Audioholics reviews HT2-TL

Big Red Machine

Re: Audioholics reviews HT2-TL
« Reply #40 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:45 pm »
You have to understand I work for the CTO of a $15B company and am around techies and PhD's all day, every day.  And as an engineer who has designed both injection molded parts and die cast metal parts, there is a difference.  And Rich can chime in on other casting processes as an expert.

The reviewer also mentioned the gasket as a vibration reducing item and in fact it is for an airtight seal.

So, sure, it is a positive review, but I can't help being a little less than fully engulfed when I see technical errors as it adds doubt to credibility, to me.  That's all, nothing more. 

As I said, I liked the comments that the bass was there given his volume of space and as a potential buyer I'd be glad to see a positive third party review if I was in the market instead of just tuning in to hear from us "fanboys." :wink:

taoggniklat

« Reply #41 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:00 pm »
All I know is that I want a pair (or 2) of them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #42 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:06 pm »
All I know is that I want a pair (or 2) of them.

Copy that. 

R Swerdlow

« Reply #43 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:21 pm »
You have to understand I work for the CTO of a $15B company and am around techies and PhD's all day, every day.  And as an engineer who has designed both injection molded parts and die cast metal parts, there is a difference.  And Rich can chime in on other casting processes as an expert.

The reviewer also mentioned the gasket as a vibration reducing item and in fact it is for an airtight seal.

So, sure, it is a positive review, but I can't help being a little less than fully engulfed when I see technical errors as it adds doubt to credibility, to me.  That's all, nothing more. 

As I said, I liked the comments that the bass was there given his volume of space and as a potential buyer I'd be glad to see a positive third party review if I was in the market instead of just tuning in to hear from us "fanboys." :wink:

Thanks.  It's easy to misuse technical terms when you borrow them and don't work in that particular field.  I can readily understand that.

I think the reviewer wanted to tell readers that the W18 woofer frames were cast aluminum and not stamped steel.  But, when little details are wrong or misused it can make you wonder what else is wrong.

You're also right about the gasket.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:49 pm »

According to the manufacturer, the Seas W18 uses an "extremely stiff and stable injection moulded metal basket."     I really didn't have any problems with the review, other than finding the discussion of the dispersion properties of ribbon tweeters a little confusing. 

srb

« Reply #45 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:58 pm »
Certainly in common speech and lay terms, die casting is normally associated with metal and injection molding with plastic.

But there is a Metal Injection Molding (MIM) process that uses powdered metal combined with plastic binders, then after molding the binders are removed with solvents and heat.  So if this is the process used, it could be referred to as "injection molded".

Steve

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 3 Mar 2010, 06:20 pm »
Certainly in common speech and lay terms, die casting is normally associated with metal and injection molding with plastic.

But there is a Metal Injection Molding (MIM) process that uses powdered metal combined with plastic binders, then after molding the binders are removed with solvents and heat.  So if this is the process used, it could be referred to as "injection molded".

Steve

Yes, I stand corrected.  A mixture of resin and metal.  Also the "moulded" was a clue to something different like it might be from over the pond but the process is used here also.

gerald porzio

« Reply #47 on: 3 Mar 2010, 07:07 pm »
The other mold.

funkmonkey

« Reply #48 on: 3 Mar 2010, 08:48 pm »
nice review.  congrats Jim, Dennis, Paul, and the rest of the Salk crew.  I would also like to read the negative "press" toward Salk loudspeakers, just because it is so infrequent and it's good to have a balanced perspective.

GhostintheToast

« Reply #49 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:26 pm »
Oh man this makes the wait for my HT2-TLs even WORSE!    :duh: 

Though hearing the same sentiment again and again from 'TL owners about stellar bass production is also assuaging any buyers remorse! 

Kudos on a well deserved GLOWING review for Jim and the Salk team!   :thumb: