Cabinet Troubles - Mark Shifter

BobRex

Cabinet Troubles - Mark Shifter
« on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:51 pm »
It seems that Mark Shifter has gotten into a little trouble with the feds - see "An Interesting Piece of News" in the General Audio circle.  Is this going to have an impact on cabinet availability?

toobluvr

Re: Cabinet Troubles - Mark Shifter
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:57 pm »

Maybe he can build them in the federal prison's woodworking shop?!

:lol:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:42 pm »
We no longer produce VMPS cabinets in China and are using domestic sources.  We will try to hold the line on prices and maintain quality.  Rick Cullen recently recommended a good speaker cabinet shop in his area whom we are investigating.  I do not anticipate any problems with current or future product lines.  The new RM50, for example, was conceived as an entirely USA-made model from the outset.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:51 pm »
We no longer produce VMPS cabinets in China and are using domestic sources. We will try to hold the line on prices and maintain quality.

Not an easy thing to do.  I salute you, sir.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:57 pm »
We no longer produce VMPS cabinets in China and are using domestic sources.  We will try to hold the line on prices and maintain quality.  Rick Cullen recently recommended a good speaker cabinet shop in his area whom we are investigating.  I do not anticipate any problems with current or future product lines.  The new RM50, for example, was conceived as an entirely USA-made model from the outset.

Brian, those new RM50's are some of the nicest looking (and from what I've heard sounding) speakers to ever wear a VMPS badge.  Congratulations!

J

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2010, 07:06 pm »
Thanks.  Those cabinets were made in Riverside Ca.  While production costs there are about twice those in China, we save on transportation and have to invest less money because it is no longer necessary to build a full containerload of product at a time.  We can send our truck down to pick up, inspect for quality before accepting or paying for anything, and find domestic producers eager to have the work.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2010, 08:39 pm »
Yes, the whole affair is too bad.

Knowing Mark, I was saddened to hear the news.

However, as Brian said we haven't built cabinets in China for some time (but still have some in stock).

I have been aware of this episode for some time now and feel bad that it has occured.  Mark was always a great guy to be around, and who knows why or how this transpired, but it has no effect on VMPS or our cabinets in the future.

We still even have a direct connection to the Chinese manufacturer should future dealings be nessessary, but I know Brian prefers (when possible) to deal with US suppliers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2010, 09:48 pm »
We no longer produce VMPS cabinets in China and are using domestic sources. 

The new RM50, for example, was conceived as an entirely USA-made model from the outset.

Congrats to you!   :thumb:

Ryan45872

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm »

Great to see the cabinets are being made back here in the USA! :D

Ryan

newbrook

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2010, 08:06 pm »
When will the existing stock of PRC-made supplies be exhausted?

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:55 pm »
It's not that much more costly to have them made in the U.S. anymore from what I'm hearing.

Dunedain

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2010, 12:53 am »
Way to go, Brian, keep VMPS "Made in the U.S.A."!  :)  It's great to be able to buy American stereo equipment made right here, and it really helps the economy when we make stuff in our own country.  :)