gutted

dukeofearl

gutted
« on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:18 am »
 :cry: :(Hi all new to the site i was due to collect my Bryston 7BST `s this saturday    (my first non integrated amp)   to run my 105---3 kefs price agreed 2 weeks ago rang yesterday to confirm where to meet/exchange now he has decided he dosent want to sell em .... as i said gutted !!

rob80b

Re: gutted
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:07 pm »
It's just fate, nudging you on to save a bit  more for 7BSST's.

Robert

dukeofearl

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:45 pm »
yes was thinking along those lines are the SST`S much better then ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:48 pm »

Hi dukeofearl,

Yes the SST's used a completely, new at the time, output device that was far more linear than previous versions.

james

dukeofearl

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:54 am »
so if i got say 2 7BSST`s for the front L/R would i be able to use a smaller 3 channel amp for the center and rear speakers or would it be better for another 7 BSST for the center and a 2 channel for the rears ,,
I have also thought about a 6BSST 3 channel for the front 3 and another 2 channel for the rears ,, decisisions decisions !!  :scratch:   
what would you recomend ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2010, 02:19 pm »
so if i got say 2 7BSST`s for the front L/R would i be able to use a smaller 3 channel amp for the center and rear speakers or would it be better for another 7 BSST for the center and a 2 channel for the rears ,,
I have also thought about a 6BSST 3 channel for the front 3 and another 2 channel for the rears ,, decisisions decisions !!  :scratch:   
what would you recomend ?

OH boy - the old Centre Channel controversy!

Generally it will depend on the speaker chosen as to what power is required.  In recording studios they always use the same power on the L.C.R. fronts but then they always use exactly the same speaker on the L.C.R.  In most domestic set-ups the centre channel is compromised a bit as it is usually smaller than the left and right speakers and is placed horizontally rather than vertically.

So my advice is get the stereo working correctly first and then consider the centre and surround requirements and then purchase the appropriate amplifier.  Remember that when you have your 5.1 or 7.1 system operating there is less total per channel power required than when you are just using your stereo set-up. So the stereo amp in my set-up is double the power of the centre and surround amps. Also when I am listening to stereo I only have the stereo amp turned on so I do not have amplifiers sitting there powered up with unused channels.

James
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2010, 02:21 pm by James Tanner »

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:03 pm »

As James mentioned, the new at the time, output devices in the SST/SST2 are definitely worth going for.

Robert

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:16 pm »
It is probably fate and not meant to happen.  I must agree that the SST or SST squared have different transistors etc, and would sounds much different than the ST.  Your ears should be the best judge followed by your wallet.

You buy with your ears and hopefully the wallet can follow suit.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:00 pm »
James,

a 9B can be ordered with minimum of 3 channels. is it posssible to remove one channel from the 9B in order to use it as an stereo amp?
can it be done by myself or only by the distributor?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
James,

a 9B can be ordered with minimum of 3 channels. is it posssible to remove one channel from the 9B in order to use it as an stereo amp?
can it be done by myself or only by the distributor?

al.

Hi Al,

Yes the channels can be removed.

james

dukeofearl

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2010, 01:37 pm »
OH boy - the old Centre Channel controversy!

Generally it will depend on the speaker chosen as to what power is required.  In recording studios they always use the same power on the L.C.R. fronts but then they always use exactly the same speaker on the L.C.R.  In most domestic set-ups the centre channel is compromised a bit as it is usually smaller than the left and right speakers and is place horizontally rather than vertically.

So my advice is get the stereo working correctly first and then consider the centre and surround requirements and then purchase the appropriate amplifier.  Remember that when you have your 5.1 or 7.1 system operating there is less total per channel power required than when you are just using your stereo set-up. So the stereo amp in my set-up is double the power of the centre and surround amps. Also when I am listening to stereo I only have the stereo amp turned on so I do not have amplifiers sitting there powered up with unused channels.

James

Thanks for the advice will get the 7BSST`s and see where i go from there ..
thanks again

My speakers by the way are kef 105/3 (fronts) kef 200C  (center) and kef TDM34DS at the rear  and rel storm sub ..

dukeofearl

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:00 pm »
wow a pair of 7BSST`s just sold for £2505 on e bay

gtaphile

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2010, 06:04 pm »
I had the exact setup with the exception of the sub mine was a paradign servo 15. I ran a 6bsst, BP-20, shelved the kube and the system sounded great. Enjoy your purchase.

Thanks for the advice will get the 7BSST`s and see where i go from there ..
thanks again

My speakers by the way are kef 105/3 (fronts) kef 200C  (center) and kef TDM34DS at the rear  and rel storm sub ..

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2010, 07:09 pm »
Yeah go for the SST. It's a better investment, imo. Better sound and resale value.

dukeofearl

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:22 pm »
if anyone knows of a pair or hears of a pair of 7BSST`s for sale please let me know ,, didnt know you could get em for less than 4K
cheers
p.s will need to be black ,,
mark..
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2010, 06:24 pm by dukeofearl »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:31 am »
if anyone knows of a pair or hears of a pair of 7BSST`s for sale please let me know ,, didnt know you could get em for less than 4K
cheers
p.s will need to be black ,,
mark..

Check with 1oldguy here on the Bryston site, he may have some for sale :scratch:

Be well...

dukeofearl

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:29 am »
Picking my 7BSST`s up next weekend  :D :D  i think my preamp (pioneer SCLX81 integrated)  is going to a bit of a let down for then oh well have to start saving again ... :eyebrows:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:27 pm »
Picking my 7BSST`s up next weekend  :D :D  i think my preamp (pioneer SCLX81 integrated)  is going to a bit of a let down for then oh well have to start saving again ... :eyebrows:

yes you now NEED a better preamp. no doubt.

al.

dukeofearl

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2010, 07:38 pm »
Oh and i got a SVS PC13 ultra subwoofer last weekend  too awesome sub ..

misko

« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2010, 04:58 pm »
I have got pb13 recently... very impressed with it too
..best sub i have heard to this day.. :thumb: