Keepin time with Hemp FR8c

Christof

Keepin time with Hemp FR8c
« on: 26 Feb 2010, 09:31 pm »
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Hemp FR8c drivers.  Planning to throw them in Metronome cabinets.  Anybody build a pair of Metronomes yet?

roscoeiii

Re: Keepin time with Hemp FR8c
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2010, 09:36 pm »
Hi Christof,

Why did you end up going with these drivers? Are these the same hemp drivers that Omega uses?

Just curious what qualities led you to choose these over something like a Fostex, Audio Nirvana, etc.

Starting to plot my next DIY move...

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:09 pm »
Hi Christof,

Why did you end up going with these drivers? Are these the same hemp drivers that Omega uses?

Just curious what qualities led you to choose these over something like a Fostex, Audio Nirvana, etc.

Starting to plot my next DIY move...

Roscoeiii.... I had a set of criteria that I had to meet with these speakers.  These are not may main speakers, they will be used in an art gallery so #1 they must look good (Metronome architecture is sharp), they must fill a large room,  they should be efficient, no subwoofer allowed the gallery space, etc....  I paid attention to the smaller Fostex dipole designs but I felt they would need a sub.  With that said, there was really no other reason to go with the Hemp other than the price tag.  From an aesthetic POV I wish they were white like the Fostex drivers.  If they sound 90% of the Nirvana's for $100/ea I'm happy and I'll have some change left over to throw towards a Peachtree.  I should also mention that I have a pair of Fe167E Abbys and they struggle in the large room...a different enclosure setup I realize.  Looking at this from an audiophile eye it may seem my priorities are a little whacked but they are not going into a dedicated listening room....heck they very well may end up in my listening room :wink:

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:50 am »
Roscoeiii,

There are a few pairs left on Ebay.  Cheaper than they were new, and shipping seems reasonable.  Not that I should be selling other folk's speakers. . .

Paul
www.wildburroaudio.com

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2010, 05:37 pm »
I bought mine from Andre at E-Speakers...he is reputable and shipped very quickly.  Drivers arrived Friday...time to start building boxes.

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2010, 03:53 am »
I'm looking for another pair of FR8c drivers for a buddy of mine...anyone have a couple laying around?

JohnCZ

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:04 pm »
I have a pair, new in the box. Purchased them for a project that was never started and now I'm moving so it may be a year before I can get to it. I think I paid $130. each for them last year and now I see E-Speakers is selling them for $98. I will let these go for $80. each shipped. They are new, never used.
John

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2010, 09:15 pm »
I'll take them....sent you a PM.