For the last few days I have been noticing how the condition around the in-wall speaker was looking rough. At first I thought it was just touch up putty drying out with the cold winter air and shrinking, and figured it was getting time to paint the family room again. Today I took a close look and noticed the wall was wet, and that warm, moist air was coming from the speaker grill. Ruh roh Reorge. I pulled the speaker out of the wall, and found the fiber board to be suffering from moisture damage, and the back of the speaker to be covered in dryer lint (the dryer is located on the other side of the wall). I checked the basement where the vent exhaust feeds into a 90 elbow in the floor joists, and found the elbow in tact but also found warm, moist air flowing through the area, and water dripping down on to the floor (very hard to get to area directly above the water heater). The outside vent appears clear, and does have air exiting. Apparently, the dryer vent that runs inside the wall has disconnected somewhere inside the wall.
Anyone had this happen before? Any advice? I am worried about mold, and will be contacting my insurance agent first thing tomorrow.