New "toys" that have made me happy. . .

pjchappy

New "toys" that have made me happy. . .
« on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:24 pm »
Well, I've fairly recently "forced" myself to spend some money on this hobby, instead of all my spare money going towards guitar gear, etc.  It's been an exciting journey, so far. . . and overall, my system is sounding better than ever!

Here's what I have done in the last 7-8 months (a couple things were briefly mentioned in other posts of mine):

1.  In the summer, bought a Peachtree Nova (pre/USB DAC/amp).  Burned all my CDs to an external HD in lossless format.  I am now PC audio based, connected to my USB DAC (the Nova) via a Belkin PureAV USB cable.  Very nice improvement!

2.  About 3 to 4 months ago, made several DIY acoustic panels out of rigid fiberglass.  WOW!  HUGE improvement.  I have had some success with minimal acoustic treatments in the past, but this is just amazing!  Smoother bass.  Better soundstage, imaging, clarity and detail. (See my gallery for details on the treatments) Me likey!  I have eight 2'x4'x4" panels and two 1'x4'x6" panels (for front corner bass traps), used in conjunction with some old Eighth-Nerve treatments (will someday get around to making smaller panels to replace these, too).

3.  Began using my Nova as a pre-amp into a QSC RMX-850 about one-month ago.  The RMX-850 is supposed to power my currently out-of-commission sub, but I decided to experiment with it driving my mains.  I haven't done any "critical" listening involving A/B-ing the Nova vs. the RMX-850, but I haven't felt the need or desire to.  Things "tightened-up."  Better bass. . .and even more detail and clarity.  Now, the RMX-850 is a pro-audio amp with much higher wattage output than the Nova.  Scoff all you want at me using a pro-audio amp on my mains. . .but with the Nova as a pre (and DAC), it is sounding damn good!  SO THERE!  :finger:

:lol:

4.  Installed my first ever power conditioner 2 days ago.  I plugged everything in and was resumed working from my listening position on my laptop.  Had music going at a fairly low volume level. . .and really wasn't paying attention to it.  It was just background noise.  Suddenly, however, I found my ears randomly perking up at some details I never heard before (yes, I actually am a K-9).  Heard some longer lasting reverb and some other details I never noticed before.  I definitely wasn't just imagining things!  Soundstage and imaging improved, too!  However, I would say the majority of the soundstage and imaging improvements were due to a recent adjustment in the toe-in of my speakers.  I angled them out a bit more.  Had my tweeters pointing at my ears before. Now, they are pointing straighter out in the room, with less of a toe-in.  Regardless, I definitely noticed improvement with the power conditioner.  Love the added depth.  I never noticed any "noise" before, but could these details be as result of a "quieter" background?  Who knows?  Who cares?  It works and I am now a believer!  (It's just a $200 Belkin PureAV PF60).

5.  Today, just received some RCAs, Furutech IEC and binding posts from Cryoparts.  Also received some wiring.  Why does this excite me?  Well, they are for the Class D kit I am going to be building, which is thecurrent hit here on AC.  Just placed my order for the kit today.  I'm very much looking forward to putting it all together and putting it through its paces!  I ordered the 1000 watt kit and will be making into a 4-channel amp (for the reason why, see #7 below).  Will be ordering a custom case for it in a couple weeks or so.

6.  Just ordered crossover upgrades for my speakers, GR-Research Paradox 1s.  These things are what got me into this hobby and I'm really looking forward to hearing what the new crossover can do!  Hope the parts get here tomorrow, so I can get them up and running this weekend. (EDIT: The parts actually just arrived!!!  That was fast! :dance:)

7.  Future upgrade:  New speakers.  Plan on getting these in a few months (or less).  Will be actively bi-amping (possibly tri-amping) them.  Can't wait until I have the scratch to place my order!  :drool:  Once I get those, I will "re-commission" my sub (may do so beforehand, however).  These will replace my current monitors, which will then be used strictly for my home studio, for mixing purposes.

