Pannie 'versions' questions...

azryan

« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2004, 07:00 pm »
Umm.... Wayne, I can't tell if you're saying that you'll be able to put these smaller binding posts on all 6 outputs?

I hope that's what you're saying though. That'd be perfect IMO!

Like those tiny banana plug only connectors?

I called computers4sure yesterday to ask when the heck they were going to get in more XR45's and they said -

"Oh... those are discontinued now."

"What? I just ordered one last week and the web site said it's just on backorder?"

"It's not on the website now."

I never checked if it's still on their website, but I called J&R.com seconds later and while they are also out they said they should get them in about a week. They also said they'd give me free shipping 'cuz it's not in stock so make sure to get guys if you order from them.

We'll see if that happens.

It'll be incredibly sad if Wayne finally says "OK, mods are READY!", and none of us can acutually BUY a XR45!?!?!
Yikes!

spectralman

« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2004, 10:25 pm »
Just so everyone knows, J & R Music has the SA-XR45 in stock now.  I ordered mine last week and it was shipped out today.  Go get 'em!!!

Bill

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2004, 10:44 pm »
I was planning on using the smaller posts for the center and surround connectors.

I did recieve them today. They are a knurled post rather than a hex head like the others. It will be very tight to fit them, but they should work out just fine for bananas.

Thet's very good news on J & R. I might just have to order another one to test out the HT mod on :lol:

azryan

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2004, 05:42 pm »
Sorry,
Just to clarify.... you will be able to put these on all 6 outputs right?

Wayne1

« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2004, 05:51 pm »
No. There is not enough room for 6.

There will be two of the larger binding post pairs for replacement of the main L&R terminals and three of the smaller one's for L&R surrounds and front center channel. The rear center channel will not be able to be used.

At least that is the plan. I will start working on the HT mod sometime in the next week or so and I will post pictures of the back when it is done.

Mathew_M

« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2004, 06:02 pm »
I wonder why Panasonic would discontinue the 45 when their next model is not due out until late summer?  Lack of sales?  Is it too good for the money?  The 25 is still available and I would assume fill the product void until then.

Anyway I just ordered the 45 from JandR.  Will let it burn in for a week and then do a quick A/B with my current 25 before I return it to my local big box retailer.  I feel a bit dirty doing this but my 25 was an open box already so I don't think I'm costing them as much.

pjchappy

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2004, 09:35 pm »
Woohooo. . .I justed jumped on the bandwagon and order my 45 from jandr.com!!!

p

ABEX

« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2004, 11:07 pm »
Mattthew M
Where are you getting info that Panny are discontinuing the 45 model? If this is true I would look for an earlier release of the 70 unit.

In any event I think it is safe to say that for those who have the 45 unit they are lucky as no one knows weather Panasonic has done anything adverse to the newer unit or if they have just added the HDMI interface stuff. I am glad I have mine anyway.
-------------------------------
Taken from AVS BB written by mlandau 2\6\04

from panasonic customer service regarding availabilty of sa-xr 45:

Thank you for your inquiry. We cannot guarantee that a dealer is carrying the product you are requesting...
The model that you have inquired about is still an active model.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

By the way, it took three days to get a reply.

Mathew_M

« Reply #28 on: 7 Feb 2004, 08:07 am »
Abex, its only from what I've gathered here and elsewhere on the net.  Also e-tailiers like B&H Photo and Computers4Sure are no longer showing the 45 as a stocked item.  Not even a special order or in their database.   For 99% of buyers the 25 would probably suffice.  I'd keep mine except that I've read that the 45 improves on the high end which is what I find suffers most on the 25.

pjchappy

« Reply #29 on: 7 Feb 2004, 08:38 pm »
Maybe some places just sold what they had in stock and didn't restock b/c they weren't selling like hot-cakes.

I just ordered one from jandr.com yesterday. . .it was previously out of stock and they restocked them. . .

p

azryan

« Reply #30 on: 13 Feb 2004, 02:44 pm »
Ok,

Just got the XR 45 and replace the XR 25 that I've had in my system for several weeks now (I've owned it since Sept. though and used it in my bedroom).

I mostly expected them to sound the same and the pretty much do, but the slightly edgy top end on the 25 that I've said more than once here NEEDS to be deal with... uh.... is not there on the 45!

Or at least that what it seems like on day one w/ only a handful of hours of break in on the 45.

I'll keep listening and test if it's just my ears at diff. times of the day, but I mostly listening to the stuff that I knew was giving me some probs on the 25. Pretty much no probs on the 45.

I'm still getting it modded, but I could live with the 45 stock.

I'm not totally sure, but it seems like the bass is bit fuller too. Hard to say if I'm just 'hearing things'?
Anyway... I have to say the 45 is totally worth the extra $50 no doubt about that. Sounds like the 25 with it's slight flaws tweaked out -which I guess it is.

If Wayne's mods step this sucker up in any assorted way it'll all be icing IMO.
$300 should not be this good.

Wayne1

« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2004, 03:10 pm »
I am glad you like the SA-XR45. The power supply is quite different between the 45 and 25.

I am just about finished with finalizing the 2 channel/bi-amp version of the SA-XR45. It should be up on the website sometime over the weekend.
The cost will be $700.00 for the basic mod with options available.

The first date I will accept units for modding will be the week of March 1. I will be accepting about 2 units a week for modding. As time goes along, I may increase the amount of units coming through.

The HT mods should be done next week. The cost will be about $50.00 more than the 2 channel mod.

As it seems that the supply of SA-XR45s has dried up, I will work on mods to the new units as soon as they become available.