Wireless hubs, adapters, etc.

Carlman

« on: 29 Jan 2004, 06:34 pm »
I've had 2 people ask me to install a 'wireless network'... which isn't a new thing but, I've never done it and there's some new speeds that are out there that I'm not familiar with...

If you were to pick a wireless network for a small company.. say 5 employees... that also wanted to use their laptops while in Boston, Japan, or San Fran... at wireless connection points like the Internet cafe's or hotels that provide this service....

What would you buy?  I'd like to get the new 802g stuff but, how compatible is it with the 'b' speed.  

Is there anything more to this than pluggin in a normal NIC?  I've read up on the security of these on D-link's website and taken note of a few potential problems... but, everything's got problems.  So, I can rename the device names and such..

Well, in any case, if anyone knows some good links to help me understand it better, I'd greatly appreciate it.  If anyone has personal experience with Dlink, 3com, or Netgear equipment, please chime in.

Thanks a lot!
-Carl

srclose

« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2004, 06:58 pm »
I use Linksys 802.11g at work and 802.11b at home.  G is completely reverse compatible with protocol B, so no problems there.  I use my laptop in both locations and connectivity is solid at both.  I really like the technical support at Linksys.  I've used them several times and they are technically knowledgable, not just reading a series of steps off of a computer screen.  Since the new construction/remodeling of internal walls at work was based on steel studs, it was important to have line of sight for each user that avoided the studs.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2004, 08:11 pm »
G is backward compatible.  I use Netgear hubs where I don't need high bandwidth switiching, in a dusty production environment and have done so for a few years with ZERO failures.  

As far as security, you can make it as secure as you want.  You can require authorization for wireless users, and in a situation where there is no domain level security, that's the easiest way to do it.

I wish I could implement WiFi at work, but there is much pushback from customers about security.  Almost every hospital in the US uses it.   :roll:

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2004, 08:44 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
As far as security, you can make it as secure as you want.  You can require authorization for wireless users, and in a situation where there is no domain level security, that's the easiest way to do it.

I wish I could implement WiFi at work, but there is much pushback from customers about security.  Almost every hospital in the US uses it.   :roll:

Apparently, 40-bit WEP is pretty easily hacked.  But for me, living in an apartment building in NYC, the biggest problem is that at least one of my neighbors uses a 2.4Ghz cordless phone....and every time s/he uses it, it knocks out all the wireless networks...  :(

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2004, 09:26 pm »
40-bit WEP is pretty easily hacked.

Depends on your definition of "easily".   :wink:

Ferdi

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2004, 09:28 pm »
Well, g is almost backwards compatible with b. Consider my setup:

Apple Airport Extreme AP ("g") and Powerbook with Airport Extreme card. That works fine and no problem. Very easy to administer as well.

Connecting my Apple to Linksys "b" AP (forgot the type) and generally other "b" networks also works fine.

Connecting my company laptop that uses a "b" wireless access card to my Airport does not work. Somehow it does not connect. A colleague has had the same problem with a "g". Not sure what AP he uses but not Apple. This may be sorted out at some point but I am not sure when.

Hope this helps.

EDIT from here:

It has been sorted out, just not properly. When I put my Airport Extreme AP in "b" mode, rather than dual, my company laptop connects fine (I am using it now).

As long as I am just surfing, it isn't much of an issue. When I need to copy large amounts of data between systems, I miss the speed.

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:13 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
40-bit WEP is pretty easily hacked.

Depends on your definition of "easily".   :wink:

I've heard that WEP is easy to hack every where I search on security for wireless... I would think that it would be.  If you're at a coffee shop with the types that hang out all day on their laptops... they'll figure it out if they want to.  Some of my clients handle very sensitive data so, I have to be super careful about it.  If some of the info got leaked it wouldn't be good... and I'd be to blame.

So, I'm going to keep reading... and maybe install it at a guy's house.  It might be easier to hack than one might think...

The 2.4GHz thing bugs me because I have 2 cordless phone bases that operate in that frequency.  Since the microwave messes up their reception, would that also blow my wireless network?

My only use for it would be to surf the web while listening to music in my special little room. ;)  It seems kind of silly to bother with it for me/my house.... Plus, I feel like anyone could just walk by my house with a laptop and log on.  I would if I were 13 and my parents put me on restriction... It's 2004.

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: Ferdi

Connecting my company laptop that uses a "b" wireless access card to my Airport does not work. Somehow it does not connect. A colleague has had the same problem with a "g". Not sure what AP he u ...

My father has an AP at his home, and we had all sorts of problems trying to connect my Windows-based laptop to his network.  The problem was based in the way Apple and Windows differ in how they encrypt network passwords.  Apparently, there is something in the AP software that will translate the AP password into the "equivalent" for a Windows machine....we did it, and it worked, but I forgot the specifics of how to do it.  If anyone is really interested, let me know and I can go back and get explicit directions...

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:26 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
The 2.4GHz thing bugs me because I have 2 cordless phone bases that operate in that frequency. Since the microwave messes up their reception, would that also blow my wireless network? ...

I haven't had problems with the microwave oven (which is about 20 feet away from my access point), but I did have to get rid of my 2.4Ghz phone and replace it with a 900Mhz phone (which I find actually has better reception, but not as much range and the phone is a little bulkier).

