So what do you think of this year's Oscars?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
So what do you think of this year's Oscars?
« on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:16 am »
I'm ashamed to admit that I've been so busy that this is the first year I can remember that I haven't seen a single film or performance that was nominated! :oops:  No, wait- I did see Inglorius Basterds.  And while I enjoyed it, and felt that Christoph Waltz' Oscar for Best Supporting Actor was well deserved, I don't think the film really merited a Best Picture nom.  The Hurt Locker and Avatar are high on my to-see list, just haven't had a chance yet.  For sentimental reasons I guess I was happy with most of the results.  It's nice to see a woman finally win a Best Director award and from all the reviews I've read it was a fine film.  Avatar isn't the kind of movie that usually wins Best Picture; I think LotR was about the only other sci-fi/fantasy type film that ever won it.

One of the things I was happiest over was Jeff Bridges' Best Actor win.  Again, sadly I've not yet seen Crazy Heart (will as soon as I can), Bridges has been fantastic in film after film for decades, stealing many a scene.  His turn as Obidiah Stone in Iron Man is a great example of how he can hold his own among any other actors and elevate a character to a much more memorable level than the material really provides.  After five noms it's fitting that he finally gets a win! :beer:

nature boy

Re: So what do you think of this year's Oscars?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:25 pm »
Rob,

Just watched Hurt Locker in Blu-ray last night (pre-Oscar's) since I did not see the movie when it came out.  It was very good - realistic, intense and a human touch.  This morning one of the actors being interviewed on the Today show hit on Merideth Viera, the cast all looked pretty trashed after the parties.

Saw Avatar in 3D too.  Well worth the extra $, the iMax version is even better from what I hear.  Haven't seen Crazy Heart though.

NB

smargo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:52 pm »
Rob,

Haven't seen Crazy Heart though.

NB

Crazy heart is not such a great movie - But jeff bridges gives such a believable performance - incredible - nails it!

The music is great too - Im not such a country music fan - but the music is very catchy.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 01:35 pm »
Rob,

Just watched Hurt Locker in Blu-ray last night (pre-Oscar's) since I did not see the movie when it came out.  It was very good - realistic, intense and a human touch.  This morning one of the actors being interviewed on the Today show hit on Merideth Viera, the cast all looked pretty trashed after the parties.

Saw Avatar in 3D too.  Well worth the extra $, the iMax version is even better from what I hear.  Haven't seen Crazy Heart though.

NB

I saw both Crazy Heart and Hurt Locker. Crazy Heart was a very good film and worth seeing  in my opinion (I do listen to country music once in a while  :wink:)  but I wasn't wowed the way I was with Hurt Locker. 

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:05 pm »
I saw Avatar twice and the Hurt Locker about a month ago.  While I loved the stunning visuals of Avatar there is no question in my mind that Hurt Locker deserved the best picture award.  Hurt Locker has to be the most realistic movie about modern warfare that has ever been made. 

I thought the Oscars last night was a good show.  Steve Martin and Alex Baldwin were quite funny!

KEn

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:37 pm »
I saw Avatar twice and the Hurt Locker about a month ago.  While I loved the stunning visuals of Avatar there is no question in my mind that Hurt Locker deserved the best picture award.

Haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet, but without even seeing it, that was the right choice over Avatar.  Even James Cameron admitted that.  Serious content connected to reality is more honorable than artistic fantasy. 

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:30 pm »
The Hurt Locker is pretty good.
A must see movie that's for sure.
Jeremy Renner was awesome.(I haven't seen J.Bridges)
Adrenalin rush that can be felt.
(wish I have had seen it on the big screen)

Sandra Bullock - not sure if that was the winning performance (haven't seen others) but it surely was her career best.

Avatar - one of the best entertainers/eye candy but Oscar caliber movie? Not realy.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2010, 06:51 pm »
Serious content connected to reality is more honorable than artistic fantasy.

Care to elaborate?  Taken at face value your statement just seems flat out wrong to me.

--Jerome

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:15 pm »
Haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet, but without even seeing it, that was the right choice over Avatar.  Even James Cameron admitted that.  Serious content connected to reality is more honorable than artistic fantasy.

There is nothing honorable about war,,,, any war imho. :icon_twisted:  That's an unnecessary reality that you wouldn't understand unless you've been there. Give me entertaining fantasy any day of the week over a movie that glorifies death. And yes, I've been there so you can color me colored on the subject!  :nono:  But I'll take nothing away from the movie as I haven't seen it. If it's that real tho, then it'll show the needless stupidity of it all which imho earns a Grammy on it's own merits.

Cheers,
Robin

Ruby Mae

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:00 pm »
 :nono:  But I'll take nothing away from the movie as I haven't seen it. If it's that real tho, then it'll show the needless stupidity of it all which imho earns a Grammy on it's own merits.

Cheers,
Robin

Put it this way...I wouldn't want to be deployed to Baghdad, Iraq after seeing this film. 

Bigfish

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:01 pm »
Guys:

Lets keep this discussion directed to the Oscar's and to your opinions about the Movies and or Actors selected for the awards.

Thanks,

Ken

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:45 am »
Farah Fawcett wasn't mentioned in the memorials.  Hell, man, her best work was in movies!  She shouldn't be dismissed for Charlie's Angels, tempting as that may be.  I mean what else explains it.  Seemed like a major fowl up to me.  I didn't watch it so who am I to complain, only read about it.  Still, I think it's a cryin shame.