does any one run the aksa through a ht receiver preout?

pauly

can someone please advise me on how to setup an aksa100n through a ht receiver preout?   is this an ok way to go to run my mains or is it better to use the aksa seperately?   sorry i have not much experience with this . i have great ht speakers but i want serious music through my odin  vifa /seas mtm  mains

fred

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2004, 03:47 am »
I feed my AKSA with a Yamaha HT receiver, off the pre-outs.  Not much to it, just plug the preouts for the Front left and front right into the AKSA inputs, and connect these speakers to the AKSA, instead of receiver.  

Chances are the gain from the AKSA will differ a good bit from the receiver, so you'll have to recalibrate the sound levels to get the same SPL though all 5,6,or 7 speakers.  

Doing it this way will involve the AKSA 100% of the time, whether watching a movie, or listening to a DVD.  The only thing "wrong" with it is the preamp in an HT receiver is not going the be the best in the world.  However it will work well -  and improve the sonics from all sources.

At some point you could consider adding a passive preamp.  For example, Channel Islands makes a relatively inexpensive one with a switch for 2 inputs (one could be a CD player, the other - the HT receiver).  Or you could DIY a similar passive out of a top notch DACT attenuator.  Either would likely be a noticeable step up.  Then if you would like to climb all the way up the steps, the solution is to build a GK-1M or GK-1R, which quite nicely integrates into a HT setup.

Cylon

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2004, 10:28 pm »
I am currently using a NAD T752 amp in this manner. In fact one of my criteria for a surround sound receiver was for it to do 6.1 (7.1) decoding while only having 5 channels of amplification built in. That way I'd be using my 100W Nirvana AKSA for the mains using the preouts 100% of the time.

I'd strongly recommend visiting your local Tandy and picking up their SPL Meter, it cost me all of $AU 50 and is not only handy for matching up your AKSA to the receiver's levels but it helps get your surround sound setup perfectly even if you were not using an AKSA.

Eventually I'll be getting a GK1R and using it to bypass the receiver for CD playback, untill then the setup works perfectly well, I just need to mess aroudn a bit to get the AKSA to turn on and off via the 12V trigger output on the NAD.