Fanless external HD

Audioclyde

Fanless external HD
« on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:25 pm »
In my earlier thread, I've detailed the noise problems I'm having with my new Ministack external HD.  Getting an RMA and returning it to OCW for their inspection.....I figure worst case if it gets no quieter and I elect to keep it, I will simply use if for my backup drive.

In the meantime, I've been researching a bit re fanless external HD's....of course there are mixed reviews on virtually every brand.

At this point, I'm strongly considering:

--G Tech G-Drive (1TB); many think these are about as good as it gets for reliability and quiet operation (of couse others have had problems with these); this is USB 2.0, but I'll be using the FW800 connection

--Rocstor Rocpro 850  (1.5TB); a bit cheaper, larger capacity; no external power brick.  Can't find as much on these; one guy over on DIYAudio swears by them and became a dealer because he's had such good luck.  This is only 1.0 USB, but again my plan would be to use the FW800 connection.

Unfortunately, both of these are 7200 rpm (haven't located a 5400 rpm with at least 1TB and really would like to go at least that large).

I welcome any input/insight anyone might have regarding these or other options. 

Thanks,

Randy

mshan

Re: Fanless external HD
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
Look at warranty specs on any pre-packaged external drives; many may only be 1 year.

Smarter option might be to buy your own enclosure and a bare oem hard drive with 3 year warranty.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1004-page1.html

doctorcilantro

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:18 am »
I have used Eagle Tech for backup drive. They make some SATA "slide-in" external enclosures. I think the one I have now has eSata as well and I have a 2TB drive in there (off most of the time) which I activate for backups.

May main data storage is fanned in a cabinet. Addonics 5 bay box.

DC

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:42 am »

doctorcilantro

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:55 am »
Yep, and the reason I prefer enclosures is I can slip in a drive for backup, and then another drive of my choice for use; you aren't stuck when a drive fails.

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:34 pm »
I really didn't want to build my  own, so I bought a G Technologies G Drive (1TB) fanless.  Very, very quiet and cool to the touch to boot after 4 continuous hours of use.

Now if I could just get my music system back together (been down for 8 days while wood floors are being redone).

djbnh

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:20 am »
My mobo (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7) supports USB 3.0 and I'm looking to make another enclosure purchase. I tried a Thermaltake USB 2.0 /eSATA enclosure, but USB 2.0 was way too slow to back up my system; nor did the enclosure work w/eSATA, so the drive went back to Newegg. FYI - Newegg and others now carry USB 3.0 enclosures. 

FYI - the  drive I'm using for BU is a 1T Seagate Barracuda ES.2 that a friend gave me for free.  :thumb:

JEaton

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:51 am »
but USB 2.0 was way too slow to back up my system

Huh? Too slow to run a backup?  Never heard that one before.

djbnh

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:37 pm »
Huh? Too slow to run a backup?  Never heard that one before.
Yes, it did back up my system a few times, but USB 3.0 would blaze, and that's what I want. I mean, you could copy files to CDs if you wanted to do that, too, but that would be pretty slow. Thus, I considered USB 2.0 too slow for what I want. Hope the clarification helps.

cjr888

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:44 am »
Just go eSata.  Can't beat the performance and get an external casing and then you can pick and choose your drives.  They obviously aren't pretty but I use the Thermaltake BlacX's (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642) plenty around the house, especially being that I like to have live versions, backups, and the ability to make backups to cheap drives that are totally offline periodically without fuss.