First 8 months w/6xrs Alnico's

kcjazz

First 8 months w/6xrs Alnico's
« on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:34 am »
Evening -
generally a lurker for info, not so much into posting but here goes. Thought I would give a very short review on this speaker with three amplifier types with very surprising results - tubes, gain clone and SS/tube hybrid. I really have taken to the clean tonal qualities of the 6.5 Alnicos compared to Klipsch Corns and Mirage OM7. Seems a layer of veil is removed with the Omega, particularly with the Klipsch and I am a Klipsch guy. Never discount the big Mirage OM 5/7 series, a very good speaker but a bit hi-fi sounding.
Anyway Omega 6.5 XRS Alnico w/ Audio Zone Patek integrated gainclone at 50 WPC. For whatever reason sounded very thin, never had much meat and poor tonal qualities, very surprising as this amp sounded very nice with several other speakers. Possibly a current/transformer drive issue? Very weak at low volume, very thin.
George Wright EL84 tube rectified integrated, 15 WPC (rare and currently on AGon). Ran the Omegas very well, much better bass and mids than the AZ with a third the power. A system I could live with for a while but that generally never happens. While tonally superior and much better overall than the AZ a bit of haze compared to solid state but still more satisfying.
Now the shocker - found a local, nearly new Shanling A3000  tube bufferd/SS (6922) intgerated at 200WPC. I know this sounds nuts with Omegas in that some folks run flea powered SET but it is uncanny how big this sounds. The Shanling is a brute, weighs nearly as much a BOTH speakers and looks to be carved from a solid chink of aluminum, if it said Krell or PASS it would sell for $7K. Anyway, the shear power and current this thing produces makes the Omegas sound three times their size. Big deep bass, huge mid-range and the tube front end makes for very delicate yet detailed highs. Female vocals with some volume are unreal with a soundstage that, no kidding, rivals my favorite Audio Mirror 45 watt SET monos. I also add a bit of 10 inch EPOS sub but  very little, just a bit of filler. Ports are stuffed with foam balls. Louis will probably flip when he sees 200 watts through the Omegas but I tell you it is crazy good. All played at very moderate volumes as the Shanling is very full and detailed at low levels. I just had a pair of Magnepan MG12 in the for weekend and the Omegas were more rounded and tonallly correct than the Maggies. But then again the Mags are $1100 vs $2300 for the 'megas.
There you have it, put some current to the Alnicos and watch (listen) them light up and nearly sound like a full range speaker. You never know about system synergy.
Thanks all / Rich

Louis O

• Facilitator
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
Re: First 8 months w/6xrs Alnico's
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 01:15 am »
Hi Rich,

Many thanks for the review.

I've heard this before and a while back I talked to a reviewer who put the largest monoblock Audio Reseach on the 8" drivers and they really sang. I think these are 600 watts or something.

The 4.5" drivers are wonderful with the Audio Zone. That match does very well.

Thanks,
Louis