Witch processor should I go for?

Ambiance

Witch processor should I go for?
« on: 3 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm »
Hi guys.

I am in progress of replaceing my Halcro SSP200, but I am in doubt of what I should go for. My options are Anthem Statment D2v and Denon AVP-A1HDCI(a)
About the same price but different room calibrarion systems and sound.

A.

smargo

Re: Witch processor should I go for?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2010, 10:41 pm »
you should go with the "Good Witch From The East"

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2010, 01:31 am »
Hi guys.

I am in progress of replaceing my Halcro SSP200, but I am in doubt of what I should go for. My options are Anthem Statment D2v and Denon AVP-A1HDCI(a)

A.

D2v here and never looking back.  Should be able to pick it up for low 5k.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2010, 05:23 am »
Another vote for the Anthem

Ambiance

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2010, 08:55 am »
So you think Anthem is the way to go! Does the EQ work fine and does it sound vell as a pre-amplifire and music listening? I spend at least 90% of the time on music, so I need it to be dynamik and detailed. I`ve heard Arcam AV-p888 is very musical, are these competiable? If so this might be one to consider as well.

A.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:16 pm »
I have not played with either auto set up but I personally feel the Statement is a fine preamp for music.  I have not heard the very latest Arcam processors but so far the older models have been very good vor both music and HT.  Arcam can be trusted to put out a musically satisfying product.  The AVR-500, a receiver, is said to be outstanding.  At $5k it would need to be though :)

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2010, 04:26 pm »
The Anthem D2v comes with their Anthem Room Correction kit which totally takes the guess work out of it.  I guess it is similar to Audessey, but from most accounts is better.

You can also get the kit for the D2 & D1

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2010, 04:30 pm »
A few years ago I was running an Anthem P5 amp (wonderful amp) along with a Rotel 1098 processor and Modwright SWL9 preamp.  In order to eliminate the processor and preamp and have a one box solution I demoed the AV1, and found it lacking in 2 channel performance when compared with the MW.  The reviews for the AV1's 2 channel performance were very good, consequently I was disappointed that it didn't live up to expectations.  I believe my 2 channel requirements are demanding, and for most users it would be more than adequate.  Anthem make great products but I would want to give it a demo before buying.   

Ambiance

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm »
I am geting the feeling the arcam is the safest way to go considering time spent on music.

More and more people are recomending the AV888, so I am going to see if it is possible to test one in my theatre some time soon.

A.

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:22 pm »
Well yeah, that's one of the big questions you'll have once you realize you're a wizard, along with "Witch doctor should I go to?"  It's a big decision, one that should not be made lightly.  Best of luck in whatever you may choose.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2010, 12:08 am »
Well yeah, that's one of the big questions you'll have once you realize you're a wizard, along with "Witch doctor should I go to?"  It's a big decision, one that should not be made lightly.  Best of luck in whatever you may choose.
Why did I know this response was coming?   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:02 pm »
Yea, but "smargo" beat him by about nine days.  :wink:

Alex_G

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:52 pm »
Hi guys.

A.

Ambience,

Sorry for dual posting.  I think it may be more appropriate forum for the processor discussion.
Like you I looking to replace my preprocessor.  Since I don’t have the room, I need a processor that will play stereo music 50% and Blu-Ray concerts/movie 50% of the time.   Based on all of the reports, the Halcro SSP200 is one of the best prepro’s on the market.

What’s the reason for changing SSP200?

I’m investigating Classe SSP-800 and Arcam AV888 as possible replacements.  Since none of my local dealers have both processor in stock and none of the reviewers have Von Schweikert speakers, it’s impossible for me to form any opinions of what to expect in test of sound quality and sound signature.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.