advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII

loh wai meng

Re: advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2010, 02:55 pm »
been living with the VR4 for a month already.  Bass too strong without damping.  However, with damping i do get a sense that the timing is not quite right.  Anyone has experienced it and any advice to cure it?

I'm sitting with my ears at the mid range level... should i get a higher chair?

kingdeezie

« Reply #41 on: 5 May 2010, 05:41 pm »
I don't particularly have any experiance with the VS speakers you speak of; but I did have major bass problems with the speakers I have now interacting with my room.

I am not sure what you mean by damping. I am assuming you mean damping the room? Or did you stick something in the ports on the speaker?

If it is room damping, I would look into perhaps changing where you currently have your panels placed. I have added a significant amount of acoustic panels and bass panels to my room, and have never noticed any "timing" issue.

I have however been able to tame massive peaks in bass response, and control reflection issues.

Also take a look at where you have your speakers placed in conjunction to walls and corners. Placement can augment problems in response.

These are just general rules of thumb to see if anything helps.

Congrats on the VSAs; love em.  :thumb:

loh wai meng

« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2010, 11:52 pm »
By damping, I meant stuffing dacron into the speaker. In the manual, stuffing Dacron in the speaker using Dacron was recommended to control excessive bass.  However, I found that the timing between the bass and the higher frequencies seemed to go slightly off as a result.

JackD201

« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2010, 01:50 pm »
Greetings Loh,

Could you post pictures? The VSA M/T modules are some of the fastest around. Too much stuffing really can slow down the bass a bit. Also VSA speakers are known to offer more bass extension than practically any of their competitors. SRs go down into the 20s more linearly than speakers costing twice the price like the B&W 800D and pretty much matches up with the Sasha spec for spec.

Maybe attenuation should be made outside of the loudspeakers. I really think it may be room/speaker interface related because my experience along with most other SR owners was exactly opposite. I lacked bass until the speakers reached close to 200 hours.

Jack