8.  Now, during the last 2 years, I've bought enough music equipment / gear to really get me excited, too. . . but that's another story.

Hope this doesn't come off as bragging, or anything.  It's just been fun. . .and exciting!  All this has also just reminded me I need to sit down and listen to music more often.

What recent purchases. . .or planned purchases. . .have you excited?

Peace!

Paul
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2010, 11:30 pm by pjchappy »

Mike Nomad

Re: New "toys" that have made me happy. . .
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm »
I too recently got a Peachtree Nova. Best piece of kit ever (for me). It's like I got a whole new music collection. Perfect combination of stuff (amp, pre, DAC), inputs, and outputs. And being able to switch the tube out on the fly... awesome.

SwedeSound

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:58 pm »
Dumb question, but how do you interact with the Peachtree? Thru iTunes on your computer? Or a Squeezebox or similar? How do you browse your collections? Sounds intriguing.

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:03 pm »
Not a dumb question.  Yep, right now, I am using iTunes.  I actually have iTunes running through ASIO.  Able to do that via VSTHost, Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) and ASIO4ALL.  For details regarding this, check out this post.

Paul

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:48 pm »
I too recently got a Peachtree Nova. Best piece of kit ever (for me). It's like I got a whole new music collection. Perfect combination of stuff (amp, pre, DAC), inputs, and outputs. And being able to switch the tube out on the fly... awesome.

Yep.  I really enjoy it!  On top of the sound, the convenience is a big plus.  I have my HD-DVR and PS3 connected to it via its 2 optical inputs and as mentioned, my laptop is connected via its single USB input.  Still have 2 digital coax inputs and 3 pairs of analogue inputs leftover (one of the analogue inputs can be used as an HT bypass).

Paul

Nels Ferre

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:52 am »
Paul,

That appears to be a nice setup. Also, the PF60 may sell for only $200 or thereabouts, but I contend it competes with units at double the money- or more. As most high end gear is produced in relatively small quantities, we tend to discount the mass market stuff or ignore it completely. The PF60 is the perfect example of a large company's ability to bring a quality product to the marketplace at a very reasonable cost. If an "audiophile approved" company made it, the cost would be far higher.

Nels

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:08 am »

6.  Just ordered crossover upgrades for my speakers, GR-Research Paradox 1s.  These things are what got me into this hobby and I'm really looking forward to hearing what the new crossover can do!  Hope the parts get here tomorrow, so I can get them up and running this weekend. (EDIT: The parts actually just arrived!!!  That was fast! :dance:)
Paul

I just picked up a handful of Sonicap Platinums for crossover bypasses, so I am eager to hear what your impression of your crossover upgrade.  Mine have been burning in since Monday, and I'll put them in next Monday. 

Other recent stuff that I have been very happy with...

Dodd built battery powered Buffalo Dac- very smooth and realistic
Electra cables B7 power cable- detail that I hadn't heard before
Electra cables IC's- increased air around the notes
Dodd modified Mono Eico HF12 amps- these are just so amazingly good. I didn't know that amps had such a huge effect on image and soundstage.  He used much of this circuitry in his new battery amp.

Scott

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:25 am »
Yep.  I really enjoy it!  On top of the sound, the convenience is a big plus.  I have my HD-DVR and PS3 connected to it via its 2 optical inputs and as mentioned, my laptop is connected via its single USB input.  Still have 2 digital coax inputs and 3 pairs of analogue inputs leftover (one of the analogue inputs can be used as an HT bypass).

Paul

I've got my universal player using one of the coax, and an analog pair (SACD), a satellite dish receiver and AirPort Express take the other two analog pair (I can't bring myself to throw down on an optical cable for the sat box-- yet). USB input for going direct off the laptop, and whatever weird experiments I can cook up...

eshal

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 09:23 am »
toys make me also happy...who is one here who also like it :P
well its very nice hobby and helps you in future too :D
to save money  :wink: