BCD-1 question

Ilkatze

BCD-1 question
« on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:30 pm »
I’m wondering if anyone has come across what I describe below in reference to the BCD-1 CD player.  I’m curious to know whether what I observe is normal or a glitch some kind.

I’ll have a CD playing.  The display will be set to show the remaining track time.  When the remaining time is around 3 seconds–at which time the music of the track will have actually stopped or be extremely quiet (because of “fading” out to the end of the tune/piece), I’ll press a button for a track other than the following one.  For example, if it’s track 4 playing, I’ll press a button for track 1, 7, 8 . . . anything but 5.

When I do this, instead of playing the track whose button number I’ve pressed on the remote, the following track will play (track 5 in the example above).  The display will register the 1, 7, or 8 that I’ll have pressed (for example), but track 5 will play nonetheless.

If I press the 1, 7, 8 (etc.) at other times during track 4's play (continuing with this same example), then track 1, 7, or 8 will play after the customary second or two delay after the key press.

I can reproduce this behavior at will, on any CD.  If, in pressing a button to select a new track,  I wait too late (?) towards the end of a track, or act too soon (?) before the beginning of the next track, that next track will play, and *not* the one I selected via the remote.

If this is normal, I’m OK with it.  If not, might there be a software or other fix planned?  I’d like to know either way.

Michael

rob80b

Re: BCD-1 question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:44 pm »
Hi Michael,

So if we understand you correctly, if the display is set for time remaining and any track but the next is selected with a few seconds left it still goes to the next track.
I just tried it but no problem, but I've had other gliches.
Which software version do you have (put the BCD-1 into standby and keep an eye on the display when you take it out of standby)?

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:55 pm »
Tried mine at home - all OK?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:29 pm »
Rob80b,

When I turn on the unit, the display reads, "R02.0" and "2009-11-05.

Just realized I forgot to include that information earlier.

Michael

That's the most recent.

james

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm »
Hi James,

While we are discussing the BCD-1 I might add that I've been running the BCD-1 all day for the last few days while I break in some new drivers on some Dynadio Contours and that annoying tick seems to have disappeared.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm »
Hi James,

While we are discussing the BCD-1 I might add that I've been running the BCD-1 all day for the last few days while I break in some new drivers on some Dynadio Contours and that annoying tick seems to have disappeared.

Robert

Hi Rob,

Thats great news - the joys of hi-fi and the ghost in the machine. :lol:

james

smargo

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »
just my 3 cents - the bcd-1 has run absolutely flawlessly over the months i have had it - changing tracks - random - repeat - etc - oh and the sound quality is so good - very upscale and very classy - bass and detail are superb!

smargo