What speakers for LM3886 amp (Gainclone)?

roymail

• Roy in TX
What speakers for LM3886 amp (Gainclone)?
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:30 am »
I'm just wondering what speakers any of you guys are using with your gainclone amps?  The output is around 40-50 wpc, and the sound is amazing.  But, I'm thinking 90db sensitive or higher.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: What speakers for LM3886 amp (Gainclone)?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:12 pm »
Single driver designs are reported to syngerize well with chip amps.  I use my Channel Island Audio 40 watt VMB-1 monoblocks with Bob Brines FTA-2000 speakers with EnABL mods and am most satisfied.  These speakers use single 8 inch whizzerless Fostex F200A drivers (91 dB/w/m, 30 - 20,000 Hz, ohm loads).  The F200A uses massive AlNiCo magnets and aren't voiced like most extended range Fostex drivers (no thin  midbass).

Unfortunately the VMB-1's are no longer made.  Unlike nearly all chip amps, these have a very robust power supply.  Like all Channel Island products, they are very well built (not horribly overbuilt), and use a very straight forward, practical design.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:25 pm »
I second JLM.  Any sort of Fullrange speaker that is not necessarily a horn would be a synergistic match to most, if not all chip amps.  I also own a pair of FTA-2000s and they are paired with a pair of PartsConneXion modified Scott Nixon monos with around 40 watts of chip power.  The bass is unbelievably "sculpted" and organic.  Perhaps are those Alnico magnets or the MLTL design of the cabs.  All I can say is that it is unbelievable in comparison to other type of set ups I have compared to. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:07 pm »
Gainclones are a very linear amp,the usual mistake is to build them with an inadequate power supply and fail to bias them into class A.
If these mistakes are not made they can be used with less efficient speakers, but speakers with severe impedance dips and phase angles should be avoided. The old Infinity speakers will make the amp very unhappy. The amp will work fine with lower efficiency speakers up to the point that you run out of gas. In as much as the amp isn't voiced in some way it is pretty much a GIGO device. If synergy occurs it will be because a component ahead of it ZIGs and something after it ZAGs and you wind up with a desirable outcome. The amp, considered by itself, is a neutral piece of gear that will faithfully deliver a larger version of what ever signal it is fed,it is a pretty straight wire with gain.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm by *Scotty* »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2010, 08:21 pm »
Thanks, guys!  My 3886 chip amp has a pretty strong transformer and runs warmer than I expected, not hot but definitely the hot side of warm.  It seems to be pushing class A, especially when I hear the controlled bass and incredible upper end.  The cymbal crashes just jump out of the speakers.  Midrange is real and full bodied.

I'm currently using some smaller Klipsch speakers, 91db-92db, but I'm leaning toward building some single drivers using either Fostex or Hemp drivers.

Any other follow up suggestions appreciated.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:38 pm »
You can also use a separate amp for controlling the levels and frequency of the different drivers.

kip_

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:42 pm »
What is your budget? Salk Archos sounds like the bees knees for high sensitivity if you have $4k to spend

http://www.salksound.com/speakers_archos.shtml

audiophile36

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2010, 01:56 am »
I would definately go with a single driver speaker...maybe something with the Fostex Fe167e driver.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2010, 01:54 pm »
Single drivers and gainclones have a good rep - could just be the active nature of the combo, or could be some kind of synergy.

I have run a couple of types of single drivers with good effect off gainclones in the past - my current b200 Visatons, WR125ST, FR125 from Creative Sound Solutions.