Anyone using a Streamer by HRT

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Anyone using a Streamer by HRT
« on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:04 pm »
Thinking about getting HRT Streamer through Amazon for $99. All my files are MP3 and on itunes do you guys think Streamer will or does make a difference thats noticeable and favorable? Is it worth it is my real question...don't want to lay out cash for something unless its an upgrade. Thoughts?

eclein

• Volunteer
Re: Anyone using a Streamer by HRT
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:33 pm »
I guess thats a no! LOL..maybe I'll be the pioneer..

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:17 pm »
A new version is coming out. It is supposed to employ asynchronous USB technology and other improvements:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/dad.pl?dgtlconv&1269970605

TomekZ

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:31 pm »
I'm very much enjoying the Streamer + version first. Fine midrange and extension, bloom and spacial quality--also a good palate of tonal colour. Also heard the original red version which is nice, just less nice. Other DAC that I'm intimate with are various Nixon, Ack!, Promitheus, Charlize all NOS DAC as are the original HRT models. This DAC to my ears betters all in most ways, the Nixon being my second favorite in most ways--yet I still enjoy the Nixon USBtubeDAC+.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:14 pm »
Thank you!!!

garyalex

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:28 pm »
I have the Music Streamer.  It's surprisingly good, given the price.  I read somewhere that it measured badly, but the performance I get from this thing makes that a moot point for me.  At some point I'm probably going to upgrade to the new version, the 2+. 

Mike_WI

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:22 am »
The HRT MS was an upgrade from my laptop to -> pre-> amp setup.
First DAC, so I can't compare with others.

Mike

Mike_WI

HRT Music Streamer II's New 24/96 Hi Res asynchronous USB DAC's
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:35 am »
A new version is coming out. It is supposed to employ asynchronous USB technology and other improvements:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/dad.pl?dgtlconv&1269970605
Cool.
Anyone using this...
HRT Music Streamer II's New 24/96 Hi Res asynchronous USB DAC's?

Mike

K Shep

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:42 am »
All my files are MP3 ...

MP3 files are compressed lossy.  You may want to rip your CD's in AIFF, FLAC or WAV all are non-compressed lossless and will sound better.

Search AIFF on Wikipedia.

mikecole

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:16 pm »
I've got the original Music Streamer and I like it quite a bit. It's the first piece of digital gear that I actually don't mind listening to.

sl_1800

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2010, 01:10 pm »
I got the Music Streamer II last week from Amazon, so far I like it better than my Cambridge DacMagic and much better than my Squeezebox.  Considering it's only $150 delivered, well it's a steal.

mumbles

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2010, 12:14 am »
I would appreciate hearing more about why you prefer the Streamer to your Squeeze box and Cambridge dac. Art Dudley gave it a very good review but I am more curious about what you liked specically. Have you been using the others for some time? Are you using the USB connection?

sl_1800

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2010, 09:44 pm »
mumbles,

I had the Cambridge for 7 months and I have had the Squeezebox for several years.  Both of those units were bone stock and so is the MusicStreamer II.  I'm using the Streamer with my macbook via usb.

The Streamer for me is better thru the mids than either of the other two, more  liquid if you will.  Also the soundstage is deeper and seems like the instruments come from a blackness the others could not match.  For the me the highs on the Cambridge were touch to harsh where the Streamer is smoother there as well.  To be honest it just sounds more like quality hifi where the others sound midfi in comparison.

hmalbrt

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2010, 07:02 am »
I've been using the MS+ for 6 months now and it's excellent.  Had used a Lite-DAC AH as well as a Monica III and the MS+ is in another class by comparison.  The convenience of having all my digital music available at the click of a mouse (flac files via Foobar 2000) is incredible, I now listen to digital as much as vinyl.  I am curious about the MSII+ as well as the other new dacs from HRT, but I'm not sure that my 44/16 flac files will sound any better.  In any case, I can highly recommend the MS+ from HRT.

cody69

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2010, 10:27 pm »
I made the move to server-based audio this week. Based on the positive reviews here I purchased the HRT Streamer II and just connected it into my system.

Out of the gates, not impressed. First thing I noticed is I need to have my amp turned considerably higher than when listening to my CDP. Dynamics are missing, no depth to soundstage, and bass is not there. Mids and highs are OK.

I'm really hoping giving it some burn-in time will help, it's been playing about 8hrs.

My config is: HRT->Kimber USB->Mac Mini->DHL BL-1->Musical Fidelity A300
Using itunes with music ripped using itunes apple lossless encoder.
My CDP is Musical Fidelity A3.2 Upsampling unit.

I'll make another thread for suggestions what may be my issue so as to not hijack this thread.

Bemopti123

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2010, 10:51 pm »
I made the move to server-based audio this week. Based on the positive reviews here I purchased the HRT Streamer II and just connected it into my system.

Out of the gates, not impressed. First thing I noticed is I need to have my amp turned considerably higher than when listening to my CDP. Dynamics are missing, no depth to soundstage, and bass is not there. Mids and highs are OK.

I'm really hoping giving it some burn-in time will help, it's been playing about 8hrs.

My config is: HRT->Kimber USB->Mac Mini->DHL BL-1->Musical Fidelity A300
Using itunes with music ripped using itunes apple lossless encoder.
My CDP is Musical Fidelity A3.2 Upsampling unit.

I'll make another thread for suggestions what may be my issue so as to not hijack this thread.

I do believe that you are running Itunes for playback interface, right?

In Itunes, there is a volume bar...next to the playback and also the FF or Rev switch, make sure it is all the way to the right. 

I also thought that the Streamer had low gain, with this slider, you are getting 100% gain, how it is supposed to.  Now, I have more gain that I would ever need. 

cody69

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2010, 11:34 pm »
Wow, great suggestion. The itunes slider was set in the middle; moving it to the right does the trick. Big thanks!

This breathes a whole lot of life back into the music. The dynamics are back and the bass that was previously missing is now there.

Feeling much better about this DAC now :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2011, 02:14 pm »
Just got a HRT Streamer II and I am not a fan of USB for audio period.....but I have just for the heck of got this and compared flacs off a laptop to the original cd in a Oppo BD83SE. also did comparison with headphones betweenthe 2....

Dang it I cant hear any real difference!! Both sound the same and very good!!

This little HRT I Music Streamer is the cats meow!

Alex