advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:47 pm »
Hi Loh Wai Meng,

Congratulations with your choice.

Hope you will enjoy the VSA's as much as we do.
You can easily change the towel for a bit of original dacron so you can use the towel in your bathroom again.
 :icon_lol:

Cor

stong

« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:07 pm »
Hi Loh Wai Meng,

Congratulations with your choice.

Hope you will enjoy the VSA's as much as we do.
You can easily change the towel for a bit of original dacron so you can use the towel in your bathroom again.

LOL Cor..... You are a natural even when comes to humor!!!!!
 :icon_lol:

Cor

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:12 pm »
Well thanks Stong,

Life is always a lot easier when you tell things with a smile :) and a wink :wink:

Enjoy.

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2010, 11:10 pm »
This method of tightening up the bass gives a whole new meaning to "tossing in the towel"  :lol:

loh wai meng

« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:45 am »
Ok got the Dacron. But I swear that long fibre egyptian cotton firms up the 28hz better than Dacron! :icon_lol:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:30 am »
Hi Loh,

Looks like the cotton nature of Egypt sounds good.
Once we tried the Dutch sheepwool, also this sounded better than Dacron.
It smells a bit different but you get used to it. 8)

Cor

loh wai meng

« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2010, 07:51 am »
Ok... the next question and one that has been discussed in other threads... cables.

Given the limited space of the Pass, I cant get two seperate spades into one channel, hence a limited choice of cables.  Am using on loan the MIT shotgun S3 biwire - nice sounding.

Have 2 options - MIT shotgun MA and Von's own reference cables.... am deciding between the 2.  Unfortunately, I cant audition them as both has to made to order.  Any help appreciated again.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:48 pm »
I have a pair of the standard VSA biwires, not the reference version and have compared them to the MA Shotguns in my system.  The VSA cables trumped them but that's with all McIntosh electronics.  It may be different in your system but the VSA cables are very good.

loh wai meng

« Reply #28 on: 7 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm »
Which shotgun? S3? Or ma?  Also, when you say trumph them, in which area were they better?

Thanks

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 7 Apr 2010, 06:37 pm »
These MIT speaker cables:

http://www.mitcables.com/available-in-stores/speaker-interfaces/shotgun-ma-bi-wire-speaker-cable.html

It's been some time ago that I compared them but I'd have to say the detail resolution and size of the the soundstage was better with the VSAs.  The night I was comparing them, my wife was sitting next to me reading a magazine.  When I switched from the MAs to the VSAs, she looked up and said "what did you just do?".  I told her and she said "that sounds much better".  That pretty much told me all I needed to know.  The MAs were sent back to the dealer shortly thereafter.

loh wai meng

« Reply #30 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:29 am »
Sorry to sound as if i'm grilling. Just want to be sure before I take another expensive plunge. Why not the signature as it is the same price as the shotgun ma.

stong

« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:14 am »
Ok got the Dacron. But I swear that long fibre egyptian cotton firms up the 28hz better than Dacron! :icon_lol:

Hi WM,
Just wondering whether you need the "rock-wool" material. These are yellowish material used for insulations or fire-rating. You can try it on the VR-4 SR3 port. But please note Jack's findings on the "T-ported" tube within the port.

If you need it,I can pass a felt to Bobby's place. It is free!

As for me, I don't need it. The SR3 sound's better with a free driveway port.

Cheer

loh wai meng

« Reply #32 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:59 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the offer... The dacron i have is fine.  Thanks.  BTW what cables are you using?

stong

« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2010, 05:20 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the offer... The dacron i have is fine.  Thanks.  BTW what cables are you using?

No problem. As for cables, previously using Goertz MI for speakers, now currently running bi-wire with industrial power-cord cables Flextreme Prysmain (you can search google).

My Krell Evo and SACD is using normal power-cord too,as recommended by Krell itself.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:07 am »
Hi Loh,

The cables we us are the VSA Masterbuilt and the Harmonic Technology.
Thogheter they fit very natuarly.

The powercord is the most important one!!
When there is not enough fine power there will be no music at all.

Good luck.

Cor

stong

« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:58 am »
Hi Cor,

Thanks for the feedback.

Kindly advise what is the different with Verbatim cables and VSA Masterbuilt?

I read somewhere Jack is using Verbatim which is also "flat-line" based.

And of course I agreed,power-cord also plays an important role. But well, I am just following Dan D'Agostino suggestion to use stock PC  for their Krell equipments.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2010, 01:58 pm »
Sorry to sound as if i'm grilling. Just want to be sure before I take another expensive plunge. Why not the signature as it is the same price as the shotgun ma.

The less expensive VSA biwire that I own ($2500 for a 10') bests the MA shotgun so the more expensive VSA biwire should be even better...no?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm »
I don't know if you have a dealer or distributor in your country, but try to find a way to hear some JPS Labs cables with your speakers.  The SuperConductor 3 is where the real magic starts to happen in the line-up.  But even the SuperQ and Super+ has a lot of the SC3 qualities for a fraction of the price.

When one of my customers got his VR-5 Anniversaries from me, he even had Albert wire them with JPS hookup wire.  Albert was going to offer it as an upgrade for folks as he really, really liked it.

I don't use anything but JPS Labs anymore.  It is the perfect cable for me and the kind of sound I'm looking for.

stong

« Reply #38 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:21 am »
I don't know if you have a dealer or distributor in your country, but try to find a way to hear some JPS Labs cables with your speakers.  The SuperConductor 3 is where the real magic starts to happen in the line-up.  But even the SuperQ and Super+ has a lot of the SC3 qualities for a fraction of the price.

When one of my customers got his VR-5 Anniversaries from me, he even had Albert wire them with JPS hookup wire.  Albert was going to offer it as an upgrade for folks as he really, really liked it.

I don't use anything but JPS Labs anymore.  It is the perfect cable for me and the kind of sound I'm looking for.

Hi,

I do have JPS Ultra Conductor Speaker cable hook up on my HTS and SACD Multi-Channel  system.

Yes I agreed,it is good ,cheap and fast cable.

Just wondering, as over here the VSA Multi-Built cables is not available  . Any review or writeup on it?

JackD201

« Reply #39 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:26 am »
Hi folks, my personal preference are for speaker cables with as little a sonic signature as possible..read: well balanced across the full spectrum both in terms of timbre and tone aka as devoid of any emphasis as possible. I play around with a gamut of ICs though depending on mood mainly between VSA Signatures, Kubala-Sosna Emotions, Townshend DCT-300s and Cardas Golden Reference.

After an extensive shoot out, I have retired my Verbatim Signatures and have gone with the VSA Master Built Signatures. These cables are almost dead ringers but the VSAs edged them out in terms of image focus and image solidity while matching them in all other areas to the point that I'd fail a double blind test even in my own system and my favorite tracks with the exception perhaps of percussion tracks where the VSAs help make kicks, snares and toms simply lifelike in size and dynamics. They work extremely well with my VR-9 and Lamm M2.2 combo and for me that means I never get to think about the cables anymore and just get swept up by whatever is playing.  :thumb:

SC cables that I've heard extensively that have more of their own character but are all the better for it depending on what you may want to add or subtract are Kubala-Sosna Emotions, Acrolink 6N-7000, the older generation MIT MA and Oracles the latter of which could buy you a pair of VR-5 Anniversaries  :o

What I'd like to try someday are the top offerings of Harmonic Technologies, JPS Labs, Jenna Labs and the Anniversary series of Purist Audio Designs. I hear and read good comments about these.