When I start Amarra/Itunes, I get no music from the DAC's outputs, but the Mac mini's internal speakers are playing.....

I'm at work, away from my Mac and audio setup today, so can't immediately try any tips.  I realize that I did NOT go into "Sound" in System Preferences and choose the HiFace as the output (this after looking at Gordin Rankin's Mac setup tips for his USB dacs); I note that with the latest operating system, all of the screens are not the same as in Gordon's example, so I'm not sure if this option shows up on my computer (I'm running Snow Leopard).

Any pointers (hopefully something simple that my lack of understanding just made me miss) on how to get this to work will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Crimson

Re: Problems Setting Up HiFace
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
Yes, you need to go to your Sound Preferences and select it as your output. Make sure iTunes and Amarra are closed before you do this.

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:00 pm »
Some have complained about a "popping" or "clicking" problem with their hiFaces (it happened to me, too).  I cured my problem by doing a fresh restart of OS X after setting up all the preferences (both sound and MIDI) before playing any music.  IIRC, some background running programs such as Parallels intermittently access the USB buss, which causes the extraneous noise.  A restart stops that and ends the pop/click problem.  Of course, YMMV.  Good luck.  Cordially,

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2010, 07:05 pm »
Thanks guys; I figured (and hope) it was something stupid like failing to make the selection in the Sound menu; I only had a few minutes this morning before leaving for work to give it a try though, so didn't do to good a job of scoping things out!

Audioclyde

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:46 am »
Sure enough, all I needed to do was select the HiFace in the output section of sound system preferences...duh :oops:; the HiFace is working great with no clicks or pops.

Thanks again.