Squeeze Box Touch...

Sonny

Squeeze Box Touch...
« on: 8 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm »
So, can I use this to be the music player as a stand alone or will I still have to use it with my ibook?  I have music on a harddrive...would love to access it straight from the touch, is it possible?
Thanks
T

Wayne1

Re: Squeeze Box Touch...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:06 pm »
Sonny,

The current release for the Touch is sometime in April-May, maybe  :wink:

According to some of the beta testers, the Touch can be used as a stand alone unit with a USB drive plugged into it. It may be a bit slower in responding to command than if it was run from a server.

I do not believe you can use an iTouch or similar remote with just the Touch, as they have their commands relayed through a server. I could be wrong, as I do not have a Touch and the software is still being worked on.

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:11 pm »
Thanks for the information...I'll have to wait and watch...i guess.  been holding off on something to make this digital experience more convenient...

t

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:27 pm »
I don't remember exactly where I read it, the SqueezeBox forum sticks in my head,  but June was being discussed as the latest release date for the Logitech Touch.  There are apparently many issues as a result of the small server onboard and testing it for compatibility with whatever users decide to feed it.
I've also been trying to figure out if the Popbox from Popcorn Hour would be a substitute ethernet connected music player as well as adding all that internet video capability.  I think it only has a toslink out but depending on power upgradeability could be decent sound. Only $130.00 when released.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:53 pm »
Larry,

Logitech send out a mass mailing late last week with the April-May release date.

I guess we'll see.

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:26 pm »
Some questions for any of you beta-testers out there:

I need a new nightstand alarm clock.  I want a Logitech Touch.  Does the Touch include alarm clock features?  If so are they good / reliable?  Offer basic alarm clock features like "snooze" etc?

How is the headphone line out?  Does the Touch have a good amp, i.e. eliminate the need for a dedicated (lower cost) headphone amp?

GeorgeHudetz

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:43 am »
I've been lurking on the Slimdevices forum for some time now, while I wait for Logitech to start shipping the Touch.  My understanding is that you can use an iTouch or iPhone running iPeng to control a Touch, even one with a USB drive attached, as long as the Touch and the iTouch/iPhone are on the same wireless network.

What I am waiting to learn is if there will be a hack that allows a Touch to output via USB.  Connect it to a good async DAC and it could be pretty impressive.  Here's hoping, anyway.

firedog

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2010, 07:38 am »
But you can connect it to a DAC using SPDIF, so what's the big need for USB? You can use any DAC with SPDIF input, and I think most new USB DACs these days will accept SPDIF also.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:47 am »
I can only speak to the Squeezebox Duet receiver as I just got one, works great using ipeng, and the Wolfson DAC does an admirable job. Correct me if I'm wrong but the SB Touch doesn't have a DAC correct? And if your planning on using ipeng as your remote wouldn't you do better with just a duet receiver, I may be wrong but what advantage does the SB Touch offer over a Duet or just a Duet receiver even an older classic SB?? Just wondering..

evan1

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:57 am »
I can only speak to the Squeezebox Duet receiver as I just got one, works great using ipeng, and the Wolfson DAC does an admirable job. Correct me if I'm wrong but the SB Touch doesn't have a DAC correct? And if your planning on using ipeng as your remote wouldn't you do better with just a duet receiver, I may be wrong but what advantage does the SB Touch offer over a Duet or just a Duet receiver even an older classic SB?? Just wondering..

It has a DAC and the difference I believe is it can do 24/96

firedog

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:32 pm »

It has a DAC with native reproduction of 24/96, and the beta testers report the sound quality is superior to earlier units, except for the Transporter, to which it is a close second.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:36 pm »
I should have waited I guess.....oops

tonyptony

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2010, 11:57 pm »
It has a DAC with native reproduction of 24/96, and the beta testers report the sound quality is superior to earlier units, except for the Transporter, to which it is a close second.

Is that same for same with 16/44.1 material?

Alex_G

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:50 am »
It has a DAC and the difference I believe is it can do 24/96

I'd like to add to your response.  Touch uses AKM-AK4420 DAC.

GeorgeHudetz

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:35 am »
But you can connect it to a DAC using SPDIF, so what's the big need for USB? You can use any DAC with SPDIF input, and I think most new USB DACs these days will accept SPDIF also.

Very true, and the reports I have read indicate it's SPDIF output is very good indeed.

However, based on what I have been reading lately, it would seem that a good async USB connection is perhaps superior to SPDIF.  Please, no flames, I know not everyone believes in errors in the time domain, and no, I have not actually listened to such units so I do not have first hand experience.

firedog

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2010, 09:26 am »
Is that same for same with 16/44.1 material?

Yes, do a quick search and read the posts on the topic at the slimdevices forum.