Sony SCD-XA5400ES impressions anyone?

mfsoa

Sony SCD-XA5400ES impressions anyone?
« on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:09 pm »
Hi all,
I've been reading up on this player and was wondering if anyone can share first-hand experience with it?

I have access to Krell SACD players (an upgraded MKI and a MKIII) at excellent prices, but even an excellent price on a $6000 piece is still wayyy more than the Sony, and still very expensive, to me.  Also the Esoterics look intriguing, but pricy.

I'd be looking to improve on a Rotel 1072 CDP and from all accounts the Sony would indeed be a step up.

While I have no SACDs presently (and no SACD player) I'd like to be able to play them, and figure in the coming years there will be a lot of used SACDs available for cheap.

The Sony doesn't have multitichannel analog outs but that's fine as this will be used in a 2CH only system.

And it'd likely make for a nice transport if/when I get around to using a DAC/PC-based storage.

So any thoughts?  A step up from the Rotel?

I've read that the Sony is the Yin to Marantz' Yang, and this is the direction my system would like to go, presently.

Thanks fellas

jtsnead

Re: Sony SCD-XA5400ES impressions anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:53 pm »
i can highly recommend it, I bought one before the hoildays and I feel in the last couple of weeks it has really improved to a overall very natural sounding cd player.

I never owned a Rotel but I had a NAD M5 before the Sony, and a Marantz SA11-S2 before the NAD. I liked the Marantz and NAD when I had solid state equipment but felt the overall warmish character of both players was too much when I got back into tubed gear. The NAD was less so compared to the Marantz and a very good value used.

When I first got the Sony I could tell it was allowing more detail through and had a very natural presentation, as everyone else has said it needs alot of time to fully flesh out all it can do.

I think now that I have heard a more accurate representation of the source material
I would not want to go back to the other two players since they kind of did work as a tone control in the system I had at the time which happend to be a Krell integrated amp.

With price difference over the Krell you could go ahead and get an outboard dac and pc system.

Good Luck
JT

jtsnead

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2010, 11:59 pm »
I guess I am the only person that owns one

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2010, 03:17 am »
At least you spoke up about it  :thumb:

Good advice

Thanks

-Mike

jtsnead

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:24 am »
your welcome

i think I read that you got the Wollies from Jim,
I got mine today DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT on my
Joseph Audio speakers

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm »
Hi,

I bought one last year for a little over $1000 through Amazon. It's a lot of cd/sacd player for the money. I really like it and there are mods out for it. You will have to spend way more to beat it in my opinion. Enjoy it. It sounds GREAT!!!

Joe

Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2011, 11:06 pm »
Mine replaced a Rega Saturn. I like it very much.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm »
I used to own one.  It performs well, with a overall balanced sound.

Now, having said that,  I sold it, and went with a Cambridge 840C CD/DAC.  IMHO, the Cambridge surpasses the the Sony in overall sound.  It also makes a excellent DAC.