Vinyl demagnetize

guest48077

Vinyl demagnetize
« on: 5 Mar 2010, 01:18 am »
Hi,

Well I was at the Thrift store looking for some used vinyl and I came across something interesting. I found a working Hand held tape demagnetizer.

SO MY QUESTION IS........ IS demagnetize Vinyl a snake oil? Did i waste 3 dollars. :duh:

I will try it is a few days to see the results (moving house, system is packed up).

I am amusing I do NOT put it near the Cart right?

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts.   

orthobiz

Re: Vinyl demagnetize
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:24 am »
My old Nakamichi hand held demag was a pointy kinda thing, I don't think it would be suitable. I gave away an old Teac bulk demagnetizer, a heavy box with a centrally-lit spindle that would have done a nice job.

There's a hand held unit also, wide enough to do the width of the vinyl, that is simply a magnet (I know betterrecords.com recommends it, is it the Walker Talisman, or something?) And only lasts for one play.

Then the Furutech is supposed to make a big difference, it ought to, isn't it 2K bucks?

I would keep it away from the cartridge!!!!

I have no experience. Post a pic!

Paul

guest48077

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:31 am »
I am in the middle of a move (I move on two days), my camera is actually packed away. I am however a talented artist and did a quick drawing in paint. You hold it by the top "T"....the bottom square is about 3 inches and it is made by realistic.

Really my question is......is there any point to these DEMAGS for vinyl?
MY MASTERPIECE:

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 12:10 pm »
I tried this myself recently. Well, not on myself but by myself. Well, you know what I mean. Bottom line is it did nothing for my vinyl but I heard a noticeable improvement on CD's.

Here's a link

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74091.0

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:15 pm »
Interesting enough, yesterday I was spinning some vinyl. The sun was shinning thru the west facing window, and with it's lower angle, was hitting my table. Well, we all know that the sun thru the windows really shows up dust particles floating in the air. I was amazed at how particles would come within a short distance and it was the "event horizon" of a black hole. If the particle got too close, it got sucked in.

Therefore, the record or record surface has a charge that easily captures the dust particles. To my knowledge, an LP does not contain any iron, as magnetic tape does, and the effects of a tape demagnetizer may not be the exact approach required to neutralize static charges.

I have noticed thru the years that new records really have a charge, sometimes taking my record mat with when I fip or take the LP off the platter, whereas older records seem to very little static charge.

This by itself presents some very interesting questions. How did the record aquire the charge in the first place? Was it during the pressing process, or did it happen when they put the complete record into shrink-wrap? Is it vinyl's nature to hold static, and if so, is it because of the grooves?

This then leads to the ultimate question, is static charge one of the main reasons that record grooves become saturated with gunk? And then I have to ask, is the reason some records don't seem to come clean is that fact that the static has such holding power, that ordinary cleaning won't budge the gunk.

I'm not sure if I have any answers at all, but I have lots of questions.

Wayner

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm »

To my knowledge, an LP does not contain any iron, as magnetic tape does, and the effects of a tape demagnetizer may not be the exact approach required to neutralize static charges.

Wayner

According to a Michael Fremer column in Stereophile I read a while back, there are tiny metal particles in black stuff they mix with vinyl to make it black. See Vol 29, Issue 10. Supposedly, that is one reason Classic Records has pressed some records in clear vinyl.

I have never tried a demag on vinyl so I have no experience or opinion to share.

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm »
Iron is usually redish in color.

Wayner

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2010, 11:22 pm »
Recently I've been using a Milty Zerostat on albums and CDs.
Gary Bedini has apparently gone out of business.  Shame as my Ultra Clarifier worked great for several months before expiring.

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:44 am »
According to a Michael Fremer column in Stereophile I read a while back, there are tiny metal particles in black stuff they mix with vinyl to make it black. See Vol 29, Issue 10. Supposedly, that is one reason Classic Records has pressed some records in clear vinyl.

I have never tried a demag on vinyl so I have no experience or opinion to share.

Laura

Next time you're in Portland, stop by and I'll give you a demo.  I think you will be convinced!

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2010, 02:51 am »
So we are clear static and magnatism are two separate "issues".

Occam

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:07 am »
Iron is usually redish in color.

