Tempest/Extreme Monos

rcj1231

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« on: 30 Jan 2004, 09:37 pm »
At long last, I have my new Tempest and Extreme Monos up and running. Due to some shipping damage from our friendly goons at UPS, I had to send one of Monos back to Klaus for a little rework. Now that I have it back, I am trying to put some playing time on them.

My old amp/pre were the Parasound PLD-2000 and HCA-2200II ( a pair set up as monos). While these work just fine driving my OHM Model I speakers, I was looking for more clarity and just better sound. After I sent the amp back to Klaus, I paired the Tempest with the Parasound amps. WOW! That was my very first impression! Soundstage improvement was nothing short of incredible. As I sat in my chair listening, it was all I could do to keep my jaw off of the floor! I didn't even think this kind of sound was possible. Soundstage was at least double its previous size, and the music had a better balance than with the PLD-2000.

Now, I have had my extreme monos in and set up for about 10 days. Unfortunately, I have only been able to put about 20 hours on them. And they sit idle for days at a time. As of now, I can barely stand to listen to them. I can hear the potential, certain passages of music coming through with speed and accuracy I didn't hear with the HCA-2200II, BUT, they are so grainy in the middle. PLEASE, SOMEONE TELL ME THIS WILL GET BETTER!!!!! They sound just awful.. I just put in Jesse Cook's "Gravity". I had to leave the room.

Last weekend (when I played them last), they started to clear up some after 3-4 hours of constant playing. Hopefully this will occur again tonight.

So bottom line, Tempest = ecstatic... Extreme Monos = more than a bit unsure.

Can anyone tell me how long these take to break in???

Thank you

Matthew Wilson

Your Exterme mono's
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:33 pm »
They will improve dramatically a couple of hundred hrs or so. I would just leave the playing night and day at a volume level thats not annoying, or just at low volume overnight...something with a wide dynamic scale. They will come around, 20 hrs is nothing, I played mine 24/7 for literally weeks noting the improvements. They went from being a touch bright and muddled in the lower-mid with slight restriction in power bandwidth to F******G Fantastic, Don't Panic!!!! :)

rosconey

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:35 pm »
just keep running them,it takes about 2-3 years for breakin-lol :lol:
first off make sure they have a direct to the outlet connection-no extra crap.
second dont shut them down, leave on :nono:
 third play them loud-try amd give them a long workout .
fourth try to reposition your speakers a little, different amps act different
by the end of the weekend the fun should start :o  and will get better

maxwalrath

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:41 pm »
Just got one too.....I've just been leaving the amp on since 3 days ago when I got it...I should be playing music at all times too? I'll have to be switching the NOS and stock tubes out of my pre each time I sit down to listen. The midbass does seem REAL sluggish MWilson...I'll be patient

rosconey

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:45 pm »
maxwalrath-i wouldnt dick around with the pre tubes yet :roll:
the change that happens is big, let the amps settle down then play tube swap fantasy :o

the harder you kick them the more they like it-play  as much as possable-

Pirate

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2004, 12:41 am »
AHRRr  mates, My Stereo Extreme was plugged in in April 03 .  It got much better, but I am amazed at how even today It continues to sound more musical.   :thumb:

pugs

Break in takes a while!
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2004, 01:13 am »
The long break in is no joke.  I too did panic a bit at first.  I have about 100 hours on them, and they keep getting better.  I'm hoping they get better, and I expect that they will.  

I would keep in touch with Klaus, he will probably let you keep them longer than the 30 day trial if you need more time to evaluate.

rcj1231

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2004, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging replies. I do have them plugged directly into the wall outlet, no power conditioners. I'll play them as much as I can and wait for them to come around. Last night, the range of the grain/distortion decreased some after a few hours of playing, but was still there. I even changed CD players just to make sure that wasn't the cause. It wasn't. We'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow.

I may have to run my old system just to verify that it is the Odysseys, not the speakers. I'll let you all know how it all goes.

Thanks again...
Rick

Marbles

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2004, 04:01 pm »
You might want to make some resisters to hook to the outputs instead of speakers and hook a spare front end up to them.  Run a signal through them 24/7 for a week or two and put them back in your system.

That will run them in without you having to listen to them.

Talk to Klaus about the values needed to make the resisters.  Should be very easy to make and cheap from Rat shack.

Maybe even someone has a pair they can lend you?

rosconey

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2004, 04:07 pm »
patience-i know you dont want to hear that :o

when i first got my extremes a friend came by and said they sounded like shit to him,hazy bright ect.
he came by a month or so latter and asked what i changed since his last visit  :o he liked my sound now-i didnt change a dam thing :mrgreen:

monos are like a good coon dog-once they get the scent you wont be able to stop them from running, your pups aint got the scent yet :rock:

maxwalrath

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2004, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
maxwalrath-i wouldnt dick around with the pre tubes yet :roll:

I hear ya...I just hate buying NOS tubes with such a passion I wouldn't to put any hours on them when I wasn't even there.

klaus@odyssey

Tempest/Extreme Monos
« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:16 am »
Yep,  the topic I'm always getting ridiculed on,  break-in.  It is what it is,  unfortunately,  and takes time.

rcj1231

Getting Better...
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2004, 12:50 am »
we're up to about 50 hours playing time and the amps are indeed smoothing out.  :D  Patience...Patience.... :?