LS9 bass settings

jmck407

LS9 bass settings
« on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:41 am »
Hello,

Just started to tweak the setup a new pair of LS9s, and would like some clarification on the configurable bass settings on these.  There is a resistor network with 5 possible settings, Large, Medium-Large, Medium, Medium-Small, and Small.   Mine were shipped in the Medium position, and I changed it to small to see how things sounded.  Other than the obvious room size correlations, is there anything else that one might take into consideration when selecting the bass setting?  Guess what I am asking is, "Should room size directly correlate to the setting selected, or are there other factors, like  electronics feeding the speakers, room treatments, music, 2-channel/Home Theater use, etc... that should be also taken into account?"   If it is a direct correlation to room size, what would be considered small, medium and large rooms?

Thanks,

John

m-fine

Re: LS9 bass settings
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:20 am »
The best thing to do is run some sweeps and measure the response with different settings and choose the one that works best for your setup.  If the LS are like any other speaker, especially ported speaker, that I am used to, the best curve will not only depend on the room, but also placement in the room relative to boundaries. 

If you are not able to measure (look into REW or room EQ wizard for a very good free tool) than the next best thing is to simply listen and trust your ears.  That is something you should do even if you can measure.  This hobby is about YOUR personal enjoyment of sound, and not about achieving any type of theoretically proper measurements.

jmck407

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:04 am »
The best thing to do is run some sweeps and measure the response with different settings and choose the one that works best for your setup.  If the LS are like any other speaker, especially ported speaker, that I am used to, the best curve will not only depend on the room, but also placement in the room relative to boundaries. 

If you are not able to measure (look into REW or room EQ wizard for a very good free tool) than the next best thing is to simply listen and trust your ears.  That is something you should do even if you can measure.  This hobby is about YOUR personal enjoyment of sound, and not about achieving any type of theoretically proper measurements.

Good advice, at this time won't be doing sweeps.   Generally always make sure things sound right, after making changes.  Usually like to give the changes at least 3 sessions of listening to decide if I like them or not, and get over any bias I may have formed while listening in previous conditions.

Thanks m

stu

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2010, 03:08 am »
I just used the size settings as a guide. All rooms are different, and it could be possible that the medium setting could sound best in some smaller rooms.   I first set the speakers in the location that worked best for my previous set of speakers.  I then worked with the different bass settings until I found the one I liked best. After that, I tweeked the position by moving the speakers fore and aft , and wider and closer together until the bass was at it's best.  I also found that moving my seating position back a little improved the bass quality too.  All of this took several weeks, so do not get in a hurry.  You will know when you find the right settings and position.  The bass will be deep and tight, not bloated in any way.  The bass will sound real, and not draw attention to itself. 
I just got a kit from Danny and upgraded the crossover of mine.  The kit has platinum bypass caps and a sonicap to replace an Erse cap.   A total of 4 caps per speaker.  The install was not hard, and the results were WELL worth the effort.  The sound is now clearer and cleaner, with more detail and depth.  This is without any burn in yet. Anyone with these should do the upgrade!
Mark

I

hesster

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:33 pm »
I am asembling my LS9 kit and will get to the crossovers after finishing the veneer.  Can you provide specifics on the crossover upgrades - platinum bypass caps and a sonicap to replace an Erse cap?  It would make sense to do this before asembly.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:29 pm »
My response to the original poster is to burn them in for a good 500 hours. Move them around to find the spot in your room that will allow them to image best. And don't be afraid to try all the bass settings. It will vary from room to room and will depend on how much room treatment you have or don't have.

I am asembling my LS9 kit and will get to the crossovers after finishing the veneer.  Can you provide specifics on the crossover upgrades - platinum bypass caps and a sonicap to replace an Erse cap?  It would make sense to do this before asembly.

Your kit came with all Sonicaps. You could add Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps to the tweeter circuit though to take it a step further.

hesster

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm »
Can you tell me specifically what to order and how to add / replace goven the wiring diagram that came with the kit? - "You could add Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps to the tweeter circuit "

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2010, 10:46 pm »
I have the Platinum's in stock.

I can show you on the wiring diagram where they go and even show you a picture.

The total is going to be $160. Plus shipping. That will get you four .1uF and two .047uF Sonicap Platinum's.

Call to order.

jmck407

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2010, 06:00 am »
Given the 500 hrs of break in time, and the consensus to experiment with the settings, will be running them pretty extensively in the next few months...lots of time to get things right. :)   
BTW they sound great already, can't wait to hear them improve in the coming months.

Thanks for the replies guys.

stu

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm »
Given the 500 hrs of break in time, and the consensus to experiment with the settings, will be running them pretty extensively in the next few months...lots of time to get things right. :)   
BTW they sound great already, can't wait to hear them improve in the coming months.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, do take your time and you will be rewarded when you find the right settings and position for your room.  And do think about the upgrade.  It DOES make that much difference. 
Mark

jmck407

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2010, 02:41 pm »

Yes, do take your time and you will be rewarded when you find the right settings and position for your room.  And do think about the upgrade.  It DOES make that much difference. 
Mark

I have been thinking about it since your post, thinking hard after Danny's post on the cost.  The soldering would need to be very minimal....to match my skills.   Wonder if the upgrade parts/process is the same for av123 produced LS9's (like mine).

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:15 pm »
I have been thinking about it since your post, thinking hard after Danny's post on the cost.  The soldering would need to be very minimal....to match my skills.   Wonder if the upgrade parts/process is the same for av123 produced LS9's (like mine).

If you have the LS-9's from AV123 then you will also want to replace the Erse cap in the woofer circuit with a Sonicap. So it will actually be a little more.

It is pretty easy to upgrade it all, but if you want someone to do it all for you then you can get the Skiing Ninja to install it all.

toddbagwell

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:15 pm »
I've got my LS9s set to "Large" and I'm pretty flat to the low 20's. I didn't measure the LS9s below 20Hz when running without a crossover to the subs (call me a wuss...) but despite a few room-related issues, I'm pretty darn happy with the combo. (Just a reminder, I have 4 15 inch sealed subs with ample power and a 12 band parametric EQ)

The nines are just getting warmed up, and once the ninja gets the outboard crossovers ready...

todd

stu

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:05 am »

Mine are av123.  I got the first prodution pair last April.  The soldering is minimal.  just solder the leads of the new caps to the leads of the existing caps.  Then remove the Erse cap and install the new sonicap.  It took about 2 hours to do both speakers, and I was going slow to make sure I did not mess up something. If you decide to do it and need some help, I will be glad to give you some tips before you start.  Just send a pm and we can set up a phone call.  Danny does send a a digram and a photo that show where the new caps go.  Just let me know.
Mark