Funny thing with the 2.4Ghz phone...I had the problem that every time I used the phone, it would knock out my wireless network.  However, I have a friend whose wireless network was fine, but the network knocked out his phone calls...

Ferdi

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:41 pm »
Another couple of thoughts about security:

1. If you are concerned about security, use something like SSH or VPN to encrypt the wireless connection. I don't know how to do it but it is done and using a bit of Linux of BSD it should be possible to set that up.

This should give pretty good security. Others may be able to connect to your WLAN and connect to the Internet but they cannot see.read your communications.
(all depends on setup of course)

2. You can get the Access Point to only allow connection from specific MAC addresses. This is a bit weak as these can be spoofed easily but it is another piece of the puzzle.

Hope this helps.

Ferdi

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:44 pm »
Hi Phil, I first thought it had to do with WEP key and things like that but even turning all access control off didn't solve the problem. Setting the AP to only connect using the "b" protocol/system solved the issue instantly. Apple has released new software yesterday but I haven't checkd if that fixes it. One can hope.

Thanks for the suggestion

DTH

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2004, 08:09 pm »
I've heard that WEP is easy to hack every where I search on security for wireless... I would think that it would be.

There are several readily available tools that are designed to crack WEP. The question of difficulty is relevant depending on your proximity to the network you want to crack. You would typically need to collect a gig or two of packets to get enough data for a program such as Airsnort to break 128 bit encryption. The time it takes to collect this data depends on the usage of the network, but in a home or small office environment it would likely take at least week or two of constant monitoring. It is definitely possible to crack WEP, large networks need to use additional layers of encryption. But the average home/small business should be pretty comfortable with the security it offers.

WEP is just about irrelevant though, most new hardware supports WPA. It can be more difficult to make this work just because it is new and the support is not universal. WPA encryption is stronger than WEP, some consider it to be unbreakable, time will tell.

The 2.4GHz thing bugs me because I have 2 cordless phone bases that operate in that frequency. Since the microwave messes up their reception, would that also blow my wireless network?

Some radios are susceptible to interference, some are not. I have installed or supported about 50-60 wireless networks. Cisco equipment has never caused me any trouble. D-Link & Netgear occasionally do, but I usually use D-Link equipment if someone does not want to pay for the Cisco gear. Linksys wireless products have been the least reliable in my experience. Some manufacturers will change the components of their access points frequently, so you can't always count on identical models to perform the same way.

cyounkman

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2004, 01:55 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
I haven't had problems with the microwave oven (which is about 20 feet away from my access point), but I did have to get rid of my 2.4Ghz phone and replace it with a 900Mhz phone (which I find actually has better reception, but not as much range and the phone is a little bulkier).

Funny thing with the 2.4Ghz phone...I had the problem that every time I used the phone, it would knock out my wireless network.  However, I have a friend whose wireless network was fine, but the network knocked out his phone calls...

Hey Phil. Try using a different channel on your AP...

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2004, 03:30 am »
DTH, thanks for that info... very helpful.  The D-link was my first choice because I'm familiar with their firewalls and routers.  Plus, I like their online support.  I cannot justify Cisco's cost yet.

Got any used gear you'd like to sell?  I'll be experimenting with this soon.  I'll look into WPA as well.

Many thanks for this and the other contributions to this thread.

-Carl

DTH

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2004, 08:35 pm »
Got any used gear you'd like to sell? I'll be experimenting with this soon. I'll look into WPA as well.

I occasionally do have surplus/used stuff, but no wireless gear at the moment. You might be best off buying from somewhere like Best Buy so that you can easily return for another unit if you have problems with your phones etc.

Carlman

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2004, 08:16 pm »
Sorry to dig this up and not let it die... but I've gotten more antsy about doing this myself....

Is a wireless network not necessarily going to interfere with phones?

How's that possible?  Different 'channels' so to speak?  

I'll probably buy the D-link heavily advertised at BestBuy... Thanks for all the advice and replies.

-Carl

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2004, 01:42 am »
Hey, you stole my topic  :evil: .

I am probably going to Fry's tomorrow to buy a Dlink DI-624.
Fry's is around $20 cheaper that BB, but I think Fry's is a west coast chain.

Dlink's webpage for it is here,
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

It has WPA support, now.  I looked at the netgear stuff, and was not sure if the $100 router had WPA right now, where the dlink does.

One thing I think I saw somewhere is that if you want to implement WPA, all the pieces on your wireless network must support WPA.

Good luck.
Hope to have my wireless up by next week.

Randy

Carlman

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2004, 08:23 pm »
Well... I've decided on a combination:
I went with D-link because I like their support.  Netgear lost in that department.  I'm new to this so, I figured I'd need help.

Also, D-link had unit with high security and print serving in one box.  That's helpful because that's what I have now.

The only reason I got the PC cards I did was because there was a rebate.  Otherwise, I couldn't tell much difference in what they did.

Here's the models:
2 "D-Link DWL-G650 AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless PC Card 108Mbps"
1 "D-Link DI-824VUP Wireless 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL VPN Router with USB/Parallel Print Server"

I'll post back if there's any problems... especially with the phone.

-C