Wayner

Really? Well, as a wee lad, my Wooly Willy (no snickering, in the 50s, it was a bald guy drawn on a board, with loose iron filings covered with plastic, that with a magnet you'd manipulate  the iron filings to put a mustache, hair, etc... on the character.) That, and the endless hours I spent 'mining'  'au natural' black iron filings from curbside sand. It really was a simpler life back then.
Iron oxide, aka rust, is reddish.

FWIW,
Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:27 am »
Next time you're in Portland, stop by and I'll give you a demo.  I think you will be convinced!

I'll do that Jeff. Thanks

I think I want the record flattner too

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:03 pm »
Found this today:
www.amasci.com/freenrg/bedini.html
                      EXPERIMENTING WITH SCALAR FIELDS

_______
      |\        \
      |  \        \
      |\   \        \
      |  \   \ _______\ S
       \   \  |       |      Obtain two Radio Shack ceramic magnets and
         \   \|_______| N    glue their north pole faces together.
           \  |       | N
             \|_______|
                        S

_______          Wind the magnets with about 50 turns
          |\   \\\  \        of #30 magnet wire.  Wire gauge is not
          |  \  \\\\  \      critical.
          |\   \  \\\\  \
          |  \   \ _\\\\__\
           \   \  |  |||| |
             \   \|__||||_|
               \  |  |||| |
                 \|__||||_|
                     \  |      ________
                     |  |     [ small, ]
                     |   -----[ noisy  ]----------o
                     |        [_motor__]           6v to 12v power supply
                     |
                     |____________________________o

The brush noise from the DC motor provides a pulse signal to the coil,
which modulates the 'colliding' field pattern of the magnets and creates
interesting scalar effects within a narrow pencil-beam pattern which extends
from each face of the magnet out to a few inches.

_______
          |\   \\\  \
          |  \  \\\\  \
          |\   \  \\\\  \
  <<<<<<<<<<<\   \ _\\\\__\>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scalar effect comes from the
  <<<<<<<<<<<<<\  |  |||| |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> joint between magnet faces
             \   \|__||||_|
               \  |  |||| |
                 \|__||||_|
                     \  |
                     |  |
                     |  |
                     |  |

(Note, this process is patent pending, so do not use it for any other purpose except to demonstrate the reality of the effect)

thegage

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:29 pm »
Really my question is......is there any point to these DEMAGS for vinyl?
If someone says there's no point, but you try it yourself and hear a difference, what then? Or if someone says it works, but you try it and don't hear a difference what then? I do not understand the point of asking someone who doesn't have your ears whether you can hear something or not.

And as noted, iron particles can be black. :roll:

John K.

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:50 pm »
First off, iron (or it's iron ore derivative is redish color (as long as we are splitting hairs)). Taconite is a dark color. Mr. Fremer may have stated that there is "metal" particles in the vinyl. Well, what kind of metal particles? I put a very strong magnet on several LPs I have and there is not a hint of any kind of magnetic attraction.

The other problem is that many LP manufacturers say that they press on 100% virgin vinyl. Does that mean that black vinyl is an alloy of some petroleum product and some unknown metal? Aluminum is a metal and it's not magnetic. Why would someone grind some metal into almost microscopic sizes to blend into vinyl just to make it black? Does it give the vinyl some stability? I could see some type of black carbon mixed with the vinyl, it's cheaper. I've also never seen a rusty LP.

My point is, unless someone can cough up what the exact formula for black LP type vinyl material is, drawing any conclusions on the fact that there is something there that can be demagnatized is in my mind, still up for debate.

Wayner

ducatirider

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2010, 09:49 pm »
I believe the black pigment used to color vinyl is pitchblend.  Depending on the ionic state of the iron, it can be in many colors.  For instance copper appears blue in some solutions but a penny is course many different colors depending on its oxidization (also an ionic state).  I think the thing to keep in mind is that the cartridge's voltage is tiny.  MCs are measured in mVs.  Keep in mind that hard drive platters are aluminum which are not attracted to a magnet but the data is stored magnetically.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKr4Lnv0eM
As for static charge, I think it is remotely related because the charge is rotating at 33 rpms which approximates a really small current.  Current after all is a moving charge and is related to magnetic force by Lenz's Law.  The value of this is very very tiny though and I don't think it has an effect in this case.  In a moving state magnetic fields can create voltages.