Question for James RE: SST2 Improvements

bluepearl

Question for James RE: SST2 Improvements
« on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hi James,

A Bryston salesman told me the new 4B SST2 is basically the same as the 4B SST and the real improvements went into the bridged models IE: 14B SST2. Can you please explain the differences between the 4B SST and 4B SST2? Are the real improvements in the bridged units? Would the upgrade path from a 4B SST be a 14B SST2?

Thanks.

BP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Question for James RE: SST2 Improvements
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:31 pm »
Hi Bluepearl,

Here are the changes from the SST to the 4B SST2:

4B SST-2
NEW POWER SWITCH AND MICRO SOFT START
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED IN BRIDGED MODE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

A further change just recently is the Capacitor change:
INPUT CAPACITOR CHANGE and FEEDBACK CAPACITOR CHANGE:
We also implemented the use of some very specialized capacitors in a number of key areas in the circuitry.  There is a consistent improvement at high frequencies near and  above 20K, and up to over 60KHz. These specialized capacitors are installed at both the input stage and the feedback loop of the amplifier circuitry.  These capacitor changes affect all new SST² amplifiers.

The upgrade is only available for ‘SST²’ amplifiers ‘NOT SST’ or previous models.

The 7B and 14B changed the most from the SST to the SST2 because they are "series" amplifiers:

14B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED - IN TO OUT
NEW POWER SUPPLY PCB
NEW CHASSIS
REDUCED WIRING
NEW OUTPUT CHOKES
LOWER THD AND NOISE

bluepearl

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:51 pm »
Hi James,

How can you tell if a 4B SST2 has the new input capacitors and feedback capacitors?

It appears the largest improvement between 4BSST2 and 14BSST2 is the "fully balanced", would you agree?

Can you explain "series" amplifiers?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:58 pm »
Hi James,

How can you tell if a 4B SST2 has the new input capacitors and feedback capacitors?

It appears the largest improvement between 4BSST2 and 14BSST2 is the "fully balanced", would you agree?

Can you explain "series" amplifiers?

Thanks.

Hi,

The newer designs have a bevel on all 4 sides of the faceplate.  The older units have the bevel only on the top and bottom.

Series just means the way the output stage is configured.

james

joey116

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:00 pm »
New capacitors started  with.....4B - SST² - 004719

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

Also let me restate that these capacitor changes are 'evolutionary'  not  'revolutionary'  so I do not want folks spending money needlessly.  A lot will depend on the rest of the system as to these changes making any significant difference in your particular setup.

james

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:29 pm »
The 7B and 14B changed the most from the SST to the SST2 because they are "series" amplifiers:

14B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED - IN TO OUT
NEW POWER SUPPLY PCB
NEW CHASSIS
REDUCED WIRING
NEW OUTPUT CHOKES
LOWER THD AND NOISE

Let the specs speak and sound:
SPECIFICATIONS AVAILABLE TO ALL SST² AMPLIFIERS
Distortion < 0.005% from 20Hz to 20kHz at rated output into 8 Ohms
IM or THD+noise < 0.007% from 20Hz to 20kHz at rated output into 4 Ohms
Noise
(Measured with input shorted; 20Hz. to 20kHz.)
>110dB below rated output @ 29dB gain (-75dBu)
>113dB below rated output @ 23dB gain (-78dBu)
>116dB below rated output @ 17dB gain (-78dBu)*
*setting available on models 6B & 9B only
Slew rate Greater than 60 volts per microsecond
Power bandwidth From less than 1 Hz to over 100 kHz
Damping factor Over 300 at 20 Hz, ref. 8 Ohms
Input Impedance 2B, 3B, 4B, 6B, 9B - 50k Ohms single ended, 40k Ohms balanced
7B, 14B, 28B - 15k Ohms single ended, 20k Ohms balanced

SPECIFICATIONS AVAILABLE TO ALL SST AMPLIFIERS
Distortion < 0.005% from 20Hz to 20kHz at rated output into 8 Ohms
IM or THD+noise < 0.007% from 20Hz to 20kHz at rated output into 4 Ohms
Noise
(Measured with input shorted; 20Hz. to 20kHz.)
>110dB below rated output @ 29dB gain (-75dBu)
>113dB below rated output @ 23dB gain (-78dBu)
>116dB below rated output @ 17dB gain (-78dBu)*
*setting available on models 6B & 9B only
Slew rate Greater than 60 volts per microsecond
Power bandwidth From less than 1 Hz to over 100 kHz
Damping factor Over 300 at 20 Hz, ref. 8 Ohms
Input Impedance 50k Ohms single-ended, 20k Ohms balanced (10k each leg)

:wink:

Isaac.

