Has anyone compared V-DAC to Scott Nixon Tube DAC?

laserboi

Has anyone compared V-DAC to Scott Nixon Tube DAC?
« on: 25 Feb 2010, 07:19 am »
Hey Everybody,

I'm currently in the process of moving my system to my new house and have decided to venture into a new source for my stereo.  I will be using my Macbook, which will be wirelessly streaming to an Apple TV, which will then send the signal to a DAC and finally to my preamp.  I'm interested in two modestly priced DAC's, the first being the MF V-DAC and the second being the Scott Nixon Tube DAC.  Has anyone compared these two DAC's side by side and can anyone articulate the differences? 

I know the V-DAC is upsampling while the Scott Nixon is a NOS DAC, which results in what sound differences?  Any insight is appreciated.  I can tell you that I'm looking for good bass, rich and involving midrange and neutral/bordering on warm highs.  Thanks again!

Regards,

Pete

Acoquiner

Re: Has anyone compared V-DAC to Scott Nixon Tube DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:01 am »
I can't answer your direct question, never having heard the Nixon. However I received my V-DAC yesterday and right out of the box it blew me away, with input from my cablebox. I had thought the difference would be subtle; it's not. All of the members of the orchestra were in place and the depth was amazing. I personally think that upsampling provided by the V-DAC, which is not available for the Nixon would be a good option for USB input, especially since the V-DAC is significantly cheaper.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:08 pm »
I have had two weeks with my new VDAC and I am very happy with it.  I have tried Adcom 600, Lite Dac Ah, Zhalou, and Entech and the VDAC is superior to all of them.  I am very happy with the sound. 
Howard

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:40 pm »
I have compared the Scott Nixon TubeDac+ to the MF V DAC.  I had the SN in both my systems and bought the MF in addition to a dedicated linear regulated PS to supplant its cheap wall wart switcher.  I also have an older MHDT Paradisea which is also NOS. I need to point out that the SN TubeDAC+ was not the latest model.
The V DAC is very resolving for a unit in this strata.  I immediately added the linear PS so the switcher is an unknown quantity to me,  I had not had an automatic upsampler before but this one is very nice to me.  The amp in my living room system is SS but sounds very "bloomy" and tube like and with the Omega Compact Hemps this system is very clean and not at all analytic.  The older TubeDac+ did sound somewhat dated in comparison.  The Paradisea is also more detailed and as I use (Bolder Cables modded) SqueezeBoxes in my systems, my digital front ends are better than just decent.  I'm very happy at this point,  An upgrade in interconnects here also paid immediate benefits. 

laserboi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:37 am »
Thank you all for your insight.  lcrim, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you using as a substitute power supply for the V Dac?

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:43 am »
laserboi:
I just checked back and I bought this plus staycons for the power input to the DAC,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JTD2K/ref=oss_product

bregez

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:28 am »
The transformer shipped with the V-DAC is a 12 volt, 500ma.  The actual output of the transformer is around 16 volts so the regulator in the V-DAC has to do some work and in the process produces heat.  I read somewhere online that the unit actually can draw around 600ma.  In my electronics surplus I found an old 12 volt, 1 amp “Realistic” transformer and hooked that up to the DAC.  The bass output is noticeably better and the unit runs cooler.