Will latency be an issue using Behrenger DEQ2496 for bass only?

mfsoa

Hi people,

On a biwired speaker, if I use a 2496 to do bass EQ (preamp to 2496 to amp to bass terminals) while running the midrange/treble straight from the preamp (preamp to amp to mid/tweet terminals) will there be an issue with latency?

In other words, will there be sufficient time-delay introduced by the 2496 to make this not workable?  (crossover = 200hz)

Thanks for any experience you can share.

-Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
You said bi-wire. Did you mean bi-amp?

I have a bi-amped system where I run from my pre-amp to a dbx drive rack PA. From the dbx, the signal goes to each amp and on to assigned drivers.
Because my compression driver is about 19 inches behind my woofer voice coil in a vertical plane, I use one half meter of time delay to even up the launch points. Can you do something like that? Do you hear a problem?
What equipment is involved?

mfsoa

I meant that the speakers are biwire-able. Sometimes I biamp w/ a class D amp on the bottom and tubes on the top. Sometimes tubes full-range or class D full range - Gotta change things up now and then.

I don't want to do the A/D - D/A conversion for the tubes but was thinking that there could be great gains to EQing the bass.

But if this EQ process will result in a delay in time to the woofers, then I'll drop the idea.  (Don't have the Behrenger as of now)

Thanks

-Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
Mike - Why not just try it? I'm sure you could borrow or rent a 2496 to experiment with. It's probable that any electronic delay would be inaudible. And what about using an analog EQ for the woofers?

The Lansing Heritage site has a lot of guys who are well equipped to advise you in this matter. Most of them use active crossovers and equalizers.

BobRex

As Macrojack said, there will be a time delay for the A2D, compensation/EQ, and then D2A processes.  I differ from Macro in that I feel the delay will be audible at least as a discontinuity, especially at 200Hz.  If you were just doing a subwoofer below, say 80Hz, then the delay might not be noticable, but there's just too much going on at 200Hz.