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:59 pm »
Though the changes were evolutionary, still have to say that there is a feeling of being slighted due to the proximity of my serial number (00461X) to the point at which the upgrades occurred.  I feel I echo the sentiment of many here who are ardent Bryston fans.  While this amount of $$$ for others may not be significant, it was for me and knowing that there was something better a few units down the line is unsettling.  Oh well, such is high tech world in general.  For computers and phones this is to be expected; hi-end audio I expect more of a 'freeze' for each model specification--but that's probably just me. 

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:13 pm »
Virtually all high end manufacturers make changes in models.  Most often you don't even hear about them (in fact it is probably the exception when you do).  It could be due to a sonic improvement or they could not get or negotiated a cheaper price on some component that was substantially the same as the prior one.  You should be happy that you have 100% transparency from Bryston on the changes and honesty from James on the changes (vs. marketing hype).  Sometimes the changes are due to problems they don't want to air like speakers with concrete baffles changed to a composite material for sonic reasons that are really due to (the concrete) cracking when the units get shipped long distances.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:15 pm »
Hi Isaac,

I am sorry you feel that way but a 'freeze' is against all we stand for. We are always trying to improve on our products and if through research we find a better way or more accurate way to offer improvements I think it is always in the best interest of our customers to offer those improvements as soon as we can.

james

canucks0

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
James,

Can you indicate the difference between the 7B SST2 C series and the 7B SST2 Pro series outside of the faceplate and handles?

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:54 pm »
James,
I thought I read somewhere that some of the bigger amps also got new transformers?

I know you get these questions asked to you over and over - would some type of a matrix or grid with the changes to the amp models, serial number ranges, amp model help so you don't have to keep repeating or explaining?  You could make it a sticky for everyone to refer to.

canucks0

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm »
Sorry, James..I know the faceplate and handles are different as well as the gain control exclusive to the pro series. Anything else different cosmetically and electronically?

dirk

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:27 pm »
New capacitors started  with.....4B - SST² - 004719
and the 3b-sst2 ?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2010, 11:57 pm »
and the 3b-sst2 ?

Read the sticky at the top of the forum  :wink:

VOLKS

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:30 am »
Though the changes were evolutionary, still have to say that there is a feeling of being slighted due to the proximity of my serial number (00461X) to the point at which the upgrades occurred.  I feel I echo the sentiment of many here who are ardent Bryston fans.  While this amount of $$$ for others may not be significant, it was for me and knowing that there was something better a few units down the line is unsettling.  Oh well, such is high tech world in general.  For computers and phones this is to be expected; hi-end audio I expect more of a 'freeze' for each model specification--but that's probably just me.
I agree with you 100% Isaac.........damm i feel like this 4BSST2 along with the BCD-1 is becomming like a $200 Blue Ray player that needs updates every so often.........My 4BSST2  serial number is also kinda close to the new 004719...........so my question is how much for the Ùpgrade?

1ZIP

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:36 am »
Since the 4BSST2 upgrade seems to be minor I think i'll wait until there are a few more changes made, then at some point send it back to have them all installed.  Hopefully when the 4BSST3 is released the 4BSST2 can be upgraded to the SST3. 

What is irritating is that apparently the software upgrades to the BCD-1 can only be done if you have a PC or send it back to Bryston service to have them installed.  That fact that the MAC operating system is not supported and the upgrades can not be done via a CD (like Sony's BluRay players) seems to be pretty short sighted.  I could probably understand it if there were Bryston dealers on every street corner so you could take it in and have the upgrades installed, but there isn't.  So in my case it would involve shipping the BCD-1 3,000 miles each way at the mercy of FedEx, USPS or UPS.  But then maybe there are technical reasons I am not aware of, still....

skunark

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2010, 05:14 am »
If your mac has an Intel CPU then you can always use boot camp and install windows on a very small partition and even use a USB/Firewire drive with Windows installed.   If you don't want to do the partition/external HDD you can even try VirtualBox/VMware/Parallels. Sadly all of those options will require you to purchase at least an OEM version of Windows.

95Dyna

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:14 pm »

I bought a new truck in 2003.  The particular model's first year was 2002 and it is still in production.  There were several notable improvements in the 2004 model and many more from then until now.  I didn't go back to GMC every year complaining that I got screwed out of the improvements.  If GM chose to "freeze" their product from improvements the competition would eat them alive in short order.  Bryston is a business that has to do the same thing GM does to keep the business healthy by keeping its products competitive.