WTB Marantz 6300 or 6350 turntable

Minn Mark

WTB Marantz 6300 or 6350 turntable
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:55 pm »
Am looking for a vinatge Marantz TT, 6300 or 6350 in excellent or better condition. WIll consider lesser condition or a 6100 if the price is right.

Thanks for your help.
 :D
Mark

Wayner

Re: WTB Marantz 6300 or 6350 turntable
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:47 pm »
Just a heads up, the 6100 is a belt drive, if I recall correctly. The 6200 was a DD TT, but was semi-automatic.

Wayner  :D

Minn Mark

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:00 pm »
Thanks Wayner,

I was aware of this.  I was able to get a Marantz 2250B (blackface) from eBay recently (waiting for arrival) and kind of got the vintage 'bug'. I have my 1979 Technics SL-D2 which I have cleaned up and plan to install my 'old- 1990?' AVA Longhorn on to use with the receiver, but the old Marantz TTs look pretty cool with the wood (although its vinyl on the 6100's). I will listen to the LOnghorn for awhile, but will probably spring for one of your new ones eventually.

I found a site

http://www.vintageturntablerestoration.com/

that restores Marantz TT's and am watching a couple 6100s on eBay--they seem to be more plentiful and a bit less expensive---stuff is crazy expensive lately--must be all us 'boomers' wanting to scarf the old stuff up before its too late...

Thanks for the response. Are the new AVA/Wayner Longhorns selling well??

If you ever plan to get down near Rochester, MN  I'd be happy to meet you. Let me know.

Cheers,

Mark

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:23 pm »
Longhorns are selling well, and I always try to have stock on had (be it small) to ship ASAP. Great you got the receiver that you were looking for. If you have any lamps out, they sell the actual 200ma. on eBay too.

I have looked at a 6300 a couple of times, but the bids went way to far out, could have bought a brand new Technics SL-1200 for a little more. If you buy a belt drive, get a couple of belts right away. I'd suggest www.lpgear.com as their belts seem to fit better and are of better quality. If you need a manual for the table, go to the www.vinylengine.com and download the one you want (you will have to become a member to do that). But that table is very simple.

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:28 pm »
Good to hear re: the Longhorns.

I have found vinylengine and hifiengine; great sources for the manuals, etc.

I wonder if there's interest in forming a consortium to purchase and share equipment--so we woldnt be potentially bidding against each other? In fact, I suppose in larger cities this may be the case. Out here in Rochester, there's not anything to speak of in regards to a 'hifi' community (at least that I'm aware of).  I think there are groups around the Twin Cities, but I dont get up there with any regularity.

Nice talking to you.

Mark

Otis

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
Hi Mark, I've got a beautiful 6300 that I've considered putting on the market. There's literally only one small nick in the wood, otherwise it's cherry, excepting the usual scratches in the lid.

Wayner's right though, I can't honestly recommend you get a Marantz unless the price is a giveaway -- the Technics 1200 is a better table for similar money. Marantzs are prettier to look at though, Ill grant you that. No one's ever given the 6300 anything other than appreciative stares in the style department, me included.  They have a visual elegance that's hard to top. 8)

Oh and FWIW, I've never heard any hum while using a Grado with the 6300. All bets are off with the 6200s and below, since they have AC motors.

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 01:26 am by Otis »

Otis

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:35 am »
Just a heads up, the 6100 is a belt drive, if I recall correctly. The 6200 was a DD TT, but was semi-automatic.

A little correction of Wayner's thoughts...the 6200 was a belt drive full-auto. The 6300s-and-up were the only DDs in that era. And even they weren't modern quartz-locked DDs but instead were servo drive. The platter literally sat on top of a self-contained DC motor instead of being *part* of the motor like later Technics 1200s etc.
I believe it was these older sit-on-top-of-the-motor models that F. Van Alstine had in mind when he called them "shaker tables" in an early issue of Audio Basics. Indeed the specs somewhat bear that out. The rumble figure for the 6300 is -60db, compared to -78db for the T1200s.

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:37 pm »
Otis,
Thanks so much for the replies, and the education! I think I'll use my SL-D2 for awhile and as you indicate, style points aside, my $$ may be better spent on a new Longhorn. If I really become a 'wood junkie" I guess I can always upgrade the SOTA Comet that's in my 'man cave' system.....

Thanks again for the posts, guys.

Mark

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:13 pm »
Minn Mark:
 Thanks for the tip on Vintage turntable restoration. I contacted him and he will do upgrades to my Garrard DD-75 table. He has done a few of them and his customers have been very pleased with the results. I'll ship it to him today. I did a post here on the circle asking for any info. to upgrade it. No responses.

Thanks and Cheers
                                         Charlie